Winch help and decision

Ryan Matthes

Adventurer and Explorer
throwing this out because I am genuinely curious - what about Rugged Ridge? I have a Warn VR mounted on the front, but have a RR on a portable cradle for rear or other vehicle use. Haven't had to use it yet, but seems well built.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
That video does nothing for me. Proves nothing. An 8 or 9K winch is simply lifting a 3k (or there abouts) vehicle. It should be able to do that and then some. Even the cheapest, no name units on the market would handle that.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
That video does nothing for me. Proves nothing. An 8 or 9K winch is simply lifting a 3k (or there abouts) vehicle. It should be able to do that and then some. Even the cheapest, no name units on the market would handle that.

Agreed. Plus, I wonder what their lawyers would say about showing this. :p

By the way, this brings up the point of winching vs. hoisting. Winching is always a horizontal activity. Hoisting is always vertical. Winches have freespooling clutches; hoists do not. Hoists require powering out for safety reasons. This is why you don't use a winch as a hoist. If that clutch lets go it can be very dangerous. (And I'm generally talking about applications outside of vehicle recovery, such as lifting an engine block, I-beam, etc. And yes, I realize this is a stunt and all the safety precautions were likely taken.)

COMEUP

Supporting Sponsor - COMEUP Winches

That Jeep literally hung there for 4+ hours without any slippages , going up and down from time to time via the wireless remote for the winch.
Even the cheapest , no name winch can do the same? I doubt

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
You're free to doubt all you like. Demonstrating your unit without comparison to any others is not proof of superiority. It's still just a demonstration vs. any sort of real test or comparison.

I have nothing against the Comeup brand but this demo still proves nothing beyond what you would expect out of this type of consumer product. I would expect it to be able to lift half to a third of it's stated capacity and I would expect the brake to hold the same.

PSA...never use a recovery winch as a hoist. They are different animals and rated as such.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94