Egan's M101A3 Build

snowblind

Adventurer
I went with the middle one. I didn't need the extra strength for ATV's, just normal gear. It was probably overkill.

I'm still working on a rack design, most likely mounted to the trailer and removable - mounting a rack to the DiamondBack limits my options and won't get the RTT high enough.

I meant what truck model DiamondBack did you get? F150? Sliverado? Titan? etc? They have a bunch of clearance stock on their web store but no measurements. Wondering what specific model has the most desirable measurements.

I was thinking of a tent platform across just the rear section of the DB. I got the idea from the Diamond Back marketing showing one ATV across the back while the guy still accessed the front compartment. That area is roughly 50"x70" and could hold a 2-person tent.

Matt

Egan70

Observer
I meant what truck model DiamondBack did you get? F150? Sliverado? Titan? etc? They have a bunch of clearance stock on their web store but no measurements. Wondering what specific model has the most desirable measurements.

I was thinking of a tent platform across just the rear section of the DB. I got the idea from the Diamond Back marketing showing one ATV across the back while the guy still accessed the front compartment. That area is roughly 50"x70" and could hold a 2-person tent.

Matt

They actually have an M101A3 "model". I believe it is a 70's era Dodge Ram, but the paperwork actually has "M101A3-SELX" as the part number. I filled out a custom dimension sheet, but they just used that to verify this model would fit my trailer.

The rear deck is 40"Lx67"W, so not sure how well it would work for the RTT - if you include the center section, you'll pick up another 12' or so of length.

snowblind

Adventurer
They actually have an M101A3 "model". I believe it is a 70's era Dodge Ram, but the paperwork actually has "M101A3-SELX" as the part number. I filled out a custom dimension sheet, but they just used that to verify this model would fit my trailer.

LOL. That's pretty funny that they have the 101A3 already in the system.

Matt

Egan70

Observer
Added a 5lb fire extinguisher to the trailer using a quick release mount from Off-Road Solutions.

Bottom half of quick release mount, this part stays with the trailer:

The other half gets attached to the extinguisher with hose clamps:

The bottom of the mount acts as a hinge and the top has a quick release pin:

Egan70

Observer
Takes less than a second to get the extinguisher out and ready to go.

Here are a couple of long shots:

The extinguisher will stay in the garage when parked, but on board for any trips. One thing I didn't think about until now is that this might interfere with the RTT I am planning (the annex might block access). I may go out the back with the RTT anyway, but we'll see. I do know this spot does clear my articulating rack design.

RagnarD

Adventurer
Good call on the fire extinguisher and nice install. I usually pack one and keep one handy while working/cooking outside.

Egan70

Observer
Had a little bit of free time this morning so I installed my 11 lb propane tank and holder.

Powertank Mount #BKT-2286 with a Worthington 11 lb tank. Now we're all set for our camping trip next month - no time to get the RTT rack built, but this will be the last year sleeping on the ground!

The mount doesn't look level, but trust me it is (stenciling throws off your perspective).

Bolted through and I pulled the rubber nubs through as well.

Egan70

Observer
Took our first camping trip with the trailer this past Sunday through Wednesday. The trailer was completely full with most of the heavy items ahead of the axle. This definitely weighed the front down along with the rear of my truck (may need to raise the pintle a bit to compensate). We went to Plumas Eureka State Park (I've been going here for 40 years) which involved climbing from basically sea level in Sacramento over 7,000 feet at Donner Summit, and then up and down multiple times until we settled at camp around 5,000 feet. The H2 pulled great and I really didn't notice the trailer, provided I got a good running start before passing semi's on the uphills. My mileage up to the summit was pretty good at a whopping 7.8 MPG, but it is an improvement over 6.8 MPG last year (55MPH with a trailer is apparently better than 80MPH without one :) ). Really the only problem I had was the last climb from Graeagle to the park which has a 1,000 foot elevation gain in just a couple of miles. This is where I noticed the trailer as the tranny struggled to find a good gear. I may consider the Duramax+Allison 6 speed conversion again.

I really liked the DiamondBack top although I had some issues getting it closed and open again from things in the way inside the bed. I'll have to tweak the brackets a bit more. Other than that, access was great and when rain threatened, I could keep things dry in there. Now I just have to complete my rack design - this was the last year I'll be sleeping on the ground!

Here's a few pictures:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz