Why can't we have New Montero here?

Dolomiti

Adventurer
protectionism...corporations use NHTSA to create unfair advantages and make it cost prohibitive for certain models to be imported.

there's a system of government where corporate entities collude with and use government agencies to create unfair advantages. I can't remember it's name but it starts with F and ends with ascism.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
protectionism...corporations use NHTSA to create unfair advantages and make it cost prohibitive for certain models to be imported.

there's a system of government where corporate entities collude with and use government agencies to create unfair advantages. I can't remember it's name but it starts with F and ends with ascism.

Less to do with that than with Mitsubishi USA teetering on the brink of bankruptcy.

montypower

Adventure Time!
There are several reports of the Montero coming to the US in 2016. My local dealer was also talking with me about that. However, it will be their redesign which will likely not resemble the current version. Mitsubishi USA has poor offerings and poorer marketing. It's no wonder they are suffering.

JamesW

Adventurer
My guess is that there are already too many similar 4x4s available there for it to be worth their while getting it to meet all the safety requirements to sell it in the States. Over here they're very popular because the only other competition is the 120 or 125 LC the Disco 4 and then the likes of a HIlux ,L200 or navara if you're after something a bit more utilitarian.

If I had to buy a new 4x4 in the morning it would probably be a Pajero,the newer ones are gorgeous to drive compared to the gen 2,but I doubt they are quite as rugged

Dolomiti

Adventurer
Less to do with that than with Mitsubishi USA teetering on the brink of bankruptcy.

Actually, If it wasn't for the aforementioned system, we'd be able to gray market import Pajeros, exclusive of Mitsu USA's awful business choices, meaning they'd be available.

Dolomiti

Adventurer
"Why can't we have New Montero here?" Communism and safety sally's.

It's not really communism either. The regime which allowed 3 of my 1980s gray market cars to be imported in 1985 (M535i, M635CSi, and 745i) came crashing down because MB USA, LR USA, BMW USA decided to lobby congress which resulted in the implementation of the 25 year rule (using NHTSA and EPA). This is because it was less expensive to import a euro spec (faster/smaller bumpered) 745i than buy a NA standard 735i. The 745i had about 50 more HP and better gas mileage.

It's corporations (like Mitsu USA) who want to use fed regulations to prevent direct competition with their parent company. "For the safety of the children," is just the excuse.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...

MMNA has a rich dad, I don't think it's a financial issue. They are currently wanting to get back into the SUV game, I hope they do but rather the new Sport than the new Montero. I'm a Montero guy to the core and having owned a Sport i can say i'm not really into them BUT i think the new Sport has the potential of being a serious offroad machine.

On a side note I think MMNA might make their own 4x4 based off of the Pajero, not a Pajero but based on the more modular second generation chassis.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
It's not really communism either. The regime which allowed 3 of my 1980s gray market cars to be imported in 1985 (M535i, M635CSi, and 745i) came crashing down because MB USA, LR USA, BMW USA decided to lobby congress which resulted in the implementation of the 25 year rule (using NHTSA and EPA). This is because it was less expensive to import a euro spec (faster/smaller bumpered) 745i than buy a NA standard 735i. The 745i had about 50 more HP and better gas mileage.

It's corporations (like Mitsu USA) who want to use fed regulations to prevent direct competition with their parent company. "For the safety of the children," is just the excuse.

On point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior