America's Best 4x4

libarata

Expedition Leader
So, in a list of vehicles, he will have different versions of the same one... Should they not be different platforms?

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Seems like a well thought out comparison to me.

I like they included interior storage space, load capacity and range - 3 extremely important qualities for an overland vehicle.

I love the Wrangler, but I would never argue it's "The best".
It's better at some things, worse at some things, and everyone needs to weigh up their needs against that list of pros and cons.

-Dan

teotwaki

Excelsior!
it is always distracting to have a "professional" web site present any article at all that has incorrect word use, spelling and grammar. :Wow1:

you're not your
vehicles' not vehicles
heavily laden vehicle not heaven laden vehicle
rich man's game not rich mans game
Jeep has sacrificed not Jeep have sacrificed
you won't lose not you wont loose

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Some of his scoring is way off.

Trailhawk gets a 1 on range (900km), but my JKUR gets a 3(500km)? That makes lots of sense...

Payload for the Frontier and LR4 are virtually the same. LR4 gets a 5, Frontier gets a 3. Payload for the Grand Cherokee is roughly 400LBs less than the Frontier, yet they scored equally.

According to his scoring system, durability measures likelihood of rattles, as well as likelihood of the vehicle falling apart after hard use. Two different things right there.

No points for ride comfort in an overland vehicle is a mistake in my opinion, and so is a lack of category for after market support.

No full size rigs, basically because he doesn't like them.

Way too subjective.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Some of his scoring is way off.

Trailhawk gets a 1 on range (900km), but my JKUR gets a 3(500km)? That makes lots of sense...

Payload for the Frontier and LR4 are virtually the same. LR4 gets a 5, Frontier gets a 3. Payload for the Grand Cherokee is roughly 400LBs less than the Frontier, yet they scored equally.

According to his scoring system, durability measures likelihood of rattles, as well as likelihood of the vehicle falling apart after hard use. Two different things right there.

No points for ride comfort in an overland vehicle is a mistake in my opinion, and so is a lack of category for after market support.

No full size rigs, basically because he doesn't like them.

Way too subjective.

His payload also factors in the space to stuff things in. I never has an issue with anything in the rear of my Frontier. I highly doubt this joker actually drove any of these vehicles. He is just pulling specs off of the interwebz and somehow coming up with four digit scores.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
His payload also factors in the space to stuff things in. I never has an issue with anything in the rear of my Frontier. I highly doubt this joker actually drove any of these vehicles. He is just pulling specs off of the interwebz and somehow coming up with four digit scores.
He might have driven them a bit but I doubt he overlanded or lived out of them for a couple of weeks at a time. That's how you get to know what your rig can/can't do.

This is what I have now. Pretty easy to live out of for a 2 week boondoggle.
Drop the trailer and wheel where you want.
040_zpsc0eb3645.jpg

The Jeep replaced a Power Wagon though. Life with the Power Wagon and trailer was easier.... ....but once the trailer was dropped, there were too many places the PW couldn't fit.
But I could bring EVERYTHING with me. Infinite storage capacity.
DSCN4742_zps127d2894.jpg

Before that I had a 2-door JK and a Conqueror. This was my most capable duo for overcamping.
CountryFriedWeekend2011098.jpg

But we went on two week trips on this thing with no problems too.
Christmas_Ride_25aa.jpg

And two weeks 2-up on this thing took some planning and clever packing but we did it often.
e-ConnieinWY.jpg

So, comfort, range, packing space, blah blah blah. It really boils down to what you like. Cause almost anything can get the job done if you're clever about it.
Just go out and do it. Travel. Explore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne