Limb Riser Noise/Drag

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
Hello all,

The family and I are in the process of relocating Alaska to begin a new life and pursue different careers. Going to be leaving early January 2015 and driving from NW Arkansas. I have contemplated installing a set of limb risers on the Jeep to help prevent damage to the paint/windshield and to improve visibility when putting down 2 tracks. Trying to decide if I should go ahead and purchase and install them now or wait until getting up to AK. Biggest concerns are road noise on the I-state and drag that decreases mpg. Any input based on real experiences is much appreciated. Thanks, Jerry

KK6POV

Adventurer
if your concerned with drag of two wires stretched to your roof rack, you shouldn't be driving a jeep.... just sayin'

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
Thanks for your constructive feedback Travis! Rather than offer some info based on personal experience, you make a blanket statement about what kind of vehicle I shouldn't own. I was asking for folks who have experience an objective question, not looking for a sarcastic response with no bearing on anything important. I can say that although I'm pretty new to the forum here, I've noticed it is starting to end up like all the others out there with folks taking cheap shots from the safety of the keyboard laden with sarcasm instead of answering questions with factual or experiential information. Funny thing is, that kind of attitude and the general self-righteousness of folks is what was the major catalyst for moving to Alaska in the first place.

Just for clarification; I am going to be driving close to 5k miles to get to my final destination. Seeing as I don't have unlimited financial resources I am concerned about things like drag; especially if that drag costs several mpg worth of performance. That loss of mpg equates into dollars; which over 5k miles could be quite a sum. So...I'd be curious to hear from folks who have experience with limb risers about the noise level and drag related issues if any. Thanks so much, Jerry

Last edited:
If you feel you will need these limb risers, why not source everything before you leave (you're right probably cheaper in the lower 48) and then install when you get up there. I would assume you will not need them on the travel up there, and ice build-up as you travel through BC and the Yukon would exasperate any drag and noise issues. You may find once you're up there that you didn't need them anyway.

Good luck on the travels and transition

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
Thanks! Good call- I didn't even consider all the ice accumulation. That would sure add a little weight; like the rigging on a ship. Won't need them for sure on the way up as this is a straight run with a few stops along the way for sightseeing and such. Great info! Take care, Jerry

fowldarr

Explorer
I have no experience with them myself, but would assume that the additional drag coefficient of unladen limb risers has minimal to no effect on vehicles such as a jeep which were not designed for aerodynamics as a consideration into the gas mileage. Which is what the original responder was attempting to say. This forum really isn't nearly as bad as some. We like to have fun though.

fortel

Adventurer
I've never run limb risers so I don't have any first-hand experience with them, but I have a whole bunch of years and miles driven with canoes and kayaks on roof racks with bow lines tied to the front of the vehicle. I can't ever remember hearing any noise from the bow lines and I would think it would be a similar thing. Of course I had plenty of drag from boats on the roof but that was part of the price for going paddling. I think the idea of putting together the parts kit and then installing once there makes sense. Good luck.

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
Thanks fortel! Probably real similar for sure. Speaking of boat drag, I went on a recent 10 day trip to the Boundary Waters in May. We started off with my 14' Mad River canoe up top on the Gobi. Once we hit Hwy 65 South of Branson and were able to accelerate to 65-70mph, I watched my fuel economy go from 17mpg to about 9.6mpg!! That canoe acted like a huge drogue chute that not only killed the fuel mileage, but also robbed the engine of any pep. It was so bad, that I dropped it off at a friends' in Kansas City and we opted to rent a kevlar Wenonah when we hit Ely. Take care, Jerry

Last edited:

kpredator

Adventurer
limb risers

jerry
forget the limb risers,what you really need for alaska is a 180hp pa-18
or a 24 foot hews craft
seriously most 2 tracks are so overgrown people use 4 wheelers to get back off the roads.
good luck
kp

fowldarr

Explorer
They are wires that typically go from the headlight protectors of an aftermarket bumper to a roof rack. As you drive the limbs you encounter are raised to protect your windshield etc.

Sardog1

Observer
Like fortel, I don't have limb riser experience but loads of Jeep XJ/kayak mileage under my belt. Soon after buying the kayak, I switched from straps to ratchet ropes on the bow lines. This eliminated any noise and certainly must have helped with wind drag as well but I never checked mileage to compare. Face it, most Jeeps are about as aerodynamic as a garden shed so were used to finding fuel more often than others! Can't blame you for wanting to get the most mpg on a trip like that though.

Those that mentioned buying the supplies in the lower 48 and installing them if required at your destination are correct in saving money as well as time. It'll be a whole different world for you in AK!

Best of luck and safe travels on your journey. You are doing something that many dream about but few act on!

Lucky j

Explorer
One thing you could do is buy (you want them anyway), install, try and see for your self. If you remove them, they will be easy to re-install. And you can come back here to tell us about the experience you got. Every one here would benefit from it.

And by the way, gutsy move! Good luck with the plans for your new life!:)

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
Thanks for all the advice guys! I think I'll go with Lucky J's suggestion of installing here in Arkansas and trying it out as a little experiment. Should be a piece of cake to pop them off if need be on the road. It's been a dream of mine to live there for years. I'll be sure to post the results back here for others to glean wisdom from. Spent quite a bit of time there; both summer and winter including one Dec-Jan living in a 12x12 canvas wall tent while running a trapline. Lots of stories from that little adventure! New course of action is to become a flight medic on a SAR helicopter. Got years of wilderness emergency medicine and SAR experience under my belt, but never at the paramedic level; which requires an AA degree in Paramedical Technology...so, begin that course of training in Soldotna January 2015. Can't wait!! Take care, Jerry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles