Advice on using campground fire ring grill

t42beal13t

Adventurer
I've cooked on the campground fire ring grates before but I normally put down aluminum foil over the dirty, exposed grates. However, today I saw a commercial advertising the Yoshi grill grate mat, which is supposed to cover the grate with a nonstick pad for cooking. I understand the as seen on tv products are mostly gimmicky, but are there any similar products on the market for this need? I'm looking for something portable, maybe a folding grate or roll up mat?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator

I love the idea of that thing, but in reality I think it's a bust for me. Aside from the fact that my tire is still under the chassis, you can't adjust the height of the grilling surface at all. For myself, I'm seriously considering investing in something like the Roadii firegrill because it would satisfy our local need to have fires off the ground in some areas and could also be used over an installed firepit.

stingray1300

Explorer
Once the grating gets to 161º, it sterilizes everything that was ever on it. If you must, take a Scotch Pad, get it wet, and after the grating gets good and hot, scrub the grating quickly. It'll be cleaner than you can believe in a few seconds. This is my method for cleaning my grill at home ALWAYS...

702krawler

Adventurer
160 degrees Centigrade, not Fahrenheit would likely do the trick, but you'd have to hold that temperature for some amount of time (Wikipedia suggests an hour in its article on dry heat sterilization).

I think your reference to 160 (assuming Fahrenheit) comes from safe internal food temp guidelines. My guess is that 160 Fahrenheit will kill most food borne pathogens, but much higher temperatures are required for true sterilization in the medical sense of the term.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I'm a big fan of the FrontRunner brai grill and have enjoyed many meals on mine. Steaks, eggs, pancakes, you name it!

JED THE SPREAD

CampervanCulture.com
I love the idea of that thing, but in reality I think it's a bust for me. Aside from the fact that my tire is still under the chassis, you can't adjust the height of the grilling surface at all. For myself, I'm seriously considering investing in something like the Roadii firegrill because it would satisfy our local need to have fires off the ground in some areas and could also be used over an installed firepit.

We cook on our Roadii fire grill all the time it really is an amazing bit of kit. The key to the design is the adjustable grill hight via the chain being fed down the legs. The Roadii lightweight is only available through the CVC web shop as it was designed especially for CVC by Roadii s the Roadii original was a bit to big for overland travel.

We cooked our christmas dinner on ours while overlanding through North Africa this year, take a look at 09:18 onwards in this video to see it in action,

http://campervanculture.com/2014/03/morocco-overland-episode-3-journey-to-christmas/

And again at in this video 22.50 onwards,

http://campervanculture.com/2014/07/morocco-overland-episode-5-sahara/

I hope this helps,

Jed

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'd rather use the Walmart folding grill than waste time cleaning a skanky campground grill or using a grill condom.
They're $10 and are trailer-trash-friendly...

jhill15

Explorer
I'd rather use the Walmart folding grill than waste time cleaning a skanky campground grill or using a grill condom.
They're $10 and are trailer-trash-friendly...
Im with ya, I have used aluminum foil over the campsite grill and the foil rip and my weiner rub all against the grill...yukkk lol jk but really who knows what lies on the bare grill grate.

We have one of these http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Backya...nch-Foldable-Portable-Charcoal-Grill/19597693
They fold up flat and store easy and ive had mine for about 6 years and its still kickin, all though this one in the link is an upgraded version with a nice black finish. Mines bare metal. Anywho $12 from walmart.

4x4BNB

Adventurer
We built a potable BBQ grill/fire pit that attaches to the rear spare tire....
It has a solid bottom to collect ashes. A grate above that to hold the wood or charcoal. And an adjustable grate above that to cook on.
We have trimmed it down a little so it doesn't stick out so far off the rear.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

The strap was a precaution. It was our first journey with the grill/pit. It snugs against the tire with the latches.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
We built a potable BBQ grill/fire pit that attaches to the rear spare tire....
It has a solid bottom to collect ashes. A grate above that to hold the wood or charcoal. And an adjustable grate above that to cook on.
We have trimmed it down a little so it doesn't stick out so far off the rear.

View attachment 242961View attachment 242962View attachment 242963

The strap was a precaution. It was our first journey with the grill/pit. It snugs against the tire with the latches.
Isn't that the solid rocket booster from Apollo 10?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
We cook on our Roadii fire grill all the time it really is an amazing bit of kit. The key to the design is the adjustable grill hight via the chain being fed down the legs. The Roadii lightweight is only available through the CVC web shop as it was designed especially for CVC by Roadii s the Roadii original was a bit to big for overland travel.[/url]

Well aware, Jed! Your vids are how I found the whole kit, and I'm smitten. The only negative for me is that I'm sure shipping to California will be crippling. ;-)

JED THE SPREAD

CampervanCulture.com
Well aware, Jed! Your vids are how I found the whole kit, and I'm smitten. The only negative for me is that I'm sure shipping to California will be crippling. ;-)

It will be a few quid but if you are serious about getting one I can get you a shipping quote if you like? Give me a shout when your ready :chef:

Jed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier