Storage Box Efficiency

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I thought this might be useful or interesting to someone.

Capture1.JPG

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Nice, I like that.

I'm always aware of which of my bins have tapered sides (nesting, great for shipping big stacks of items to the store, bad for maximizing interior volume vs. footprint).

Since so many of us spend so much time being short on space, this seems like an important metric to keep in mind.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
How do or did they measure efficiency? A rolled up shirt can conform to many shapes, boxes of ammo not so much. It's a great comparison for sizes. Thanks for the post.

Dazrin

Adventurer
Very nice. When I was looking for bins for underneath my sleeping platform I specifically went and found straight sided ones for exactly this reason.

This is probably obvious to most, but one comment that isn't directly addressed here is that you need to also look at your vehicle. Getting an "efficient" tote that doesn't use the space you have efficiently is just as bad (or worse) than a less efficient tote that fits better. Unusable outside space is as bad as unusable space due to the shape of the container.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
^i totally agree with that, I think boxes and/or drawers that fit just right are probably more important than the figures noted above.

tarditi

Explorer
Tapered sides seem much more common because stores can nest them during shipping and storage.

This is lousy for those of us that want to put other boxes/drawer sets inside or [gasp] put your container on its side intentionally.
For instance - I was looking all over to source a decent sized plastic/resin box that I could make into a chuckbox, with internal drawers and dividers. Nothing suitable - everything was tapered or designed to stack. Ended up stalking ebay for months and got a Dosko Campmate, but would have liked to spend $200 less for my solution - that's $200 I would have for other gear.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Would be nice to see a complete table.

I like to slide stuff in between boxes that I require for quick access. The tapered sides are great for load bearing(assuming the lid is worth a snot). Plastic boxes(lighter, thinner ones, not rotomolded) would require considerable vertical ribbing if their sides were not tapered, so as to deny flex. I am very happy with my Plano Sportsman(med), as I can stack a total of six of them in the trunk of my forester if needed. Just remember, buy some space bags and a wee 12v vac to suck your clothing down for even more space :D

fishEH

Explorer
How do or did they measure efficiency? A rolled up shirt can conform to many shapes, boxes of ammo not so much. It's a great comparison for sizes. Thanks for the post.

It's pretty obvious how they measured for efficiency. Total useable interior volume VS total exterior volume the container will take up. The chart assumes every possible cubic inch inside will be used.

Storage efficiency is something that has always bugged me with most "rugged" containers.
These are some of the most robust and efficient totes I've found, and they're cheap.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-12-Gallon-Commercial-FlipTote-in-Grey-121521-001/203664499
The one downfall is the flaps only interlock, no latch, but there are holes for a lock or something to secure the two flaps together.

Camelfilter

Explorer
...These are some of the most robust and efficient totes I've found, and they're cheap.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-12-Gallon-Commercial-FlipTote-in-Grey-121521-001/203664499
The one downfall is the flaps only interlock, no latch, but there are holes for a lock or something to secure the two flaps together.

Thanks for the link. According to reviews over there HD has changed vendors within the past few years. Folks reviewing submit that the "new" made in America version is flimsy/poor quality. Are you satisfied with the "new" one, or the old one from a Canadian company?

Thanks.

fishEH

Explorer
Thanks for the link. According to reviews over there HD has changed vendors within the past few years. Folks reviewing submit that the "new" made in America version is flimsy/poor quality. Are you satisfied with the "new" one, or the old one from a Canadian company?

Thanks.
I just checked and the two I have say "Made in USA" on the bottom. I working in shipping/receiving for a few years and we had totes nearly identical to the HD ones. They seem plenty tough to me and have withstood a few years of abuse no problem.

alu-boxes through Epuipt outfitters would likely beat all those listed, I need to add them.
Those are nice, but they come at a HEFTY price. Nearly 27x more than the HD tote. If I need watertight exterior storage I'm going to go with a Pelican case. But I can't see spending $240 for a single case for interior organizational storage.

vati kaki

Observer
ffade781877b52beffba6da662350af6.jpg
b58b4d5352d639e4c1dd55717a5856a5.jpg

Stapels got these in couple sizes this one is 17 L ,other bigger
They are strong and almost sure us made

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator

perkj

Explorer
I have a couple of these "Really Useful Boxes" and the only issue I have with them is that the lid latch becomes very loose in the closed position after open/closing it a few times....to the point of where the latch doesn't really hold the lid on any longer. A bit disappointing b/c the boxes are very nice use space very efficiently

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I just updated post #1 with more boxes.

Looks like the Alu-boxes and Milk crates are the most efficient hard boxes so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94