Limb Riser Noise/Drag

1stDeuce

Explorer
I'm not sure how the aftermarket ones work, but I made a set for my old Chevy with some hardware store hooks. If you use a stiff short spring on the bottom, you can hook them up when you need them and take them off when you don't. The springs had very little effect on their function. I used the hooks with a flat section for two screws or rivets. Easy and cheap, and I took the cables off when I wasn't wheeling, as they interfered with getting to things under the hood.

C

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
jerry
forget the limb risers,what you really need for alaska is a 180hp pa-18
or a 24 foot hews craft
seriously most 2 tracks are so overgrown people use 4 wheelers to get back off the roads.
good luck
kp

Or an Argo 8x8 with the extra wide tracks.

Get limb risers if you want, and when you're not using them just remove them and coil them up and stick them in the back of the vehicle.

Mo4130

Adventurer
I have had mine on for about a month now, and have not noticed any decrease in MPG's or wind noice. I did make them with turn buckles so I could take them off if I ever needed too. Just make sure you include a spring so it takes the initial shock load of the contact with a branch.

KK6POV

Adventurer
I have no experience with them myself, but would assume that the additional drag coefficient of unladen limb risers has minimal to no effect on vehicles such as a jeep which were not designed for aerodynamics as a consideration into the gas mileage. Which is what the original responder was attempting to say. This forum really isn't nearly as bad as some. We like to have fun though.
thank you... I wasn't meaning to sound like a jerk, just being a realist.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I grew up in AK, you aren't going to need limb risers. You are going to need block heaters and maybe an inline heater hose pre heater. A set of studded tires would be a nice addition once October rolls around. Expect to replace your windshield semi-annually too. Get a steel front bumper with a grill guard and a winch too.

My experience with SAR flight medics is that most across the States are law enforcement positions and the SAR birds are either owned and controlled by the county sheriff or the state police, or both. Many of the SAR teams in the west, even the volunteer teams, are sworn LE.

njtacoma

Explorer
I had them on my FJ-60 with a full length roof rack. I never had substantial Ice accumulate on the wires or turnbuckles I used to put tension on the wire.

Also the noise of the rack was much greater than the noise the wires might have put off.

Erik N

Adventurer
Thanks for your constructive feedback Travis! Rather than offer some info based on personal experience, you make a blanket statement about what kind of vehicle I shouldn't own. I was asking for folks who have experience an objective question, not looking for a sarcastic response with no bearing on anything important. I can say that although I'm pretty new to the forum here, I've noticed it is starting to end up like all the others out there with folks taking cheap shots from the safety of the keyboard laden with sarcasm instead of answering questions with factual or experiential information. Funny thing is, that kind of attitude and the general self-righteousness of folks is what was the major catalyst for moving to Alaska in the first place.

First off, if you want to be a paramedic, you will need to grow thicker skin and a better sense of humor. That said, a flight medic usually needs a minimum of 3-5 years working a busy 911 system as a medic before being eligible for working on a rotary or fixed wing. Most likely you will need to take a CCTP class and pass the test (which has roughly a 90% failure rate). It's not like you just pass the Nationals and jump on a bird. Maybe AK is different than the lower 48 though.

Good luck!

PS no experience w/ limb risers here, either.

Last edited:

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
There's a video here somewhere of some folks driving a track up the area. I think used their chainsaw for that the trucks.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
A set of studded tires would be a nice addition once October rolls around....Get a steel front bumper with a grill guard and a winch too.

Absolutely this! When I was in northwest Montana we put studded tires on our Subaru and oh my goodness that thing was perfect on snow and ice. And the big bumper on my truck paid off a full five times with all the deer that I hit with it.

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
First off, if you want to be a paramedic, you will need to grow thicker skin and a better sense of humor. That said, a flight medic usually needs a minimum of 3-5 years working a busy 911 system as a medic before being eligible for working on a rotary or fixed wing. Most likely you will need to take a CCTP class and pass the test (which has roughly a 90% failure rate). It's not like you just pass the Nationals and jump on a bird. Maybe AK is different than the lower 48 though.

Good luck!

PS no experience w/ limb risers here, either.

Plenty thick skin and a great sense of humor to boot; there's just nothing manly, respectable, or honorable in being rude. Got the paramedic thing covered in AK, but thanks for the info from TX. Jerry

Last edited:

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
I had them on my FJ-60 with a full length roof rack. I never had substantial Ice accumulate on the wires or turnbuckles I used to put tension on the wire.

Also the noise of the rack was much greater than the noise the wires might have put off.

Thanks Neil-that's exactly the kind of info I was hoping to find out with this post. Take care, Jerry

Last edited:

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
Good advice on the tires and bumper/winch guys! Bumper and winch are already installed; opted for a 9500lb with synthetic cable. Studded tires are a go as well-I have a used set on deck to install when I get up that way. We lived in Utah at 8000' for about 9 years. Had on average 12' of snow per winter, snow on the ground from around Halloween until mid-March, but I never had to go studded. Chains at best and 4x4 locked in for about 4 months straight. Studded tires are going to be a new venture for me for sure. Curious to see how they perform!

Quick story...I ran about 70 road miles of trapline when we lived in Monticello, UT; most of it off pavement in the Manti-LaSal NF and surrounding BLM ground near Canyonlands NP and Moab. Elevation 4000'-6500'. Would leave the mountain early to check traps when the 2-tracks were still frozen. Temps down low there would climb above freezing mid-morning and the roads would begin to turn to grease; sticky, slipperly, gooey stuff. Even in 4 Lo it could be impossible or unsafe to drive due to the drop-offs. You guys that have been to Moab know how the soil gets with a little moisture. So...when the roads got bad I'd pull over and start skinning critters, wait until the temps/sun dropped, and head home. Sometimes though it didn't freeze until late into the evening, so I would just camp out in the desert for the night and head home in the morning when it was all frozen again. I was driving a stock 4x 1999 Tacoma at the time with a camper shell. Had many a gorgeous night solo out in the deserts of the Four Corners watching the stars, sipping on coffee, and listening to the wind...

Total 2006-2007 _2.jpg

Last edited:

texploration

Adventurer
It seems this has been beaten to a bloody pulp but I'll add my two cents. I've had limb risers on for the better part of only two months. They have seen extensive use both on and off road. It has contributed with cutting down the amount of pin-striping and especially whipping when riding without doors. As far as road noise, the problem is null. I have noticed not a lick of additional noise, however they have seen nothing but Texas summer so ice accumulation is not an issue currently; couldn't really attest to the noise of them when they're weighted down. So long as they are tensioned properly, I couldn't see any significant noise addition being plausible.

For what it's worth, I built and assembled my risers from scratch for ~$25 worth of equipment from Home Depot. Best of luck!

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
I have them on my Jeep. If you attach them to the roof rack, noise should not be an issue. Only the brackets near the door on my (no rack) make noise. Fuel milage is unchanged. Mine have not iced up either, a non-issue. Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94