LR3 Problems

SDLR3

Observer
I was driving on the freeway the other day on got HDC warning and a bunch of lights came on in amber color. Including 2 brake lights and the light for ride height. The transmission said error and limited gears available and truck dropped to access height. It felt like car was dropped power as well. I got to my destination. Turned off the truck and errors went away. I got the truck lifted back up and pulled the fuse so it would not drop again. I had to run another errand on my way home and then the engine light came on now.

I got home and searched and said possible Brake Light Switch could be issue. Went to LR dealership and picked one up and did a soft reset. Problem seemed to go away. I was then driving again on Friday and same thing happened. I pulled over, got it raised up as I was on my way to pick up kids from school. Same warnings with HDC error and transmission error limited gears available. I was then driving home just about to exit freeway and then it felt like transmission was stuck in second or first. luckily I was about 1/2 mile from house and made it home. Kids would have complained if I told them to walk. When I got home I noticed it was also lowered back to access mode even though I had pulled the fuse.

Any insight would be appreciated. I am going to have it towed next week to my Indy shop and they said they would pull codes and find out what is going on. On side note, I just put in new Interstate Battery in May.

A.J.M

Explorer
What's the spec of the battery? They can get moody if it's a substandard one.

Check your alternator as a failing one can still run the car but throw the systems into a frenzy.
Also check all bulbs are working, sounds daft but blown bulbs can again throw up funny things.

Check behind the battery box, there is an ECU that can suffer water ingress. It has 3 connectors going into it, it's usually the blue one that gets corroded plugs.
Remove and dry out the ecu and also clean up all terminals and seal them with silicone gel or similar to stop future water ingress.

When you changed the brake switch. Did you touch the brake pedal? It cannot be moved during the switch change.

gotmud

Observer
Do you have access to an OEM reader? If so, these events should be logged, and will give you an idea of what the computer "saw" during the event(s). Nonetheless, sounds like a leaking air bag, which is one of the most common suspension issues on these vehicles.

justaddmtns

Observer
I had this and checked brake sensor, the battery box ECU, the wires on the passenger floor and....it was a wheel sensor.

SDLR3

Observer
It is a good battery. I will check behind the battery box for water ingress. My friend who has an LR3 suggested I check the bulbs which I did and they seem to all be functioning. It is possible that I did touch the brake pedal when I changed it. Something new. I went to start the car and first time I had the transmission error and the HDC error. The truck also would not start and I would smell gas. I finally got it to start. The only light that stayed on was the Engine light.
What's the spec of the battery? They can get moody if it's a substandard one.

Check your alternator as a failing one can still run the car but throw the systems into a frenzy.
Also check all bulbs are working, sounds daft but blown bulbs can again throw up funny things.

Check behind the battery box, there is an ECU that can suffer water ingress. It has 3 connectors going into it, it's usually the blue one that gets corroded plugs.
Remove and dry out the ecu and also clean up all terminals and seal them with silicone gel or similar to stop future water ingress.

When you changed the brake switch. Did you touch the brake pedal? It cannot be moved during the switch change.

A.J.M

Explorer
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic...h+lit+up&sid=ca795c356380dcac5bfca12b5cc04196

Have a read and you can check the list off possible items as you go along it.

Or cry. Both may be acceptable... Haha!

Mine has been electrically fine, it did try early on in ownership to throw a strip.
I administered such a volley of abuse and threats to it, the drill Sargent from Full Metal Jacket would have shook my hand.

It never did it again... :D
Landrover's need to know where you stand with regard to their "character"

SDLR3

Observer
I am leaning towards the crying at this point after my buddy sent pictures of off road adventure this weekend that we were supposed to make. I am going to order a GAP tool but in the mean time will probably have it towed and report back what they find.

cannonball55

Adventurer
I'm in North County, but have an IIDTool. IIRC you can pull codes with it on any vehicle, but not adjust settings. If it's more convenient than having it towed, PM me.

SDLR3

Observer
I had the car towed to shop today. Got a call back and they ran the codes, the only thing that came up was MAF. This would explain the car not wanting to start and the CEL. They asked if they can keep it and drive the car home and back the next day to see if it resolves the problem which I had no issue with. The previous owner had installed a K&N filter before and believe that might be a contributing factor with the MAF as they have seen people over oil them and have it end up on the MAF and cause problems. I am crossing my fingers on this.

Interested to see how this pans out, I've had this happen twice now and on one occasion spent the equivalent of a small country changing out sensors, alternators and starter motor only to find it was the battery!
Even though it gave good readings, done by both Indy and Stealers, I changed the battery and it's all been good since.
We are lucky to get eighteen, maybe twenty-four months from a battery over here, hence it happening more than once

SDLR3

Observer
I got my truck back so far so good. When the first started MAF had hard fault and showed transmission lost communication with the instrument pack. They started with MAF and resent everything. Could not find any other problems.

DVD

Adventurer
The previous owner had installed a K&N filter before and believe that might be a contributing factor with the MAF as they have seen people over oil them and have it end up on the MAF and cause problems.

I can somewhat corroborate this. The PO of my LR3 gave me a lightly used KN filter with the sale. He said that after he put it in, he got error messages. So he put the normal air filter back, and problems went away.

Anybody want to buy an almost new K&N filter? :)

unseenone

Explorer
I've been running one for two years, no problems so far. I had read about issues popping up like that, but I also read they would replace your MAF if it went bad, so I went ahead with it. I've had it out a few times, and carefully cleaned it, dried it, and retreated with with their kit, and so far so good knock on wood. I am very careful not to over oil it though.

I'm glad it is sorted, hopefully it will stay there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior