98 Tacoma X-Cab modification ?

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
So with things finally turning around and the truck down at the moment till an engine rebuild, I had a quick question.

(Truck Pic for visual reference)

The only thing I really dislike about my truck at the moment is ability to reach storage containers in the back and climbing over the seats to get to stuff I have trouble reaching. I was talking with a friend the other day and mentioned this idea to him and said it might be doable, with a lot of fab work. My question is basically does anyone know of anyone or seen anyone that has cut out lockable hatches on the outside of the X-Cab section using the original skin as a door? Using the original skin on the outside to lock and unlock then fold down and allow access to gear inside on a track system that you typically see in the bed or back on a Land Cruiser. I will draw a sketch of what I'm talking about tomorrow morning and post it, but was getting really curious about it as I would like to keep my bed space. I realize this may sound silly, stupid, and down right retarded to attempt, as in if I screw up, I'm out a cab. However I have a true deep attachment to this truck that I can never bring myself to get rid of it, thus my reason for trying to make it more accessible for my self and girlfriend.

If you happen to know of someone that has a write-up about this or knows who has attempted something like this could you please point me in the right direction. I honestly don't know what to search to find help on this, or maybe nobody has done this yet. Mehh, any help is appreciated, Thanks guys and gals, Hudsen

mtnkid85

Adventurer
It think it would be doable if you were a very handy body man.
Id sat you would end up needing another donor cab to cut sheet metal from to facilitate a clean opening and door skin also.

It would be cool to pull off though.

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
Wouldnt mind doing that to the unused space between the bed and the bed sides of my 2010 Tacoma. I think Nissan Titans have a lockable storage compartment on theirs. Would be a handy place to lock up recovery gear or other various items that are floating around the cab of my truck.

tacoma_AL

Adventurer

So hopefully this gives a little more insight to what I'm wanting to do. I've thought about it and have been having trouble thinking of ways to make it water tight or seal tight enough so the elements don't get in. It would have a keyed locking latch on both sides. Another thing is making it stock looking; If I didn't care about that, honestly it would probably already be done. I'm open to ideas or if anyone has a better way of going about this or a better idea for storage. Like I said the only reason I want to attempt this route is to keep my bed space as I'm usually towing our bikes in the bed and a typical style offroad trailer with an rtt (although my 1500 has taken over the current duty till may tacoma is back up and running.)

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Well, the hatch door and the cab would both need to be reinforced to last so the water deal would happen at that time. Overlapping edges with a bulb seal like your factory door uses. This is totally doable but I think it would cost a ton of dough to do it right. I question whether or not the opening would be big enough to be of any real use. I'm picturing trying to reach through a cat or dog door and dragging out any kind of bag. Frustrating, I think. Flipping the seat forward really isn't that hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
It might be worth your time to mock up your plan on out of plywood to see if you can get a big enough door opening to be useful. I think you'll end up with a really small pass through once all the support and sealing happen.

PolarrrBearrr

Not that that isn't a cool idea, but the door will be... what? 1'x2'-ish? What does the inside structure of that panel look like? Are there any crossbeams behind that panel that if cut, would cause a structural problem with the cab?

What about removing the window and extending the opening down to the floor and creating a door with a window in that?

...or converting it to a suicide door? (Not sure if these ever came with them, but...)

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
Guess I'll just have to pull out the interior and see what is back there; Also do a mock up and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the input yall

willsbryon

Inside the area it is hollow with the exception of the stock speaker and it's box that is removable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles