The Noob Trailer build

Forsie

Observer
So I'm new to expo style trailers, but I really love the idea of being able to set up a base-camp, that I dont have to break down if I want to use my rig during the day. I have never really liked the idea of a "camper" and so I have never even looked into or though much about owning one. Not that I know nothing about trailers in general, but camping outfits, yep I'm clueless.

I have also been lurking here for a good long time, gathering intel and ideas. And I gotta say, props to some very ingenious and talented people, I have been greatly inspired. So much so that I decided I would give it a go of my own.

I wanted to build something lightweight, that I can tow with my 4 cylinder Suzuki. It needs to be small and maneuverable, and off road capable, to a point. But Space is a big deal too. Any of you guys with Jeeps, or Zuks can feel my pain here, they are great for what they are for, but super limited on space. I have gotten pretty used to camping out of my Zuk, and when it was just me it was great. But then I had to go and get married (about a year ago) and since then I'm pretty sure the gear I need to bring has tripled... or maybe even quadrupled... but however much, it has become very apparent that the Zuk wont hold it all.

I started looking at what others have done and gathering parts. And just figuring out what to plan into the build. I have gone through several different steps ( Admit, beleive, make a decision, etc. ) to get to where I am finally ready to start. As you can imagine, money is an issue (She costs a lot!), so inexpensive is the name of the game. Something that fits my needs, was out of my price range by a fair ammount. So I decide to build from scratch.

I want to include the following. But may not get it all done on the first run. So I have designed in some modularity, so I can add stuff later
- Small, light, offroad capable
- Dual purpose, for now, Happy Wife; Happy Life. She was a little opposed at first, ( Irony, since she is the one who needs the extra gear ) but if I can use it for more than just camping...
- Tent, not sure which one yet.
- Eventually a lid, and slide out kitchen
- Water tank (later)
- Battery, water pump, solar charging (later)

Anyway pretty simple, once i get it going and start using it Im sure the list will change. But for now this is what Im starting with.

This is how today started

3f832e969b02f530f3fb7a2bd5049a00.jpg

Then it started taking shape...

300040b725d0cc686fd16a78d0d7243a.jpg

The end of the day, not bad for about 8 hours... You can see in the floor that the cross braces will double as mouting locations for the water tank (ahead of the axle), and battery box (behind), wanted to keep them low for good weight distribution. There will be a tongue box, and the "frame" section will ad rigidity and make it sit up a bit taller. All in all Im happy with the way its coming along already.

5c607bf31faa9187c5c1df76fc72d660.jpg

Last edited:

Forsie

Observer
I realized after it was all welded up that it's a bit wide. Well, as wide as I planned, but as it turns out a bit wider than I thought.

It's 48" x 65", inside the box. Kinda biggish behind my tiny Tracker.

I also tend to over engineer the crap outa stuff I build, and the angle iron floor braces are not as rigid as I was hoping for. I may just leave it, since this things gross weight will probably never exceed 1500 lbs or so, but...

Last edited:

rebar

Adventurer
I realized after it was all welded up that it's a bit wide. Well, as wide as I planned, but as it turns out a bit wider than I thought.

It's 48" x 65", inside the box. Kinda biggish behind my tiny Tracker.

I also tend to over engineer the crap outa stuff I build, and the angle iron floor braces are not as rigid as I was hoping for. I may just leave it, since this things gross weight will probably never exceed 1500 lbs or so, but...

Hind sights 20/20.. Looks good from here though. How much wider than the tracker will/would it be?

Forsie

Observer
Well the tracker is about 66" between the outsides of the tires. I'm thinking this will end up just a bit wider than that, 68-70" or so. Not terrible, probably hardly noticeable really. But on the bright side, this way it wont look as small behind my pickup :smiley_drive:

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Don't worry about the oversized width too much. That little extra width makes it more stable and easier to see when towing. So long as its not wider than the total width of your vehicle, including the mirrors, you'll be fine.

What material do you plan on using for the floor? You mentioned using it as multipurpose, in which case, I would recommend wood planking. Wood is easy to repair/replace and is lighter and cheaper than any metal floor material of comparable strength.

Forsie

Observer
Thanks for the kind words, Im thinkin wood will work well for now and should be easy to change later if I end up wanting to. I think eventually I might want to skin the box and build a lid, but for now I need this to be more useful than dedicated.

Got more done today. The frame and tongue are all set.

54999e9c3ad5886b05785525f3fa78f4.jpg

Also picked up the tires i will be using, They are from my little brothers Ranger, almost brand new baby BFG ATs on little 14" aluminum wheels. I wanted to run the same spare as my Tracker, to save weight, but it is looking like this will be pulled by a couple different vehicles. Also the Ranger wheels were a trade instead of cash, so I can live with a dedicated spare.

fbc1cfddc371757461fae5ca7316e12b.jpg

Last edited:

Forsie

Observer
Tonight I got a little more done, set up the fender mounts and side braces. Next will be the tongue box and tailgate.

I know it's a pretty simple little utility trailer, but I'm really happy with it so far.

9a27aace1098305c49e99d0fc3b09359.jpg

48ba9d1e38e27c7a68a251c54061319e.jpg

Last edited:

Forsie

Observer
Well I have neglected this thread pretty good. But with good cause, some things have changed for me. Notably I have a different tow rig now.

97 T4R. Should make pulling this thing a bit easier.

13d1cd0b9f93c90578f4837e44e09d7a.jpg

Forsie

Observer
But I have made some progress on the trailer itself too

Started tailgate, and mostly finished it. Still needs a latch.

91f225cd5d0b1835e999e622081ad152.jpg

This table part folds up to make a galley area

ef2edf37740a8750703d2188faa30d62.jpg

This catch holds the weight of the gate when closed, so's it wont sag. But I will add a latch that locks it closed later. Also decide to brace the sides inside the bed, to keep it clean on the rear corners. The tail lights will also mount to the gate.

6553a12e4e859b42adb9f20e489de37b.jpg

Last edited:

Forsie

Observer
I decided I liked the utility of a tray in front of the box, instead of a tongue box. So I repurposed an old Hitch-Haul that I honestly had used only a couple times in the last 10 years I have owned it. I sectioned out the middle and welded it up so it's now one piece, and the same width as the box. added some supports, and Viola! tongue tray extraordinaire!

6ec63e9fd61034257d14ebba88bfc7c0.jpg

Mocked it up behind the Runner. Like.

af376dc6bd2e3ae7c8b5d332eeaac010.jpg

Forsie

Observer
Im excited to see it coming along so well. I have had to change plans a couple of times. Like now I am gonna be running wheels that match the Runner, so the fender setup is gonna change. Also the Runner is getting lifted 3 inches very soon, so I think that with the bigger tires on the trailer and the lift on the truck it will level out pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier