Advice on using campground fire ring grill

JED THE SPREAD

CampervanCulture.com
We built a potable BBQ grill/fire pit that attaches to the rear spare tire....
It has a solid bottom to collect ashes. A grate above that to hold the wood or charcoal. And an adjustable grate above that to cook on.
We have trimmed it down a little so it doesn't stick out so far off the rear.

View attachment 242961View attachment 242962View attachment 242963

The strap was a precaution. It was our first journey with the grill/pit. It snugs against the tire with the latches.

Blimey... That should get a decent blaze going!

Jed

upndown

Adventurer

compadre

Hi!
What about this one?

21823770.jpg

how i made it:

MTaco

Adventurer
Another old trick to clean the grate if you don't have a wire brush is to ball up a piece of aluminum foil and scrub the grate with that. It works really well and I almost always have foil with when I'm camping. Thats my 2 cents.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I was just given a big charcoal grill for free and the cast iron grates were disgusting. I'm a total cheapskate and don't want to buy new grates for a free grill, so I figured I'd use a trick for cleaning cast iron cookware on this grill. Basically all you want to do is get the grates as hot as possible, I was over 550 on my grill. Once it's had some time to burn for a while I wire brushed the funk off with ease. So on a campground grill you could probably do the same, just make a giant fire and let it burn down to coals then brush the grill off and apply oil immediately before cooking.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Black Dog on 8/30/14 said:
. . . . Basically all you want to do is get the grates as hot as possible, I was over 550 on my grill. Once it's had some time to burn for a while I wire brushed the funk off with ease. So on a campground grill you could probably do the same, just make a giant fire and let it burn down to coals then brush the grill off and apply oil immediately before cooking.

Exactly. No special equipment required.

Robert Bills on 8/26/14 said:
Just get the grill hot, use a wire brush to clean off the crud, spray with a bit of cooking oil.

t42beal13t

Adventurer
I brushed the grill slats at the campground and grilled up some very good tasting salmon!

But that front runner grill really has my attention and I'll have to keep it on my future purchases list.

Honu

lost on the mainland
WOW those pics were deceptive :) thought cool little thing then WOW thats huge on the back of the rig :) looks like a kick drum :)

nice setup for fires though and love the van !!!!!

We built a potable BBQ grill/fire pit that attaches to the rear spare tire....
It has a solid bottom to collect ashes. A grate above that to hold the wood or charcoal. And an adjustable grate above that to cook on.
We have trimmed it down a little so it doesn't stick out so far off the rear.

View attachment 242961View attachment 242962View attachment 242963

The strap was a precaution. It was our first journey with the grill/pit. It snugs against the tire with the latches.

4x4BNB

Adventurer
WOW those pics were deceptive :) thought cool little thing then WOW thats huge on the back of the rig :) looks like a kick drum :)

nice setup for fires though and love the van !!!!!

Thank u :)

It's really lighter than it looks and REAL easy to set up and mount...we love it!!!

When we were planning our trip to Dearh Valley, I read that you could not have a fire unless it was in an already established fire pit. So my buddy and I designed and built this one. It's off the ground so no scarring the earth, you can collect and dispose of your ashes, and it stowes in an area that is out of the way. Plus I was not too thrilled with the propane camp fire idea.

libarata

Expedition Leader
160 degrees Centigrade, not Fahrenheit would likely do the trick, but you'd have to hold that temperature for some amount of time (Wikipedia suggests an hour in its article on dry heat sterilization).

I think your reference to 160 (assuming Fahrenheit) comes from safe internal food temp guidelines. My guess is that 160 Fahrenheit will kill most food borne pathogens, but much higher temperatures are required for true sterilization in the medical sense of the term.

Grating over a fire is not "dry heat" but direct heat. When referring to dry or wet heat, you are referencing atmospheric heat, and water vapor content. Place, and burn your fuel evenly across the entire grate, and allowing the grate to sit as close to/in the fire will ensure a food safe surface, so long as the crud is fired evenly. All scrubbing does, is remove the residue from your food that is being introduced from the grate.

Camadile

Supporting Sponsor - Mojoe Outfitters
Here's an option: Whenever I am at a developed campsite, I use my Mojoe Griddle directly on the campfire grate:

Jimmy with Mojoe.jpg

You can use it to cook just about everything you want over the campfire and you can also put pots directly on the Griddle like a stove keeping the outside of the pots clean!

Cam
www.mojoeoutfitters.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles