A fatty for her... to share

Two-Wheeled Explorer

Proceeding on...
Not yet. I'd suggest looking into Revelate Designs-type bags; frame packs, handlebar packs and seatpost mount packs. Basically the whole world of Tour Divide-style ultralight bikepacking gear. I have a Jandd aircraft carrier deck sized rear rack on my Pugs...kind of "old school".
d3098a9ef4ab80b8e8cd73ddbde2066e.jpg

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I still somewhat question a fatbike for a starter bike. I think much of this depends on fitness levels, the type of terrain available to your wife, and most importantly, who she'll be riding with (if anyone) and what they ride.

We have a local in town who is almost over the top with regard to fatbike evangelizing. He of course bought his wife one. When she rides with her lady pals, she's always the caboose. Fatbikes are faster than most people expect, but still won't match the speed of a traditional bike on most trails. Just something to consider. That also plays into the weight issue. I weigh 160 pounds, so my 30 pound Bucksaw is a good match. Put a 120 pound woman on a 37 pound bike, and now the balance is greatly shifted. One of my riding buddies clocks in at 210 pounds and throws his 32 pound Pugsly around like it's light as pixie farts.

Ryan Rogers

Adventurer
Given any thought to a half-fat bike? Specifically the Surly Krampus? It's a lot of fun. All of the fun of a fat bike (has 3" tires instead of 4"), but a lot of the benefits of a traditional MTB too.

Though personally, from your initial post, it sounds like what might be best for your wife would be a normal 29er MTB with tubeless. I like riding 29's for their roll-over-anything-ability, but they still let you steer the bike (as the fat-bikes kind of steer you in really rough terrain). The tubeless would let her ride low pressures which would give all the suspension she'd probably need. Just not so low pressure as to burp the tire....because that sucks.

fourstringfletch

Adventurer
I've considered the 3" bikes, and I'd love to see more competition in that family. This is why I like to wait on new trends to equalize in the sweet spot between things like rocker / camber, skinny / fat, etc...

Great thoughts on rider/bike weight ratio Christophe. What would you recommend as a budget cupid bike to spark the love of rolling through the woods?

I keep coming back to the moments that can take the fun out of riding (rear wheel slips when you're almost up a steep hill, front washes out in a turn, sand bogs you down, etc...) and I can't help but think that a fatbike will allow us to just get out there and have fun, slowly. Living in a town like Telluride, there are a lot of people around who will always be faster and more committed to extreme sports, and I don't see her riding with that crowd.
Realistically, she'll mostly ride with me and our older neighbors who aren't intimidatingly athletic. When we ride together, a slower pace is better for our 18 lb dog who shouldn't sprint for 20 miles anyway.

Have I justified this new toy as a selfish gift yet or what? :)
Seems like a low risk way to offer her the option of biking without "her" bike collecting too much dust.

Last edited:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I will play the bad guy and argue that a fatbike is not the bike to "spark the love of rolling through the woods"...if only one bike is on the table for your wife
If you want a fat bike fine but if I was trying to get my gf/future wife on a mtb (and off her tri bike) I wouldn't pick a fatty...

I love mine but:

It is heavy...even my carbon framed beargrease is 2-3 lbs heavier than my full suspension 5 inch trail bike...
It is much more work to ride in technical terrain as the tires throw you all over in the rocky stuff...novelty wears off fast...I wish all trails were groomed in the winter
I had awful hip and knee pain initially because of the q factor...had to limit rides to once or twice a week last winter right after I got it especially when I was grinding in deep snow...fine now but took a lot of getting used to
Did I say heavy...I have never thought...boy I wish my bike was 30lbs instead of 25lbs

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I tend to agree with flagster. There is definitely a fatbike craze going on, and it's not only valid, it's fun. But...fatbikes do have drawbacks. Notable drawbacks. They're not deal breakers, but people tend to see everyone having a hoot on fatbikes and want to jump on the big-tire wagon. I get it.

The more I think about it, the more I think the only way to see if your wife would enjoy a fatbike is to put her on one. If the light goes on...get one. If she's so-so about it, get her a full suspension 27.5 bike and call it a day. That's a super safe bet.

Gooseberry

Explorer
I first had a pug and picked up one for the wife ( we meet racing mt bikes ) and she rides way more techy stuff on the pug because it rolls it better and it's not a race. I would love to get her a Krampus like I have now but she hit a tree and is just now back on the bike so time will tell. Ha she is riding the road bike that she hates and it's a seven. Chris will you be in Vegas

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Chris will you be in Vegas
Nope. Headed to Silverton with our own Brian McVickers to bikepack the CoTrail to Durango. I had tons of professional and personal reasons to go to Vegas, but..... I really hate trade shows. The thought of going to SEMA makes my heart sink.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
The more I think about it, the more I think the only way to see if your wife would enjoy a fatbike is to put her on one. If the light goes on...get one. If she's so-so about it, get her a full suspension 27.5 bike and call it a day. That's a super safe bet.

We are going this route...

My GF wants a bike to train on the off season here in Flagstaff...not technical stuff but mainly fireroads, mild single and double track, and the gravel trails around our house and in town.

We have been going back and forth between cyclocross, touring/gravel bikes, in betweens like the fargo, and a traditional mountain bike...but since we were picking only one bike we went with a traditional mountain bike...can still be loaded easily for overnights, much more comfortable with suspension, and flat bars are much more stable for beginners on dirt (my GF)...

So many people see fatbikes and the big tires and immediately think smooth and soft and fun to ride...like an off road cruiser...just float over everything...

My experience is the opposite...it is a lot of work to ride hard and fast...placing the front wheel is critical and there is a lot of off saddle work to make fast riding comfortable...what is fun on a fatbike is buff BMX dirt tracks, snowmobile trails, and golf courses (people have told me:ylsmoke:)...on that stuff it rips:bike_rider:
my .02

Two-Wheeled Explorer

Proceeding on...
Common knowledge: Fat-bikes are not fast-bikes. Read the review of the Surly ECR in the January issue of Bicycle Times, and the ECR only has 3-inch wide tires! (Surly Knards)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne