Cruise Control Question

CSU126

Observer
Good day
I just purchased a 1998 Montero and the only thing not working is the cruise control. When I activate the dash switch there is an acknowledgment of power. When I try the steering wheel cruise selector arm I get a very brief green flash of the dash indicator but not cruise. I have only had the Montero a day so I have not even gotten a manual yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Scott

nckwltn

Explorer
my 99 would fall out of cruise while pulling a small camper trailer up grade in the high elevations of colorado this last summer.... the last time I was at the pick-a-parts, there were dudes looking for a montero cruise control unit.... perhaps the unit is just bad.

the FSM probably has a couple of diagnostic ideas or things to test: www.mitsubishilinks.com

libarata

Expedition Leader
Have you checked all of your fuses, and lights? The cruise control in my Frontier would kick off when I hade a burned out tail light, and a blown fuse in my third stop light.

mcskibadee1

Adventurer
Have you checked all of your fuses, and lights? The cruise control in my Frontier would kick off when I hade a burned out tail light, and a blown fuse in my third stop light.

Mine didn't work because there were LED lights in the brake lights. Like libarata said, check fuses and lights first.

CSU126

Observer
In trying to figure this out I have come to two questions. IS the third brake like suppose to be on at all times or just when the brake is pressed? Two I dont see a specific fuse for the cruise control. Am I missing something. Thank you in advance for all the help.

Scott

DaveNay

Adventurer
In trying to figure this out I have come to two questions. IS the third brake like suppose to be on at all times or just when the brake is pressed? Two I dont see a specific fuse for the cruise control. Am I missing something. Thank you in advance for all the help.

Scott
I don't know anything about Monteros specifically, but I have never seen a vehicle where the third tail light is always on.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I don't know anything about Monteros specifically, but I have never seen a vehicle where the third tail light is always on.

Damn good question... I would assume in an SUV/truck that it should not be. My Frontier, Ranger, Blazer, Forester never had a permanently powered third brake light. With cars, I usually notice a 50/50 of it being on always. If it WERE supposed to be intermittent, what could cause that issue?

CSU126

Observer
Sorry for the lag. I had to deal with a more pressing issue when my ac went out. I have not been able to target the problem yet. I have limited experience so it is taking me some time. One thing I have noticed is that with the ignition on but the engine not running. When I turn on power to the cruise I can hear the vacuum pump start pumping but never stops. I would assume that once enough pressure is built up in the system it would stop. Possible vacuum leak?

libarata

Expedition Leader
Far out of my purview there. I have a local shop that I can ask to find the issue, and they show me possible repairs, all for no charge. Do you have anyone like that near you? Vacuum issues are pretty hard to locate if I remember right.

mapper

Explorer
Could be as simple as your brake light switch on the brake pedal. Check that out. Sounds like your brake lights might be permanently on...that switch usually is what manufacturers use to cancel the cruise control when you hit brakes. Thus if the switch is bad, or simply in need of adjustment/alignment your cruise signal is being canceled as soon as you set it. This may be why you get a momentary flash on the dash suggesting cruise does, briefly, engage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz