Egan's M101A3 Build

Egan70

Observer
Need some help deciding on a direction for the rack. We've decided on the CVT Mt. Rainier RTT because of it's size and the annex/changing room. I don't think we'll go bigger and if I build the rack for this, anything smaller would be fine.

I have a couple of options I drew up:

1) RTT opens to passenger side and utilizes a minimum sized rack (RTT only). This helps with access through the DiamondBack cover and keeps the weight centered (mostly) over the axle. I am a little concerned with having the RTT off center left to right.

2) RTT opens to passenger side and utilizes a full length rack. This hinders cover access a bit more, but allows for carrying other items on the rack (rack detail for this is not shown).

3) RTT opens to rear and utilizes a minimum sized rack. I really think the rear opening is much more versatile, especially for paved parking campsites where you may not have access on either side. I could make the rack full length here too, which would give me a lot fo room for carrying other items.

Thoughts, opinions? You may have to click on the pictures to open them in photobucket and then hit the zoom icon.

FYI - Color scheme - trailer bed=green, trailer frame=gray, RTT=magenta, Cover=white, and RTT Rack=blue

RagnarD

Adventurer
I like option 3 the best. Been kicking around the idea of a RTT myself and was thinking of putting it above the front of the trailer so the hinge in the tent runs perpendicular to the trailer. Either opens towards the rear or over the tongue.

shack

Adventurer
2 or 3. I have no issues opening my tent off the side of my trailer, but its not as big as the one you're getting.

Egan70

Observer
Do you guys think the weight distribution will be an issue with most of the tent weight (option 3) being aft of the axle? I don't want the tail wagging the dog, although I can probably compensate by loading the heavy gear in the front of the trailer.

dstock

Explorer
2 or 3. I have no issues opening my tent off the side of my trailer, but its not as big as the one you're getting.

I go off the side too. I use my tailgate as a kitchen and have an awning back there to cover it. If you are using an annex, off the back is limiting in my opinion.

Egan70

Observer
Thanks for the advice - you guys all have threads I've been following and getting ideas from so it is much appreciated.

While the rear mount works for the camping we normally do, the more I thought about blocking the tailgate the more I realized we may camp other places where I would want that access.

I think I am going to go back to my original idea to make the RTT rotate and slide. I'll see what I can come up with to make this simple, yet sturdy. This would cover both option 1 and 3 and I could use the rack design from 3 for both.

Jarred

Hi,
Can you share some details on where you got your lid from? I'm working on my 1102 lid and I like the diamond plate.

Thanks,
Jarred

Egan70

Observer
Hi,
Can you share some details on where you got your lid from? I'm working on my 1102 lid and I like the diamond plate.

Thanks,
Jarred

DiamondBack covers

Jordan Smith
DiamondBack Truck Covers
Ph: 800.935.4002 X27 | Fax: 866.311.3232
www.diamondbackcovers.com
flickr.com/photos/diamondbackcovers
facebook.com/diamondbackcovers

They have the M101A3 as an actual part number, not sure on the M1102. Give them a call. Worst case they'll have you fill out a dimension sheet.

dstock

Explorer
Worked on getting the Diamondback cover installed today. It is designed to work with a typical pickup truck bed rail, so I improvised by adding a lip:

This presented some unique challenges using their clamps because they are designed around the lip going under the cover, not 180 degrees the other way. I modified the clamps to get a wider grip and they worked out ok - I'll try to find a better solution later.

Question for you:

So would a piece of C-channel with the opening at the bottom best mimic a pickup truck rail?

Egan70

Observer
Question for you:

So would a piece of C-channel with the opening at the bottom best mimic a pickup truck rail?

That might work depending on the dimensions. If you can find a piece that has similar depth and width to a bed rail such that the jaw of the clamp sits full within the channel it would work a lot better than the L angle I used. I haven't had any issues (yet), but I may experiment now that the weather has changed and I have time to work on the trailer. I also thought about bolting the center section in or using a threaded rod with a hook on the end and bolting the other end through the fender well.

dstock

Explorer
That might work depending on the dimensions. If you can find a piece that has similar depth and width to a bed rail such that the jaw of the clamp sits full within the channel it would work a lot better than the L angle I used. I haven't had any issues (yet), but I may experiment now that the weather has changed and I have time to work on the trailer. I also thought about bolting the center section in or using a threaded rod with a hook on the end and bolting the other end through the fender well.

Thanks. I'm leaning towards purchasing one of these mostly due to time constraints in the coming year and the need for lockable storage. Sometimes I forget I have a welder, I could probably just fab up a mounting point that would more closely resemble a bed rail. Will let you know what I come up with if I go this route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94