TC Teardrops

stomperxj

Explorer
Prices are good but they sure are bland looking. The back half is pretty ugly in fact. Out of proportion.

luk4mud

Explorer
Having just finished being the general contractor on my own build, I dont see how you can build a quality offroad trailer for that price. Just a few items that caught my eye:
1500# torsion axle
Vinyl cabinet doors
No battery included

So there is a good price point here but I suspect the OTD price for one equipped well is much higher.

How it is put together, what materials are used etc are questions I would have at the get go. Might be just fine for the occasional trip down the fire road and mostly campouts at the state park though.

fireball

Explorer
"Vinyl cabinet doors with velcro closure"

Sorry I just threw up a little on my keyboard!

If price is a big concern, can you build it yourself? Tons of great info available on building yourself. Check out tnttt.com and also tearjerkers.net

TwinStick

Explorer
On their site: one page says one price, then when you click on that size (5x10) it says 3x the first price . Sups with that ?

libarata

Expedition Leader
If cabinet doors are such a game stopper for you, have you never purchased an item, and upgraded it over time? I am also certain that it would be easy enough to ask for some customization sprinkled in throughout the build. As for offroading, you could also probably ask if you could upgrade. No battery? You will be charged for a battery anyways, go buy one that you like. Bland looking? You do get to choose your own interior colors, plus, who wants to be flashy?

These folks are offering a bare boned sleeping unit that has a wee kitchen unit, for what I am seeing as a reasonable price.

I am sure I could build one myself, but how boring would it be for you folks to bash a free blueprint?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Libarata, looks fine to me for what it is. I'd bet that if the owner/builder were active on this site and folks got to know them and the philosophy of their product it would get better reviews, just considering the commercialization interplay in the forums. I would opt for a straight roof to the rear without any drop, but that would be uglier and not in the style of the 30s campers. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Obviously it can meet the needs of a few and it looks sufficient, it doesn't look cheap in the pics to me.

fireball

Explorer
@libarata - sorry to have ruffled your feathers! Considering the price point and some of the construction details listed on their page I would be very surprised if it was a solid, well built unit. The description and few photos on the site reminded me of some lower end travel trailers. Ask anyone who has ever owned one about the shoddy construction and build quality and how they fall apart rather quickly.

Considering that you posted on here one might assume that you are using this for off road or at least dirt/gravel/etc type travel. Again I can't imagine that something at this price point would be well built enough to stand up to those demands.

That was just my opinion after briefly checking out their website and photos. I have no direct knowledge and had never heard of them before your posting, and I've been pretty heavily researching and shopping for teardrops in the last few months. Not sure if that is a good or a bad thing.

I just now scanned through some of their photos on facebook and will retract my statement about the cabinets. It is just a wooden shelf/face frame that has a vinyl cover you can velcro in space to hide the contents.

Anyway, best of luck!

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
Looks pretty good to me, although I am no expert. With the type of off roading I do, I think it would serve my needs just fine.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
One thing that really stands out to me is this sentence on the main page:

"No warranty is implied or otherwise indicated."

Septu

Explorer
have you never purchased an item, and upgraded it over time?

When I looked at the price, it showed ~5500. That's more than what I paid for my used Little Guy TD with the RR package (and some additions). Around the same time mine was FS on here, I saw another one in the central US for 6500 that had a bunch of extra goodies that I would have jumped all over had it not been 3000 miles away (vs the 700 of the one I did buy). There's also lots of used ones for a lot cheaper than that, that one could get then modify. I'll be selling mine, but if I was keeping it, I would be making several changes to the things I do not like.

As long as you're content with the design (I personally do not like it), then go for it, and upgrade what you don't like.

libarata

Expedition Leader
When I looked at the price, it showed ~5500. That's more than what I paid for my used Little Guy TD with the RR package (and some additions). Around the same time mine was FS on here, I saw another one in the central US for 6500 that had a bunch of extra goodies that I would have jumped all over had it not been 3000 miles away (vs the 700 of the one I did buy). There's also lots of used ones for a lot cheaper than that, that one could get then modify. I'll be selling mine, but if I was keeping it, I would be making several changes to the things I do not like.

As long as you're content with the design (I personally do not like it), then go for it, and upgrade what you don't like.

How much is a new one with the packages? Used prices vs new prices are not exactly fair comparisons in this case.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I think you would be better off building your own and getting what you need.

If I had the tools and know how. When building your own, it will roughly cost the same when it comes to experience, and tools being purchased over just constructing my own, and hoping that it wont kill me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier