Pennsyltrucky: Assembling an MDT metal tent on the cheap

Gemini

Observer
Pennsyltrucky: Assembling an MDT metal tent on the cheap

Thus begins the effort. I have always had a soft spot for MDTs vs a little one. I'm not really looking for anything elaborate beyond an aluminum tent, but I'd still like to retain the ability to haul the occasional item from the store (appliances, lumber, etc.) - it's my big pick-up truck: it picks up whatever I need.

It all starts with a 16.5' Morgan 2006 GVSD Aluminum Van Body with a rear and a curbside roll-up purchased from one of my usual truck salvage yards. It appears to have been a delivery body for an office supply store. It has a some surface rust on the steel floor joists, but nothing a little sandblasting and some good paint can't fix. I will need to replace the seals on the rear door and the bottom door panel so there's no leaks. The upper body mounts will be custom fabricated and welded to the body frame, I already have a complete set of lower bolt-on brackets and springs (and the Milw frame drill for the job) for the truck frame.

The interior contains 6 fold-down parcel shelves which will make great bunks - good to 250lbs each. I will upgrade the weight limit (and safety factor) with the addition of a pair of steel supports to the floor for each pair of bunks. The driver's side bunks need to be lengthened. A few sleeping bag mats, a custom and voila! Sleeping for 6!

The floor is in good shape - sandblast and paint the floor screws and rear deck with the same epoxy paint, then sand and apply a few coats of polyurethane on the wood.

New ply will be needed for the walls with some easy-to-clean surface finish - there are no plans for insulation since the ceiling is fiberglass not metal - it's a stealth metal tent / pickup-truck not a palace.

I will ditch the fold-down floor for the curb-side door since that will be the primary access route. The rollup-door might get replaced with a new 36" wide RV door in the future.

Did I mention that I've got an 8' awning from Carefree of Colorado to install on the curbside over the door?

Add some strategic and tasteful LED lighting and it will be pretty awesome on a budget.

It all goes onto a 2001 International 4700 (single cab, air brakes, 5-speed manual, T444E, N190 4.44 Rear, 265/75R22.5 tires, twin 50gal tanks) that is in primo shape. I will end up fabricating a new custom hitch assembly with a separate pintle hook and class 4/5 receiver.

So it is a work in progress. Need to get it finished before winter.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks for showing us this project. It seems very promising, and I'll be looking forward to your work. Good luck.

Gemini

Observer
Upgrading the environmental controls

I'm not a really big fan of the big, bulky stock heater on the 4700s, plus I'd like to add A/C (I have the compressor already) in the future. So I plan on swapping in one of these when I re-do the dash:

It is NOS mil-surplus so the 24v DC blower motor needs to be changed out to a 12v DC motor. The cab and unit ductwork needs to be modified to defrost the windshield since the stock plastic is cheap looking, fades quickly and is a bear to clean. The up-side is that it's got the A/C exchanger built in, it is much smaller than stock, and it is provisioned for an input air filter.

Gemini

Observer
I just wanted to throw out this design idea for you...

If you don't plan to make a pass through from the cab to the box, then you might want to make a 16"-18" gap between the cab and the box. in the gap you could put one or 2 swing spare tire carriers, recovery tools, inboard bike storage and a stairway/ ladder to a roof rack that covers the cab & your gap storage area.

I'll make a quick electronic model of it if you are having a hard time envisioning the concept (of that is if the concept interests you).

In keeping with the dual-use (metal tent and pickup truck) and to retain the ability to easily swap it to a different chassis in the future (like a crew cab), I wasn't planning on a pass-thru.

It sounds like a great idea for the 18" space for the spares and other nicknacks. Only trouble is that after I carefully plasma off the tailgate lift and put in a new endplate for the pintle hook and class III hitch I have exactly 17' of clear frame to fit a 16.5" van body.

I was thinking of a roof rack with integrated front and side lights. You were thinking that the roof rack would cover the roof and the gap?

Gatsma

Adventurer
Well, until he gets back to you, maybe I can help! I THINK he means building (or using existing, like you) a box on a truck in a similar fashion as the super-hi-buck euro expedition trucks from Unicat, etc. which are usually built on trucks from MAN, Mercedes Unimog, etc. Only without the megabuck approach taken by the "legit" Eurotrucks. We're talking good ol' American ingenuity with waay less expensive components, but still put together right, ending up with something very usable and fairly off-roadable WITHOUT spending hundreds of thousands of our precious dollars.
Did this help you? Joaquin will probably give you a lot more detail later, but this oughtta hold you for now... unless I'm TOTALLY off course

Gatsma

Adventurer
Anybody that can morph a post-war Stude to the roof of their expo truck as "Suave" as Joaquin did, gets taken seriously for his fab abilities. His mental faculties? Well.......... ;-)

Gemini

Observer
It's truck salvage yards, auctions and closeouts for this metal tent, it's just the basics. I was pretty lucky to score the van body with the walk-up.

Gemini

Observer
Anybody that can morph a post-war Stude to the roof of their expo truck as "Suave" as Joaquin did, gets taken seriously for his fab abilities. His mental faculties? Well.......... ;-)

I've seen photos of that truck, but I will raise you a SteamFitter 4600, done by another metal artist.
(yes, that is my truck in the background)

So there's a rad bumper on the way for my truck.

Gemini

Observer
Cool truck! Even the OEM cast-spoke wheels add to the look. And yeah, do the bumper!

A shot from the opposite corner. Noet that the bed and tailgate are COMPLETELY custom. Custom running boards and steps.

It helps that he has a 4x10 deck CNC laser and a 20t Eight foot press brake in addition to mad welding skills (and the shop to house it in).

He was going for the bolt-on-fender look.

Gemini

Observer
Brackets, Brackets, Brackets

I have a set of custom body mounts fabricated up from a prior effort that I'm going to use for this project. They're slotted because of a size mismatch on the van body vs. truck frame widths. The lower mount is bolted to the frame, the top mount is welded to the van body frame and the two are separated by a piece of Apitong. The Apitong is the same thickness as the piece between the two frames. The brackets provided an option to spring-load in the future.

Since Morgan uses an I-beam vs C-Channel for their frames, a new top weld-on bracket needs to be fabricated that will interlock into the I-beam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94