GMC Sierra purchase input needed $800, 235K miles, 2wd, x/cab, pipe/latter rack all

Might have the chance to purchase a work truck from work. It's a 07/08(that body style not exactly sure on year yet) GMC Sierra with about 235k miles, extra cab, pipe/latter rack, massive truck box. The interior needs work or seat covers, front bumper dented to hek, but the price would be about $800 plus registration.

My main plan is to use for dirt/fire trail/ family camping type stuff, nothing heavy due to 2wd. My long term plans for her would me a new motor at some point, ranch hand front bumper, slight smaller truck box, re-paint the pipe rack and transform to gear hauler or tent system, AT tires, tinted windows, and I'm sure a few other things.

My main concern is the milage and 2wd, does it seem worth it to build it up slowly. I have very little extra income, so this would be a slow project and get us out of the car we are current using for camping trips. I do know it was a service truck in Atlanta so the miles aren't exactly easy, but I also know from the work it was used that i'd say 60-70% of the miles are highway miles.

So what some thoughts and input would be appreciated.

superbuickguy

Explorer
unless it's a 6 cyl. I'd do it because there's more than $800 in parts. Also, were I to build another truck, if I started with a newer truck, I' start with a 2 wd and make it 4wd by adding an axle and transfer case.

What size motor? What is the service records like? If everything looks good then go for it.

It's either the 6.0 or 6.2 I'm thinking the 6.0 which is the same motor in my car. Not sure of the service records. I know they take good care of their trucks. I also know my father-in-law bought one about 2 years ago and hasn't had any issues yet.

unless it's a 6 cyl. I'd do it because there's more than $800 in parts. Also, were I to build another truck, if I started with a newer truck, I' start with a 2 wd and make it 4wd by adding an axle and transfer case.

Just curious, why you would start with a 2wd and change it, I'm not a mechanically inclined person so I'm a little lost.

superbuickguy

Explorer
Just curious, why you would start with a 2wd and change it, I'm not a mechanically inclined person so I'm a little lost.

The IFS on the 4x4s are not as robust as a solid-axle 4x4 truck... thus, as you'd be changing them anyway, buying a 4x4 truck would be a needless expense.
with that said, I'd buy the truck simply for the motor and trans... if you were to look for those two items, you'd be out 1500-2500 to purchase them.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
I dont know.... at the end of the day you are buying a truck that was used as a work rig aka lots of people drive it and no one treats it like its their baby
you are buying a truck with high miles that is going to need money to make it into what you want you are already going into it thinking about replacing the motor
My vote save your money sure you can sell parts off it but that means work on your part. if you goal is a family camping rig take that 800 bucks and sink it into what ever you have now.
This just sounds like it is going to end up being a money pit. before you know it you will have dropped several thousand dollars into it and at the end of the day you still have a beat truck
just my 2 cents

chaos616

Adventurer
Is it a 3/4 or 1 ton or the 1/2 ton. If 3/4 or 1 then its worth it for sure, might still be worth it for the light duty, its just the HD trucks have some heavy running gear and would probably take both the numerous drivers and the large miles better. I would also agree that if your plan is to turn it into a 4x4 off road camping rig then 2wd isn't too bad to start with, much less junk to cut off when swapping axles, that being said depending on what your doing the IFS 4x4 stuff is just fine most the time I think. If it runs good and doesn't have any weird shimmys and the engine is smooth then it could be a dependable rig for a long time. You shouldn't have too many salt issues down there in Atalanta so I would think it would be fairly clean underneath. Also if there were service records on the diff, trans, and engine that would be a good buying point (i.e. if they exist it probably has been taken care of).

rallygabe

Observer
I'd buy it as long as the interior is in decent shape. Or plan on replacing it.

I wish I had the NBS truck (mine is an 04, and had an 06) for 90% of what i do 2wd is fine as long as it has the G80 option code. check the sticker inside the glovebox for that code.

The 6.0 is a gas hungry pig generally. maybe better int he 2wd chassis. I'm not sure if anybody has come up with a way to make it more efficient yet but i'm sure it is possible.

I would buy it, buy a slide-in pop-top, and a dual sport bike carrier. if the truck is only $1000 you should be able to do all that for under $10k! which is what i paid for my truck alone.

cheers!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I beg to differ about the advantages of buying a 2wd as opposed to a 4wd. There is more to the swap than just a transfercase and axel. You also have to factor in cross members, driveshafts, shift linkage, ect, ect. I have done some sas (single axel swaps) and have to say even with the IFS (independent front suspension) in place it is much easier to find the placement of the new components for the 4wd. Also you can use the transfercase off the IFS equiped truck and then install a Dana 60 out of a Ford so that the pinion gear sits on the right side. I hope this helps. Like everyone else says if it runs then you can easily get your moneys worth in the driveline. Cheers, Chilli...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94