more NEW from Phoenix Popup campers

haven

Expedition Leader
The above link is to an article on the Truck Camper Magazine blog about a new offering for Phoenix Popup campers. It's a pop-up camper mounted on a flatbed, with a driver side sofa slide-out and a camper-to-truck cab pass-through.

Terra Ops

Adventurer
A few people have asked that I do a build thread. Thank you TCM for doing it for me! :)
The above article is fairly thorough, but if there are any detailed questions, comments, or "what
were you thinking!", please feel free to post here or PM me.

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
^^Congrats on an awesome looking platform. I would love to see further details on both the camper and the truck.

Jack

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Most of the camper details are in the TCM article and here; http://www.phoenixpopup.com/meet-our-latest-custom-flatbed-model-camper/

One thing not mentioned is the Blue Sea charging relay- http://www.bluesea.com/products/762...rging_Relay_with_Manual_Control_-_12V_DC_500A

I have been impressed and very happy with this addition. However, I must give credit to Diplostrat for sharing this idea with me.
As for the Truck; custom made aluminum flatbed and boxes, rear bench seat converted to buckets "did this myself through local dealer", Hellwig heavy duty air bags with on board wireless controlled air compressor, sumo front shock supports with Fox 2.0 performance shocks, awaiting rear shocks "Billstein heavy duty 4600 series", and Bully Dog computer tuner.

If anybody is interested in a similar build and would like to knock around some ideas, I'd be happy to do so. It was not an easy build and hind sight is always 20/20.

Terra Ops

Adventurer
This having several "firsts" required more time and effort than initially thought. Rob greatly underestimated what it would cost to build this rig. However he stuck to his original quote even though it cost him.
The best way to understand what the actual cost of this companies custom builds are is to go to their website. Start with the base and then add whatever options you like. If your handy enough, just order the shell and build it out yourself.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
I gotta ask... could you build something similar to this but incorporate the wheel wells into the camper & no flatbed?? Basically getting the entire thing about 2 feet closer to the ground?

Amazing rig tho! Getting closer and closer to someone building the insanely awesome do it all camper!

Terra Ops

Adventurer
for the money why not just purchase an XPcamper? far superior build quality

I did look at the XP and felt it was overpriced. As mentioned previously, Rob greatly underestimated my cost. He also did things above and beyond. I think this is where the 70K comes from. This having various "firsts" required more time than initially thought.
As for superior build, maybe-maybe not. Rob was the only one willing to build this.

adam88

Explorer
It's a nice camper, but not my cup of tea at all.

One thing that perplexes me is that when the pop top is down, the interior height is 63 inches. When it is up, it is 78 inches. That's only a difference of 15 inches. Why even bother with a pop-up??? Why not just go full hard sided at that point? What can you do with those extra 15 inches that you couldn't do with a full hard side?

Terra Ops

Adventurer
15 inches makes a big difference in weight and wind drag. When the top is up and slide out, the interior is very spacious for a truck camper. So far I've seen 17 mpg @ 70 mph fully loaded with an engine that's not broken in yet.

Sorry to perplex. By the way, what is your cup of tea?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste