Can I Put Tacoma Wheels On This Trailer?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I am looking at getting this trailer, Northern Tool Ironton and I was wondering if it would be easy to put a set of Tacoma wheels on it?

Do I just need a wheel adaptor, if so would it need to be custom or is there one available off the shelf? Or is the hub/bearings not going to handle the weight of the larger tire and wheel.

Any advice would be great!

dmc1

Adventurer
It can be done with adapters but you may have some challenges with the axle. The axle may not be heavy enough to do what you are wanting to do. The hubs would be the easiest if the bearings are the same. I question that though. Look at adaptitusa.com and see if they have an adapter for the hubs that come on the trailer so you can adapt the wheels you want to use. You will have to take into account adapter thickness so your wheels do not stick out from the fender too much.

I have used them with success and I currently have them on my expo trailer so I can use my Rubi wheels.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Last edited:

dmc1

Adventurer
I just looked at the trailer and if it is five lug I would think that it is a five on four and half bolt pattern so you would need an adapter for 5 on 4.5 to the 6 lug pattern.

Wildcat

Adventurer
in addition to new hubs or adapters, your gonna need to modify the fenders quite a bit. you may even need the adapters to be pretty thick depending on the backspacing of the tacoma wheels.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Thanks for the info dmc1.

Good point Wildcat on the backspacing, that could be a big issue. Not to worried about replacing the fenders but getting frame clearance could be an issue.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Don't know hub size on the trailer but I just finished putting stock 17" Taco '12 rims on my 416 and used an adapter

Louisd75

Adventurer
I am looking at getting this trailer, Northern Tool Ironton and I was wondering if it would be easy to put a set of Tacoma wheels on it?

Do I just need a wheel adaptor, if so would it need to be custom or is there one available off the shelf? Or is the hub/bearings not going to handle the weight of the larger tire and wheel.

Any advice would be great!

For what it's worth, you'll probably need an adapter of some sort. I'm trying to put 2nd gen alloy 6 on 5.5 wheels on a 6 on 5.5 set of Dexter hubs. There are two problems that I've run into that you may also run into. The alloy wheels are hub-centric, not lug centric. It's probably not a big deal. Or it's a huge deal. It all depends on what corner of the internet you're looking around in. The real hassle has been finding a set of shouldered lug nuts that work. The lug nuts that fit the holes in the wheel just right are metric, the studs on the hub aren't. The right sized metric studs are too small in diameter to replace the 1/2" studs the come on the hub. After spending two days at every car parts place in town test fitting lug nuts to no avail, I decided to wing it. I ordered a set of these guys: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002809XG2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 And they fit as snug, if not slightly tighter, than the stock Toyota lug nuts. The only problem is that they are considerably longer than the Toyota lug nuts and they bottom out against the hub long before they start to tighten the wheel. I either need to cut them down or get a spacer made. If I get a spacer, I'll get one with a hub centric lip. I've still got plenty of time before I'm at the stage that I need to have the problem solved.

highwest

I had to use 2.25” spacers to get Tacoma wheels to fit on my trailer. Normal trailer backspacing and truck backspacing are way different. As a plus, the adapter allowed me to keep the center caps on the Tacoma wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94