Storage Box Efficiency

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I just updated post #1 with more boxes.

Looks like the Alu-boxes and Milk crates are the most efficient hard boxes so far.

I started thinking more seriously about this, just because I was surprised that the milk-crate was so "low" at 80-something percent. I realized part of the problem is the "wall" thickness compared to the volume of the container. If I constructed a crate similar to a milk crate, but with expanded dimensions, efficiency starts to climb up to 85% or more. Something about the size of a Rubbermaid tote with vertical 1/2" walls is ~85%.

Going bigger or decreasing the wall thickness should improve things even more. I'd already considered making (or ordering) some custom-sized wooden boxes, just to maximize the use of my existing space - mostly to eliminate the wasted gaps BETWEEN the standard-sized boxes (e.g. 2x 16" wide tubs in a 34" wide space)

I'm starting to think that something like a 1/4" or 3/8" marine plywood "tote" with fiberglass fillets in the corners and epoxied would be damned efficient. My storage area has good protection from moisture and dust when the vehicle is closed up, so I don't need airtight seals or even necessarily lids, unless I want them to double as seating.

Given how easy it is to order premade drawer carcasses online these days, I'm starting to think about using that service to make me some deep "drawers" and putting some rope handles on to make them into boxes...

peneumbra

Explorer
I really like the idea of getting some nifty titanium storage boxes made up.

What for? Why, to carry my cast-iron dutch ovens and frying pans, of course...

libarata

Expedition Leader
So, None of you have anything that can easily slide in between the "wasteful gaps"? I put lots of easy and soft items in between those gaps. A change of socks, sweater, coat, hats, snacks, water bottles. It is not wasted, unless you let it be.

Dazrin

Adventurer
So, None of you have anything that can easily slide in between the "wasteful gaps"? I put lots of easy and soft items in between those gaps. A change of socks, sweater, coat, hats, snacks, water bottles. It is not wasted, unless you let it be.

Of course everyone does this, that doesn't mean it is the best way to do it though. I prefer to have things inside the storage containers than between them.

Having stuff crammed in the nooks and crannies just makes things much harder than it has to be - can't find what you are looking for because it is in a different cranny; damage the items between two boxes when you pull one of the boxes out; can't put the box back in because the junk between them fell behind it when you opened it; have to move all the stuff from between the boxes prior to opening them and then replace it all after the fact; etc. No, the nooks and crannies aren't wasted when we do this, but they aren't exactly efficient.

We all want efficient use of space to fit stuff and efficient use of time in accessing our stuff. There will ALWAYS be compromise between these though.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Really? Mind pointing me somewhere?

If you google "custom drawer boxes", you'll come across a whole host of sites where you can order custom carcasses in a variety of woods and construction styles.

Given that I plan to use them as "totes", I've been restricting my searches to those that use thinner plywood, which also helps with cost.

http://www.drawerbuilder.com/cd_custom_combos.php - these guys have an economy option that starts at just $31.54/drawer - any size. The sides are 1/2", which is probably a bit heavier/thicker than you need for a "tote", but hard to beat that price if you need something that's a perfect size.

As discussed, the other alternative is to build your own out of 1/4" ply using stitch&glue, corner blocks, or maybe just glue & pin?

vati kaki

Observer
Made my own.
1395b91d69a458cfe7245fa6f4309b79.jpg
c057176bfc540d2336f5cf8be6c4305c.jpg

mtnkid85

Adventurer
This is an interesting idea, have you looked at festool sustainers? They're tool boxes with fairly thin vertical walls I'd think they would be quite effiecient. There are three different footprints available and then multiple heights within those footprints.

Woodsman

Adventurer
As a woodworker, I've considered these but find them to be small for most goods. If they were considerably bigger it would be better. DeWalt makes a more reasonably priced alternative to the Festool boxes called Stack Boxes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke