Body type and finding an oil leak

gtbensley

Explorer
Update!!! Pulled this off and found it all messed up. What is it and can I just buy a new one?

And this is where it goes

Yes these are two different things. I have a 1995 e350 ambulance. It's a non box modle but I can't figure out if it's an extended version or regular length van. The door card says body is DJ but I can't figure out what that pertains to.

Anyone have insight on what length it is?

I should add, I measured from the wheel to the bumper and that length is 37".

I also have an oil leak, unable to determine if its the rear main seal leaking or if it's coming from the turbo and running down the bell housing. The turbo was recently removed to install a new fuel pump so I wonder if something happend then? Leaks once hot and being driven hardish. Once you park and let it sit it will start to drip, can get a small puddle maybe four inches wide. I have cleaned up the whole engine as best I can but can't determine if its leaking up high in the valley. The very back is damp right bellow the turbo while the rest is dry.

Van is a 1995 7.3 with 153k on it.

Thanks

Last edited:

gtbensley

Explorer
Ok so I traced the oil leak down. With the dog house off facing the front of the vehicle the turbo has a sensor on the left hand side. It seems to be coming from that.

See the left valve cover? The white wire mesh covering a wire that leads to a small black sensor. Looks like the turbo needs to come out to replace it. Anyone know what sensor this is?

Last edited:

gtbensley

Explorer
Could someone measure from the rear wheel to the bumper on either a regular length or extended body for me? Trying to order that rear body panel.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I have been looking around for the DJ, but no idea. I think your best bet, is writing your VIN down, and breaking apart each portion of it. Should contain everything from your motor, the day is was manufactured, and frame I think.

djbonsu

Adventurer
If the valley is wet, I suspect a turbo pedestal leak from the last maintenance performed. maybe an oil ring got pinched? Were the o-rings in the pedestal changed during the fuel pump swap?

86scotty

Cynic
It's an extended length van. A pic would get you a quicker response of course but I've never seen a regular length Ford van ambulance. Also, 37" from rear wheel well to bumper is a dead give away. It's about 1' from the wheel well to rear bumper of a regular body van.

gtbensley

Explorer
You guys are the best, thank you. I will get a picture up as soon as I can figure out how. I was imagining it was on EB as well but just didn't know.

The rear of the valley is wet, I believe the oil seals were all replaced but maybe one did get pinched. It doesn't seem nearly as wet in the rear of the valley as the amount of oil that drips down about 3-5 minutes after shutting it off.

mikracer

Adventurer
I almost bought a 7.3 PSD van that had some sort of leak. When I asked a local shop about it, they said the first thing they do when they try to diagnose something like that is to get it pressure washed. Then they can check to see where exactly the fuel/oil is leaking from. Most likely it is an o-ring that has failed somewhere. I think my quote was around $500 worst case scenario (if it were an o-ring) and that included the pressure wash.

gtbensley

Explorer
Positive its oil. I recently had a pretty good fuel leak that was coming from the fuel pump internally. Replaced the fuel pump, all the lines and gaskets and fuel leak is gone. The oil leak started directly after the fuel pump was replaced so I would guess an o ring went bad or was pinched when the turbo was pulled. I would just like to confirm where the leak is before I tear into it. I can see its wet under the turbo but no puddles of oil there. Only a large amount (well semi large) coming down the bell housing. I can still drive it and do, it just marks its area when I park it.

r_w

Adventurer
Well, that is one thing that is easier on a van than a truck. My son has the same problem but much bigger puddle on his F 350 and it is impossible to see to diagnose. You can do it from the driver's seat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior