Limb Riser Noise/Drag

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
Great additional information; thanks a bunch! I've decided to go ahead and purchase a set, so thanks to all who shared their experience with me. Take care, Jerry

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Jerry, I know that area of Utah well and winter there in now way compares to what you are going to be encountering. Be prepared to buy a whole different set of personal equipment. When you can, start learning alpine rope work, and snow and ice climbing. Wait till you're trying to rig a sling at 10,000 ft and it is -40 degrees; it's a whole other world! The good side, density altitude works in your favor for OGE hovers up there, that is when you can actually see to work VFR. Best of luck.

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
Jerry, I know that area of Utah well and winter there in now way compares to what you are going to be encountering. Be prepared to buy a whole different set of personal equipment. When you can, start learning alpine rope work, and snow and ice climbing. Wait till you're trying to rig a sling at 10,000 ft and it is -40 degrees; it's a whole other world! The good side, density altitude works in your favor for OGE hovers up there, that is when you can actually see to work VFR. Best of luck.

Thanks Kmrtnsn!! I'm really looking forward to the new learning experience and the challenges of the job up there. I've done just enough alpine work to be dangerous; climbed Rainier and Olympus, made the annual trip to Ouray when we lived in Moniticello, dabbled a little on frozen waterfalls in New England and NC, and was USFS-certified in avalanche rescue when I worked on the Manti and for San Juan Co. Utah SAR. Had a trip planned to Kilimanjaro back in 1996, but the political situation deteriorated there and we scrubbed it. Got a lot to learn and I'm embracing it whole-heartedly. I just turned 40 in July and my wife says this must be my mid-life crisis; change of careers and geography. I just laughed and told her life's an adventure and I want to meet death head-on sliding across the finish line at a full sprint rather than wasting away due to inactivity. Thanks again, Jerry

PS- I bet those birds can hold OGE hover forever in those conditions with minimal effort or strain on the equipment. Might come in handy when I'm down below trying to get my frozen fingers to cooperate with rigging...

tacr2man

Adventurer
Have used limbrisers on my110 and didnt notice any noise or mileage effects , but remember right foot is the biggest actor on gas mileage , as you found trying to go fast with a kayak on the roof , you are probably aware of drag/speed ratio formula .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94