How much does an 8' truck bed weight? I was surprised.

Scoutman

Explorer
Figured this may be of interest to some here. I recently took my truck bed off to replace an in tank fuel pump. While it was off was a good time to pressure wash some 'hard to reach spots' and give things a look-see. When I was getting ready to put it back on I figured I'd weight it. I know some folks here have replaced the factory bed with aftermarket tray's, utility box beds, and other contraptions so a rough base line would be nice.

Truck is an 06 Dodge Ram 3500 with an 8' bed that had been sprayed with Line-X ~1/8-3/16" thick. This is with no tail lights, toolboxes, or any extra weight other than the Line-X.

I was surprised to see it only was 187#. I was expecting more. My scale maxes out at 440# and I expected an overload error as I thought it would be in the 500# range give or take. Sorry the pictures were taken in the bright of day and it's very hazy/humid here in August.

The more you know... :elkgrin:

IMG_20140823_101641_290 (Large).jpg

IMG_20140823_110707_548 (Large).jpg

IMG_20140823_110801_851 (Large).jpg

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
It's just sheetmetal guys! Removing one of those is an easy three man lift. (could be two but its tough to balance)

Scoutman

Explorer
Wow, I completely missed that. I feel like a dumbarse now. It was so bright outside that all I saw was the numbers and then got in the mindset that it was in pounds. No wonder I was surprised.

Ok, so lets revise that. 187 kg = 412.26#.

Still gives you an idea of what one weighs.

Scoutman

Explorer
It's just sheetmetal guys! Removing one of those is an easy three man lift. (could be two but its tough to balance)

True but most times it's just me working on stuff so I've learned to work alone. I built that gantry just to pick up the heavy and awkward stuff so I didn't hurt myself. It was much easier to pick it up that way than it was to coordinate 3 other guys to come over (one per corner).

The only help I really needed was my wife to push the other side of the gantry to roll it away from and back to the truck. The dolly I had built for my truck camper to pull it into the shop for repairs.

libarata

Expedition Leader
True but most times it's just me working on stuff so I've learned to work alone. I built that gantry just to pick up the heavy and awkward stuff so I didn't hurt myself. It was much easier to pick it up that way than it was to coordinate 3 other guys to come over (one per corner).

The only help I really needed was my wife to push the other side of the gantry to roll it away from and back to the truck. The dolly I had built for my truck camper to pull it into the shop for repairs.

Work smarter, not harder.

At first, I was thinking you had a fiberglass bed! Tilted my screen up, then down, left, right, and I finally saw the little arrow. We all make mistakes... But one should never weigh anything MERKN with commie weight systems. It is bad for the catalytic converter.

drifter_r6

Observer
yep, display indicates "kg". I have a F350 long bed and my inaccurate weighing with bathroom scale, subtracting for bracing/stand came in around 390lbs.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Thanks so much for weighting that, I've looked all over the web high and low, and all I got were estimates of 400 - 600 lbs.

So with the tailgate, we're looking at 500lbs ish for an 8' bed.

Reason I ask, I thought about removing my bed (1500 Crew Cab) to tow a toy hauler. The 1/2 tons have the GCW to do it, but not payload. My 5'8" bed should be closer to 400 lbs, but that weight is concentrated BEHIND the rear axle. removing it should gain me precious rear axle capacity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94