Best way to add an aux port to a factory 2.5 Infinity system? oh cheap as well

bikerjosh

Explorer
Ok, so I have the factory infinity stereo w/disc changer in back (changer not hooked up), wanting to add an aux port so I can plug in my ipod. I tried using the old school "cassette tape" wired adapter but there is a lot of static when plugging it in. Wondering if there is an easy (cheap) way to add an input or just replace the head unit. There are a number of inexpensive head units with aux inputs on the front.
thanks

Dolomiti

Adventurer
what brand tape are you using? mine just spits the tape out, forcing me to use an FM transmitter. I'm also interested in the aux port conversion.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Wrenchwench on 4x4wire solders in a headphone auxiliary jack into the tape player directly using a jack he bought at radio shack. I don't know how he did it but it sounds crystal clear. I've been meaning to bring him a radio for a write up.

plh

Explorer
I put this one in my '92: Kenwood KMM-BT308U added the Metra harness adapter. Was around $95 shipped Amazon with the harness. It is only a digital receiver, so no CD. Does have Bluetooth that integrates very good with my Samsung S4 phone. Phone calls, Pandora, digital music stored on my phone streamed via BT. Of course all my speakers were old and crispy so I replaced those too (6) with Alpine products.

nckwltn

Explorer
I just ended up replacing the head unit.

With the infinity system you'll need this adapter for plug and play operability: http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-7003...e=UTF8&qid=1409587581&sr=8-1&keywords=70-7003

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ero-Club-with-a-Gen-2-5?p=1373077#post1373077

I also threw in a switch that breaks the power to the power antenna so I can be listening to ipod/iphone and keep the antenna down. I figure this is good for the trails where I might be listening to something, but don't want the antenna to get snagged on something.

the blue wire on the 6 pin din connector needs to be tied directly to the headunit, so the amp turns on, but the blue wire for the antenna can be switched to keep the antenna from going up.

the whole thing cost around 120 bucks, bought it all at amazon. now I've got bluetooth for my iphone, and usb charging from my headunit. I'm quite happy with it.

Oh, and I removed the CD changer to free up a little space in the rear.

bikerjosh

Explorer
aux input

Thanks nckwltn, if I'm going to swap head units I need to find one with 2 sets of preamp (rca) outputs rather than the standard single set to hook up to the existing factory amp, correct?

Thanks nckwltn, if I'm going to swap head units I need to find one with 2 sets of preamp (rca) outputs rather than the standard single set to hook up to the existing factory amp, correct?

Yes. Correct. Your new head unit has to have at least front and rear preouts. This wil feed the stock amp.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I replaced the head unit with a JVC from Crutchfield. They provided the harness adapter for free. It was about $150. I am still using the existing amp, but I did replace the OEM speakers due to dry rot. Sounds okay, though lacking some bass punch.

bikerjosh

Explorer
Thanks guys, I actually ordered a JVC unit from Crutchfield last night at around 9PM, (nwoods, you must have been channeling me-:) ), with the harness adapter. Thankfully I had already pulled the driver side door panel off to figure out what I was in for when replacing window regulator next week; I noticed the driver speaker was way past toast, so I ordered some cheap 6 1/2's as well. Window regulator arrives Thursday, Stereo and speakers arrive Friday, guess I know what next weekend is all about. :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior