Niva goes ExPo

haven

Expedition Leader
The Niva is Russia's 4x4 for the proletariat. AvtoVAZ has been building basically the same compact hatchback since the early 1970s. Youtube is full of videos of folks doing impossible things with a Niva 4x4.

General Motors and AvtoVAZ formed a partnership in the late 1990s to build the Niva in Russia using some technology from Opel. These vehicles are sold as Chevrolet Niva, and sport the Chevy bowtie on the grille.

Now GM and AvtoVAZ have announced a new generation of the Niva, with production to begin in 2016. To introduce the new generation Niva, the partnership has developed a show car.

It's a full-on ExPo version.
Raised suspension? Check
M&S tires? Check
Rooftop rack? Check
Bumper with winch? Check
Underbody protection? Check
Tow hooks in contrasting color? Check
Rally lights? Check
Snorkel? Check
Swingout fullsize spare? Check
Brush guards for the head and taillights? Check

About the only items missing are an exo-cage and limb-risers.

The actual production model probably won't have any of the above. The basic vehicle is attractive for a small car, with the vibe of a 3/4 scale version of the Mercedes M-Class.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Looks a little naked without a wire brush guard at least. Chevy should import some as the "Tracker" or something.

haven

Expedition Leader
It's unlikely that the Niva will make it to North America. GM is going in a different direction for its stateside small AWD models.

GM has a minor hit on its hands in the form of the Buick Encore, a subcompact AWD SUV. (Don't call it a hatchback!). It's about the same size as the Mini Countryman or the Fiat 500L four door. In 2015, GM will offer a less expensive version of the Encore as the Chevy Trax.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Well, hopefully whatever GM has for its AWD is better than what was in the Rendezvous. Seriously, this Niva looks like a tracker, I would buy a tracker!

Sebas

Adventurer
If has a t-case maybe can be a really good option, and has a solid rear axle, looks nice for me.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
I love this thing. It totally reminds me of a lifted Suzuki SX4 that's around here:

http://www.subcompactculture.com/2013/05/behold-possibly-most-************-suzuki-sx4.html

Drabadum

I like that VAZ-GM keeps Niva capable for offroad.
But:
1. Though new Chevy Niva has a solid rear axle, now McPherson suspension is in front instead of double wishbones. So lift will be very limited.
2. I don't like the modern look of almost all Chevrolets and Fords. Especially I hate their high window line -> tiny windows. And now one can see it in Chevy Niva.

The most significant plus is the engine Peugeot with 130 hp or something about that. The previous one has 80 hp!
Some magazines estimate the price level about 600 000 rubles ($16 000).

Actually, Lada also promises new model 4x4 in 2016 (Lada 4x4 is well-known classic Niva, the brand name went to VAZ-GM, so Lada had to re-brand the rig). The manufacturer claims that the off-road capability is in priority. But there are no warranty that it will not be facelifted Dacia Duster.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior