Propex furnace - Does it work OK at high altitude?

Stereo

Adventurer
Does the Propex furnace work consistently at high altitude? Our typical camping elevation is between 9500 and 10500 feet.

I'm looking to replace my 1980's circa Duo-Therm direct-vent 9000 btu furnace in my old Skamper. I tried cleaning everything up, put on a new sail switch, and replaced the worn gaskets, but after one good fire-up, it now sparks but will not ignite. I have cleaned out the gas line, too.

I've read about all the heating alternatives and I am considering forking over the big bucks for a Propex. Those who have them, seem to love them. I don't want the Wave 3 or Mr. Heater Buddy due to headache-inducing fumes, safety issues, and vapor buildup. I rather doubt the quality of the RV furnaces that I might find to replace what I have. I'm warm in bed under pseudo-down comforters and a hat on my head, but I want to take the chill off while hanging out before crawling under the covers, and it's also nice to heat the space a bit before crawling back out in the morning.

Thanks for letting me know if there are any issues with the Propex.

Last edited:

camper101

Observer
Yes they work at high altitude.

Make sure you get a newer (or fixed up?) one though, because there were some issues a few years back if I recall correctly. Karl at Westy Ventures could tell you better than I about that.

I've been using my HS2000 at 9K+ for a few years (it's run at least a few nights above 11K), no problems except when I got snow in the combustion intake tube.

If you want a bigger heater, you can go with the bigger Propex. I believe (but don't know personally) that the Atwood 8012 is also a decent option for less cash. I would've gotten an Atwood but didn't have enough room to install it anywhere I wanted it.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I've never really understood the need for a forced air furnace in such small spaces. I had some kind of radiant heater in my 21' British Class A motorhome and it worked fine without having to rely on battery power. Not sure of the brand but I think they are common in European motor homes.

Stereo

Adventurer
Thanks, Kerry. No power draw would be great. I do believe the Europeans are far ahead of us in many fuel technologies, but I can't tell whether this is a sealed combustion unit. On the page you provided a link to, there are no installation instructions or prices so I will be emailing the mfg. with questions. Do you know if there are there are US distributors?

kerry

Expedition Leader
Thanks, Kerry. No power draw would be great. I do believe the Europeans are far ahead of us in many fuel technologies, but I can't tell whether this is a sealed combustion unit. On the page you provided a link to, there are no installation instructions or prices so I will be emailing the mfg. with questions. Do you know if there are there are US distributors?

I couldn't find a US distributor. There is an installation video link but when I clicked on it it went to installation of a lighting kit.

kerry

Expedition Leader
They have an exhaust duct so I assume that implies they have a sealed combustion chamber.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Propex furnace should work well up to 10,000 ft.

Truma unit looks interesting. Works as a radiant heater without electrical supply. A blower fan is optional and draws 0.7 amps. Gas consumption is rated at between 0.13 and 1.06 lbs per hour for the 5004 S unit. The unit is 14.72" x 22.32", weighs 38.5 lbs. Output 6000W or 20473 BTU/hr

The Propex HS2000 uses 1.4 amps with the blower running, uses 142 grams/hr 0.313lb of propane per hour, is 12.6" long x 6.8" wide x 3.9" tall. Weight is 22 lbs. Output 6500 BTU/hr or 1905 watts

The Truma heat output seems huge, especially as the Propex HS2000 at 1905 watts will toast you out of a tent, camper, Flippac in no time. If the ratings are correct for the Truma units you would only need a Trumatic E 2400 for heating a small vehicle.

Stereo

Adventurer
The Truma is a gravity furnace

Here's a link for installation instructions for the Truma: http://www.truma.com/downloadcenter/trumatic_s_3004_3004p_5004_installation_de_gb_fr_it_nl_dk_se.pdf
As I suspected, since it doesn't require electricity, it's a gravity furnace that functions like the old Suburban furnaces used in campers in the '70's and '80's. As with the old Suburbans, the Trumas require a tall vertical vent, specifically between 1.5-3m (59-118"). Intake is through a hole in the floor. The S3002 has a 19"19" cutout for the face. The depth is about 11". The price for heater and required face looks to be a little under $500, not including the vent, shipping, or installation.

Though I've heard great things about gravity heaters, they will not work for me. I have a pop-top truck camper. I suppose some kind of a removable chimney out the back could be devised, but I'm not interested in working out a solution. I've put enough construction hours into my camper already. I just want to enjoy it. :)

Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
That's important info. I wonder if there are any European pop ups which use the Truma and how they deal with the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles