TC Teardrops

libarata

Expedition Leader
One thing that really stands out to me is this sentence on the main page:

"No warranty is implied or otherwise indicated."

Does not mean they will not work with you. Warranties are there to hope the purchased product does not fall apart too soon. A good company does not NEED a warranty, so long as what they are selling, is used correctly. Drive down a road after purchase, and the thing explodes, I am sure they will work with you. Try and take this thing mudding or sailing, and calling up to complain about damage probably wont get you far. Ask about what they cover.

Aspire

Observer
Around my parts, there's a legal warranty if you sell something as a company. Those warranties does not cover abuse. To flat out state that no warranty follows the products have all my alarm bells ringing. But then again, I'd rather build my own.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Around my parts, there's a legal warranty if you sell something as a company. Those warranties does not cover abuse. To flat out state that no warranty follows the products have all my alarm bells ringing. But then again, I'd rather build my own.

I am sure there is some communistic BS law in the states for mandatory warranties as well. I prefer to be a well versed consumer cognizant of my purchases, over relying on someone's warranty, or the government padding stuff up for me.

I find it hilarious, that someone posts a product that could be of interest to some folks, and there is ALWAYS the group that says "I could build better", or "Looks like crap, who would buy that". Not a single damn person on here has owned, or seen one of these campers. I have E-Mailed them before about the interior being bare. They responded within an hour or so. They also mentioned that they build CUSTOM. So if you want a battery, ask em to put a battery in. If you want a 30,000 axel, ask em to hack up a semi. Better yet, all of you trailer builders, build your own that is superior, and go outside.

I asked if anyone else had heard of them, not if you could arbitrarily claim you build better than they do. Try to be constructive, not *******s.

Aspire

Observer
I never said the actual product was crap. I said that the person selling these have my alarm bells ringing because he is explicitly stating that if it breaks, for whatever reason, including shoddy work, that you are on your own.

I am not saying I could build something "better", I am saying I'd rather build one myself, because then I can make it exactly as I want it, and change my opinion and change stuff midway if I feel like it.

Consumer protection is not some "communist BS". It protects the consumer from the corporate, and that means that you, as a "cognizant consumer" have redress should a company decide to screw you over.

fireball

Explorer
It looks like a great trailer. It is way cheaper than any other tear drop out there, so every other manufacturer is ripping customers off. Not only that, they are all foolishly offering 1 year or better warranty on their products, these come out of the factory perfect so need for any type of warranty!

Is that better? :confused: :rolleyes:

SandCuda

I have a 4X8 TC Teardrop! Just returned from a 6 week, 9,250 mile trip from NJ. My jeep and trailer drove the Alpine Loop, White Rim Trail, Calico Mt's in California, Tuweep/Toroweap at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and the Pacific Coast Highway. Jeep (2014) trouble yes, Trailer trouble no. Sorry, one minor trailer problem that can be fixed.....Dust leakage inside the trailer.
The owners of TC Teardrops are fantastic people to work with. My trailer was designed for off road travel with frig, 10 gal. of Jeep fuel, and a battery bank that provides power for lights, frig, and fan for 3-4 days without recharge. YES.... Its a plane and simple teardrop. If I wanted to use or look at fancy wood cabinets and fancy bedding and TV I would stay home!

libarata

Expedition Leader
I have a 4X8 TC Teardrop! Just returned from a 6 week, 9,250 mile trip from NJ. My jeep and trailer drove the Alpine Loop, White Rim Trail, Calico Mt's in California, Tuweep/Toroweap at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and the Pacific Coast Highway. Jeep (2014) trouble yes, Trailer trouble no. Sorry, one minor trailer problem that can be fixed.....Dust leakage inside the trailer.
The owners of TC Teardrops are fantastic people to work with. My trailer was designed for off road travel with frig, 10 gal. of Jeep fuel, and a battery bank that provides power for lights, frig, and fan for 3-4 days without recharge. YES.... Its a plane and simple teardrop. If I wanted to use or look at fancy wood cabinets and fancy bedding and TV I would stay home!

Can you comment on the construction technique, and if the builders ever were hesitant about including something you wanted? Glad the little thing held up on such a long journey! Do you have any photos?

Septu

Explorer
How much is a new one with the packages? Used prices vs new prices are not exactly fair comparisons in this case.

Mine is an 09. New, with the battery and whatnot... somewhere around 10 to 12k. I agree that used/new isn't always a great comparable in a sense of what you can get for x dollars... but used doesn't have to mean beat to ****. I've scored a pair of great trailers... both were in good (or better) condition. In both cases I paid prices that I felt were very fair (well too good to pass on for the TD).

But value wise... you'll almost always come out ahead buying something used. If it's something you plan on keeping forever... then sure buy it new... but most likely you'll buy it... make some changes... and enjoy using it. Then figure out what you do/don't like, and get another one... meanwhile selling the first one - for less than you paid for it. So if that's going to be the case then why not just keep your eyes open for a used one, and save some coin?

I'm not opposed to buying something new... and likely well buy new when I eventually purchase a new TD... as now after having one, I have a much better idea as to what I think I want/need.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Seems the trailer is made by a small builder. I wouldn't doubt it's a garage or barn operation, doubt there is leased factory space and many are out there are building trailers as a sideline. Might have built a few demos and then builds on order, thus the deposit. Wouldn't doubt if the guy doesn't carry product liability insurance, probably doesn't have a sales team on commission, or dealers. I'm just guessing but from what was said on the site I'd bet I'm close.
That means the small guy can produce a quality unit based on his own skills, materials could be identical to known manufactures or similar, but not saying they are. It would be very reasonable for an individual to match the quality in many respects at half the cost or less than the name brand units.

Material discounts aren't really significant from buying at a one unit level or 15 units, not until you get to a truck load of steel oe buying 100+ axels are you going to get a significant discount that is an efficient ordering quality.

The guy started a company like most small businesses for accounting, tax an liability concerns. His attorney probably advised of the no warranty issue. However, the law in many states offers reasonable warranty of fitness of any product regardless of the signs on the wall. If you never ask for work or design to be covered they don't have to mess with you. The parts also have warranties of fitness and design, if steel is not graded properly having the correct carbon content, that's another legal issue.

Warranties these days are pretty meaningless, especially if the dealer says it was never intended to drop off a 4' ledge of rock and be dragged at 50 mph over rough terrain, can you define what reasonable is without spending 10 times the cost of the trailer to bring such arguments to court? Try collecting. That's why manufactures have product liability and sinking funds for warrant claims.
A warranty or guarantee is only as good as the entity giving it.

I have had things built without the mention of any warranty or guarantee and if something happened within a reasonable time period, I was usually satisfied as reputable people stand behind their work, especially if you're in a position to effect business with your circle of friends or the public. Small operators are more sensitive to this matter than a large company.

So, making assumptions concerning the quality of materials or craftsmanship without seeing it in person is blowing smoke, so is speaking of the financial viability of production at some price point without knowing the small manufacture's costs of materials, labor and assigned overhead.

From a picture all we can truly comment on is the appearance and features given along with the price given, from there, we'd need to inspect the unit. There are also lemons off every production line, not to mention lemon laws. At a lower price I wouldn't be expecting a 5 year, 100,000 warranty. I'd expect a useable camper. :)

Aspire

Observer
If your product is good enough, why dismiss any and all potential warranty claims (including manufacturer's defects)?

And why talk about consumer protection as if it is evil? What's the problem fixing something that might not be fit-for-purpose?

His disclaimer that there is no warranty whatsoever on what he is selling and you defending such things while attacking warranties and consumer protection in general opens up a pandora's box of corporations that will abuse unknowing/ill-informed consumers. But hey, when our brand new car breaks down, if the tyres/wheels/brakes/whatever directly causes crashes, fires, bodily harm or even death, it is wrong to hold the manufacturer responsible, and wrong to demand a recall to have the problems fixed in those things too.

Seriously, I told myself I would just ignore it, and I have a feeling I should have followed through on that.

luk4mud

Explorer
One thing that really stands out to me is this sentence on the main page:

"No warranty is implied or otherwise indicated."

I have bar licenses in multiple states and regularly review complex contracts. "Implied warranty" is a legal term of art, and means that the only warranties being provided are those expressly stated. So, the lawyer in me likes the disclaimer, front and center, on the website. But I can also understand the concern that might be seen by a consumer that such a prominent disclosure creates.

Best post in this thread is from the guy that owns one. All of our speculation based upon the website ain't worth much next to a guy who owns one and has put significant miles on it without any material issues.

Sleam

Explorer
So no one here has actually used, inspected or seen one? There is one voice of experience though, and his TC did a huge great trip. I'm looking at them too, good basic package, good clearance with 15" tires, and I can do the rest...hmm...I like!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles