Opinions - High Mileage V10; E350

michel77

Adventurer
Hey All,

I've been looking at vans for some time for an extended trip sometime next year heading down to Baja/Mexico (maybe further South if we're liking it) and back up to Seattle following the Continental Divide. We will be camping off the grid for the most part or on basic campgrounds with minimal amenities and like to include as many fire/forest service roads as we can find but expect no real offroading. Our budget for a van will be roughly $10k and we are looking at 2WD vans/vanagons that I will likely install a mild lift on and possible a limited slip differential or rear locker (figure the cost for those upgrades to be about $4k).

I came across this E350 which is local and it looks like a good starting point. I like the interior set-up, some small changes for a nice utilitarian set-up which suits us fine, the big roof rack and lights are welcome additions so I figure with the added cost of lift/tires and possible the diff or locker, it would be a good set-up for what we're after. Price seems reasonable, figure I can probably get it sub-$4k.
The only 2 drawbacks are obviously the mileage and I'm not sure if I like the extended body as it becomes more difficult to maneuver and park, etc.
On the mileage part, from what I gather these engines can easily go 400k+ if well maintained but I am hesitant nonetheless and appreciate input from the (Ford) van-experts here. Regular maintenance and oil/filter changes have been done, transmission rebuild at 168k. I am assuming with these miles, the dreaded spark plug issue has not been a problem or has been fixed. I should mention I am a reasonable mechanic and can do most all maintenance myself so am mainly worried about bigger failures like engine internals.
On the extended body, I am only going by assumption here and again welcome real-life pros/cons of extended versus regular body.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4634296859.html

Lastly, like I mentioned, I am also looking at the VW Vanagons. Pros for me there would be smaller footprint thus easier to maneuver around, better fuel mileage and potentially more headroom in case of the pop-tops although not too worried since we'll only be sleeping in the van and not really cooking or otherwise standing up that much. Cons are higher initial purchase price for decent condition vanagons, parts availability in more remote areas, space (2 adults plus big dog), and possible maintenance quirks. I know there's a few guys here that have switched back and forth between Vanagons and domestic full size vans and welcome any thoughts on the subject.

Appreciate the feedback and knowledge of the van collective,cheers!

gtbensley

Explorer
I may have missed it but how many miles are on the v10 e350? I think you covered most points pretty good. Regular maintenance goes a very long way for keeping a vehicle on the road. If you have the time, have an oil analysis done. This will give a pretty good insight into the health of the engine. If you can also do a compression test this may help you determine the longevity of the van. I know these vans are pretty robust, yes they do have spark plug issues but most likely they have been dealt with. I have seen a few of the v10 needs exhaust manifolds.....pretty big job. No nearly as common though as the 5.4 though.

CN: Compression test and oil analysis will tell you the health of the engine.

mikracer

Adventurer
Axle code suggests its a 4.10 limited slip rear end. As far as buying a high mileage V10, it all depends on the maintenance history of the van. I have a 2005 Chateau E350 with 110k miles on it now. Its just half of what the van you're interested in, but mine runs great. Although the extended body is long, the wheel base of the extended body is the same as a regular body. Parking and such will be the same as far as turning in, it'll just be longer out back. I gotta tell you though, these V10's are thirsty. I average 13-13.5 on the freeway with the cruise set at 65mph. Thats with an empty passenger van.

350outrage

Adventurer
'02 E-350 here, only 73,000 miles, but I've never turned a wrench on it. Plenty of power, but +1 on mikracer's comment re gas mileage; 13-13.5 at 70-75. 373 gears and 32" tires.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
One thing people tend to lose sight of with this type of question is it isnt just the engine with 270k on it. Everything in the van has that mileage on it, from the engine to the power button on the radio. For me, I'd probably pass on a vehicle like that, unless it was something I was prepared to spend the cash on to rebuild top to bottom.

dvsjw

Observer
E40D Transmissions have cost me thousands of dollars and ruined travel plans. The V10 will work like a chap until it is broken and then it will be very expensive to repair. The exhaust manifold bolts have a history of shearing off and will cost 2k to fix as the headers will warp and require replacement.

86scotty

Cynic
One thing people tend to lose sight of with this type of question is it isnt just the engine with 270k on it. Everything in the van has that mileage on it, from the engine to the power button on the radio. For me, I'd probably pass on a vehicle like that, unless it was something I was prepared to spend the cash on to rebuild top to bottom.

Though I can see your point on most vehicles, I have to give exception to this kind of mileage on a Ford van. I drove them for years at work in every day, stop and go, hammer down delivery abuse. It's one of the most robust chassis ever made, and without a doubt why they can take so much abuse as off road vehicles. I wouldn't seek out one with 400k+, but honestly 200k+ wouldn't bother me, especially since the tranny was done already. Sure there will be some things with wear and tear, but mostly interior parts that can be replaced. In fact, there's still no better vehicle IMO if anything needs replacing since they're everywhere. I have driven many with 500k that still drove well. The biggest problem with them was the slider doors wearing out and breaking due to being opened and slammed about 100 times per day. I would say go for it for that price OP!

michel77

Adventurer
Some great responses, much appreciated thus far!

CN: Compression test and oil analysis will tell you the health of the engine.

Good tip, not sure if I can fit that in but may be worthwhile indeed.

Axle code suggests its a 4.10 limited slip rear end.
I gotta tell you though, these V10's are thirsty. I average 13-13.5 on the freeway with the cruise set at 65mph. Thats with an empty passenger van.

That's a great observation! Didn't even know these came with limited slip diffs.. Not too concerned about fuel mileage, it's no better or worse than our previous Land Cruiser or most other types of "adventure" rigs out there.

Though I can see your point on most vehicles, I have to give exception to this kind of mileage on a Ford van. I drove them for years at work in every day, stop and go, hammer down delivery abuse. It's one of the most robust chassis ever made, and without a doubt why they can take so much abuse as off road vehicles. I wouldn't seek out one with 400k+, but honestly 200k+ wouldn't bother me, especially since the tranny was done already. Sure there will be some things with wear and tear, but mostly interior parts that can be replaced. In fact, there's still no better vehicle IMO if anything needs replacing since they're everywhere. I have driven many with 500k that still drove well. The biggest problem with them was the slider doors wearing out and breaking due to being opened and slammed about 100 times per day. I would say go for it for that price OP!

That is also what I figured, frame and body are pretty sturdy so not too worried about that part. I'll let you guys know what's up once we go check it out!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Frame body longevity has more to with where the van lives than how it was maintained. Things I'd been concerned about are the wearable hard parts. Axle seals & bearings. Limited slips don't last forever. Steering box, pump. A/C components, blower motor, heater core, etc. Even your wiring harnesses and plugs show the wear and tear of that much mileage. COPS are not dirt cheap and fail at most inconvenient time. These are all things with that 270k on them that are not all that easy to check. When a vehicle gets that much wear on it it's those little things that can nickel and dime you to death.

Manifold studs for me have only ever been an issue on the passenger side. Go figure. Never had the manifolds themselves be a issue. Not all that expensive to fix if you DIY, but can be a annoying experience. Same with the plugs. DIY, not bad, go to the dealer and get hosed.

Been there and done that on all these issues across multiple V10s and 5.4s, but like I mentioned, that mileage adds up on everything, not just the tranny and motor internals.

86scotty

Cynic
I agree completely. Our stuff is fleet maintained so those kinds of things get replaced on schedule, which I wasn't really thinking about. I also agree that it's very important where the van has lived. I'm spoiled here in the Southeast where nothing rusts except Jeeps, and our climate is pretty mild on vehicles in general.

michel77

Adventurer
Frame body longevity has more to with where the van lives than how it was maintained. Things I'd been concerned about are the wearable hard parts. Axle seals & bearings. Limited slips don't last forever. Steering box, pump. A/C components, blower motor, heater core, etc. Even your wiring harnesses and plugs show the wear and tear of that much mileage. COPS are not dirt cheap and fail at most inconvenient time. These are all things with that 270k on them that are not all that easy to check. When a vehicle gets that much wear on it it's those little things that can nickel and dime you to death.

Manifold studs for me have only ever been an issue on the passenger side. Go figure. Never had the manifolds themselves be a issue. Not all that expensive to fix if you DIY, but can be a annoying experience. Same with the plugs. DIY, not bad, go to the dealer and get hosed.

Been there and done that on all these issues across multiple V10s and 5.4s, but like I mentioned, that mileage adds up on everything, not just the tranny and motor internals.

I agree completely. Our stuff is fleet maintained so those kinds of things get replaced on schedule, which I wasn't really thinking about. I also agree that it's very important where the van has lived. I'm spoiled here in the Southeast where nothing rusts except Jeeps, and our climate is pretty mild on vehicles in general.

Good points for sure and definitely something to consider. I went to check it out last night, I was quite happy with how it looked. No rust anywhere on the frame or body, little clear coat peeling, engine looked clean and well maintained. Seems to have been a West Coast vehicle for the most part. Started fine (with a slight surging at idle when cold, not sure if that's normal?), drove fine, not bad at all. Needs tires, probably a tune-up, A/C didn't seem to work either but not a showstopper for me so definitely am considering it.

Comes with a ton of camping gear which is not really needed but nice to have as a start. Nifty gravity shower on the roof rack too which is cool.

This will be our daily driver for a few months too before we head out on our trip so that is the biggest consideration and hesitation at this stage.
Will probably talk about price over the weekend and see where we end up.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Using as a daily driver ahead of your trip is a good idea no matter what you buy. Consider it your shake-down cruise ahead of The Big Trip. If something is waiting to go wrong its better to have it happen close to home, lordy do I know that.

Clean frame/body with peeling clear coat sounds like a possible south western vehicle. The best!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Forgot to mention. The funkiness at idle stands a good chance of being the IAC (idle air controller). On the modulars they ahve a habit of gunking up after awhile and do strange things to idle. I've had anything from a loping idle to an elevated idle that manifested as a vehicle that suddenly seemed difficult to stop. Not surprising when you idle wont drop below 1200-1500 rpm.

Sometimes you can get away with a thorough cleaning, but it usually doesnt last. Not terribly expensive or difficult to replace DIY.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke