FG 637 Turbo and non-Turbo.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I'll link this thread as a starter to this comparison.( Well a bit of a comparison.) http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...erences-between-4d34-and-4d33?highlight=turbo

My sister recently bought herself a Canter, it's a 2002 Fg 637. Same model as mine but 2 years later so I believe everything as far as gearing is the same but is fitted with an after market Turbo. We did some basic running around to get a few figures on the set up. Maximum boast pressure that I saw was 14 Psi , maximum exhaust temp was 527deg C pre turbo. Air cleaner is pretty much stock with pipe running from top of cleaner to turbo then to inter-cooler that is mounted in front of radiator and back to intake manifold. The exhaust manifold is an "Alan's design" as in home made and looks like a good job. It is fitted with a 3" exhaust but doesn't have an exhaust brake fitted even though it has a place for it. The turbo is a Garrett Honeywell with these numbers on the tag (if they make sense to anyone) 759548 - 5005S QFM 09623.

DSC00124a.jpg DSC00125a.jpg
DSC00127a.jpg DSC00129a.jpg
DSC00128a.jpg

It certainly has a different feel to driving it on the road wherein mine you have to keep the foot down to maintain 100Ks on any slight incline. Hers seemed to have a lot less problem. Is it mind blowing --No but it is lot better.

We then took both for a drive up to Kroombit Tops National Park for a couple of days 4wding. On the drive up the range to the main entrance they have bitumen on the steep climbs up and even though my sister was a Klm or so back every time she had no trouble catching me up. On one of the steeper climbs I was labouring along in 3rd gear and could see she was catching up real fast but we still had a way to go to the top and I was looking for 2nd gear. She would have made it up in 3rd not a problem.

A lot of the driving that we did up there was 2nd and 3rd high range with some slower sections done in low range. Fuel usage for the run in mine worked out to be 21.1 litres/100Klm for my sisters 22 litres/100Klm. I believe highway usage would be on equal or better for the turbo setup because to hold my speed I have keep the foot down where hers runs along a lot easier. We will take a run together some time and have that answer. But maybe not. Is .9 of a litre of fuel going to stop me from fitting a Turbo anyway "NO" I Don't think so.

Dan.

Attachments

• DSC00123a.jpg
    DSC00123a.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 25

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
It is fitted with a 3" exhaust but doesn't have an exhaust brake fitted even though it has a place for it.

View attachment 242666
If you are looking for a 3" exhaust brake I can help you out a bit, information wise.
When I changed my exhaust from the Fuso OEM 2 1/4" system to a custom 3" system, I used a butterfly assembly from an Isuzu. Surprisingly, It was a very simple change-over, as only two things were different.
  1. The butterfly opened in the opposite direction. Taking it off and turning it around fixed that.
  2. The actuating lever had the wrong orientation. I welded up the hole in the lever, drilled and filed it out to get the right orientation.

This is my Fuso actuator mechanism attached to an Isuzu 3" butterfly assembly.

exhaust_brake.jpg

If you want to track one down, the butterfly assembly is off an Isuzu FVR33, 1996-2000 model, with a Sitec 6hh1-s engine.

Amesz00

Adventurer
Do you know what rpm it makes full boost? And/or 10psi?
Also 530deg pre turbo is really cold.. sure it isn't a faulty sensor/gauge? If not then the fuel could safely be turned up a fair bit yet...

Flys Lo

Adventurer
I'm guessing the fuel hasn't been turned up at all - if you start doing that, that's when you will really see the performance improvement.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Do you know what rpm it makes full boost? And/or 10psi?
Also 530deg pre turbo is really cold.. sure it isn't a faulty sensor/gauge? If not then the fuel could safely be turned up a fair bit yet...

Didn't check RPM at full boost but I'm inclined to say better than 2500 as the boost gauge is just sitting loss at the time being (cable tied to bottom of steering column ). It was that way and I was busy looking at it and not taking notice of revs. But to say that I was in second gear and feeding it some. Will try to see if we can get it nailed down to a figure.

I believe that temp gauge/sensor is probably fine, it is actually an aircraft one that has been fitted (so good quality). I'm also going to say that the fuel hasn't been increased (also my guess ). The exhaust looks to be burning clean at all stages.

Dan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94