Max Coupler, Lock n Roll, or ????

jwilson2598

Adventurer
Looking to get an off road couple at some point for my trailer and was trying to figure out which one seems to be the best. I don't really have the fab skills or time to make my own, so I'm looking for one of the commercial solutions. I know about Max Coupler and Lock n Roll, but wasn't sure if there was some other option I was overlooking. Thoughts/opinions appreciated. Thanks.

I am interested in the options as well, just haven't started to do any research yet.... What's wrong with the Pintle? So far it's been good for me... Is it the noise that people don't like?

Sent from handheld smoke signal device

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've used the Lock-&-Roll for over 6 years and it's been trouble free-

Very easy for me to "hitch", because my off-road trailer is very maneuverable by hand and-

I have a pintlel/lunette/ball hitch backups-

I've read of people having trouble with the L&R, but not I

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Uncontrolled backup and jackknife-

What kind of trouble have they described?

Disfigures the "L&R, so its use is generally "VOID"-

Mind your Ps & Qs-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBOP

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Ya know, every year I dab a little grease on the mating pieces, just to keep the accrued dust from wearing parts !

I hear the newer L&Rs are stronger too-

jwilson2598

Adventurer
Thanks for the opinions. I have a Manley ORV, so I already have a ball/coupler I can use for quick on road stuff, just looking for a more off-road capable solution.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Thanks for the opinions. I have a Manley ORV, so I already have a ball/coupler I can use for quick on road stuff, just looking for a more off-road capable solution.

You never mentioned the type of terrain that is driving your quest for an "off road coupler." My trailer is set up to use both a ball hitch and Lock N Roll, but I use the ball hitch 90% of the time, even offroad.

Do you really need a multi-axis coupler like a Max Coupler or Lock N Roll, or, like me, you will look back later and say, "It wasn't necessary but it seemed like a good idea at the time."

protohyp

Adventurer
I use the newer Lock n Roll and it handles really well. Have had no issues backing up but I always back up carefully. I also like the thought that a thief has scratch his head to figure out how to get it mounted on his ball hitch. Granted the resourceful thief could figure it out but most would probably pass over it. To me that is just one of the benefits of owning one. You just have to be a careful tower and aware of surroundings. I have had a 2" ball pop off when a trailer hopped over a curve on a right turn. I double checked everything and was able to blame it on the Uhaul guys since they are the ones that hitched it and it happened just outside their shop. Now whether or not it was their fault who knows but I personally don't get that feeling when the Lock N Roll is behind me. Just check in on it and make sure that all the dust that may or may not get into the moving parts gets cleaned and greased properly.

the Lock n Roll isn't without a gripe though because like the ball hitch when you bump your knee into it it hurts like hell and may take out a bigger chunk of skin because of the sharp edges.

jwilson2598

Adventurer
You never mentioned the type of terrain that is driving your quest for an "off road coupler." My trailer is set up to use both a ball hitch and Lock N Roll, but I use the ball hitch 90% of the time, even offroad.

Do you really need a multi-axis coupler like a Max Coupler or Lock N Roll, or, like me, you will look back later and say, "It wasn't necessary but it seemed like a good idea at the time."

That's a fair point, and I am wiling to accept input on that. I don't do a bunch of serious wheeling, so maybe it's overkill for what I need. I just wanted something secure and able to do off-camber if I encounter it.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: If you have an off-road vehicle and an off-road trailer--

That's a fair point, and I am wiling to accept input on that. I don't do a bunch of serious wheeling, so maybe it's overkill for what I need. I just wanted something secure and able to do off-camber if I encounter it.

What possible logic can you use to "NOT" have an off-road hitch--ie: Lock & Roll/Max Coupler/360° Pintel-

Will you feel justified in saying--Nah, I just use a ball hitch--never had any reason for one of them fancy critters !

Kinda like saying-"Nope, I don't have lockers, never needem, never will"-

It's amazing how much trouble you can have in a "MALL"-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94