How much does an 8' truck bed weight? I was surprised.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
That weight figure is good news to me. I am removing my pop-up camper and factory bed and putting a uhaul box on. I was hoping the new box was similar in weight to my existing set-up; this confirms it.

superbuickguy

Explorer
Wow, I completely missed that. I feel like a dumbarse now. It was so bright outside that all I saw was the numbers and then got in the mindset that it was in pounds. No wonder I was surprised.

Ok, so lets revise that. 187 kg = 412.26#.

Still gives you an idea of what one weighs.

Homer-doh_v1.png

Scoutman

Explorer
Oh yea, that was my thought when I realized my mistake and then realized there was no going back to fix it.

RoyJ, Papawheely, you're welcome. I was hoping it would help someone.

Superbuickguy, I see you're from Woodinville. Ya'll make some good small batch whiskey there.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Well it is a Dodge after all....
Lean on the bed of a 2014 F-250 like I did last week. Same thin metal and tin can doors like the rest.
My friend's 2000 Superduty just had the entire cab replaced. $3700. He lives three miles from the Pacific Ocean. His '85 F-150's body fell off. Same location.
I really liked the seats though in that new F-250.

Last edited:

Scoutman

Explorer
Agreed. They all have to shave weight where they can. My quad cab, long bed, diesel, 4x4 weighs in at just over 8000# with a full tank of fuel and just me inside (no toolbox or anything else). Thin sheetmetal is fine for the average truck owner and if it's not then chances are those folks would be looking for a utility or flat bed anyway. As long as you don't abuse it then it's just fine. Expecting a truck bed to be made of plate steel from the factory is just unrealistic.

This is however why I think it's important to run truck camper tie downs to the frame an not the thin sheetmetal beds or in bed tie downs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94