Homebrew RTT Build Completed

surfwagoneer

Awesome build and came out great. Curious to what fabric you used for both the tent and your cover. I'm looking to build my own awning at some point and both the materials you used looked very nice

96Delica

Adventurer
Really nice work! Like was posted above, there has got to be a market for a tent like this, still being able to haul gear on top is awesome!

coax

Adventurer
Awesome build and came out great. Curious to what fabric you used for both the tent and your cover. I'm looking to build my own awning at some point and both the materials you used looked very nice

Thanks! For the tent I used a fabric called Weathermax 80. It is definitely thinner/less weight than the canvas used on the howling moon. So one main difference is you can get some light inside where the HM tent was pitch black all the time. Time will tell if this is a good material for a tent in terms of water proof/breathable and abrasion resistance. I believe it is meant as an awning fabric and I did build a small awning out of the extra material I had. I suspect it will work out great for that. Also comes in lots of colors so you can color-match to your vehicle :)

The cover is regular 18oz vinyl. Given more time/money I'd have used something different but it should work for this trip.

I've got a few smalls scraps left over, if you want me to send you one, lmk.

Corey

Screen Shot 2014-08-31 at 3.18.54 PM.jpg

Last edited:

coax

Adventurer
Really nice work! Like was posted above, there has got to be a market for a tent like this, still being able to haul gear on top is awesome!

Yep I agree! I suspect the market segment here in the states is different than other places where RTT's are more common. Lots of kayaks/bikes/skis/etc around here and hard to take those on the roof with a standard 4x4 or 4x5 rtt. Autohome Overcamp is the only one I've seen that size, but the colors alone steered me away from it. The pricepoint is also fairly high as well ($1700+ the ride).

01.jpg

http://www.autohome-official.com/en/products/fabric-roof-top-tent/overcamp/overcamp-roof-tent
http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/overcamp.php

surfwagoneer

Coax,
Thanks for the information! No need to send the scraps, but thanks a ton for the offer. Looks like this stuff is listed under the marine and boat cover so I'm sure it will be plenty weather proof. The only fall back is its only comes 60" wide, not a deal breaker though. Thanks again

rocrunr

Adventurer
Thought about building one of these for a while now but unlike you my sewing skills suck! Good job, it looks good and tough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles