more NEW from Phoenix Popup campers

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Amazing in every way. Congrats.
Looking for input why you sold your tiger that was also superb for this? More space for 3 Kids?

Loved my Tiger. It was our very first RV. My family of 4 took it to the beach, mountains, and did the white rim trail in Moab. It really created some good family memories.

The main reason for selling was a matter of practicality. Just seemed like a lot of money in one vehicle and not being utilized "during school year".
After seeing a flat bed build in TCM, a light went off. I could have my Tiger and eat it too:)
The "things" I wanted different were; better insulation, I could feel the walls warm up inside the Tiger when the sun hit, exchangeable propane tank that didn't require a pit stop, camper/cab independence- the rigid design can get tiresome after a while of offroading, no generator all solar, shorter wheel base, less weight more efficiency, same footprint with more room when open.
With the camper off the truck I really enjoy it as a daily driver. Its actually getting better mileage than my wifes minivan.

Darwin

Explorer
That is a really amazing looking set up. It looks like a nice hybrid of a hard side and soft side pop camper, best of both.

I am a little confused about this though.
no generator all solar
Why no genny? I get the solar part and it seems like the way to go, but why not have both? You would still need to be plugged into shore power to run the A/C.

Darwin

Explorer
Why? I don't. Earthroamers don't. Roadtrek E-TREKS don't.
How much battery and solar do they have that allows them run the A/C without being plugged in?

Edit: never mind, don't want to hijack the OP's thread.

Last edited:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Small A/C through inverter draws about 50A DC when the compressor is running; 5-10A on fan.

Biggest pain is not the battery, but the inverter size; compressor draws about 250A when it starts.

Terra Ops

Adventurer
How much battery and solar do they have that allows them run the A/C without being plugged in?

Edit: never mind, don't want to hijack the OP's thread.

Battery and Solar is covered in the thread. Whats not mentioned are the inverters. There is a 2500 watt dedicated to the 6000 btu AC. There is another 1000 watt for every thing else.
During winter camping, I plan to see if the larger inverter will work for heat, thus sparing the propane.

haven

Expedition Leader
Welcome to ExPo, Terra Ops! It's great to see another flatbed design.

One question: Is there any problem deploying the slide when the truck is sitting on uneven ground? I'm thinking that if the camper is twisted a little, then the slide might bind up. This is an issue with some pop-up roof models, as well.

The Phoenix web page about this camper says it will be available for inspection at the Overland Expo East, OCt 3-5, in Asheville NC. I hope the camper will get full coverage for Overland Journal at that time.

haven

Expedition Leader
LovinPSDS wrote, "could you build something similar to this but incorporate the wheel wells into the camper & no flatbed?? Basically getting the entire thing about 2 feet closer to the ground?"

The space below the flatbed can be utilized. There are ways to mount heavy items like batteries, generator, and water storage below the flatbed. So just because the camper base is higher, the center of gravity of the truck doesn't have to be higher.

It all depends on how easily you want to be able to remove the camper from the truck. In this case, it looks like the truck and camper are intended to be permanently joined together.

Oh, and the height difference of a flatbed is more like 9 to 12 inches, not 24 inches.

Flatbeds allow more storage space. The best comment I read about this was on an RV.Net forum. "Avion 69" wrote, "...
the more space that you have, the more junk you will bring." So you have to be careful with the weight you're asking your rear axle to carry.

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Welcome to ExPo, Terra Ops! It's great to see another flatbed design.

One question: Is there any problem deploying the slide when the truck is sitting on uneven ground? I'm thinking that if the camper is twisted a little, then the slide might bind up. This is an issue with some pop-up roof models, as well.

The Phoenix web page about this camper says it will be available for inspection at the Overland Expo East, OCt 3-5, in Asheville NC. I hope the camper will get full coverage for Overland Journal at that time.

No issues with it binding. Could be in part to the fact I always level up when camping. Also the flatbed being welded directly to the frame does not allow any give.
"In this case, it looks like the truck and camper are intended to be permanently joined together." Key word here is looks :) Intention was/is to be detachable.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
I never realized Phoenix had a chassis mount option also... Still very very cool setup! Now gotta put the door on the rear and slides on both sides!:sombrero: Make for a big roomy popup for the whole family while still being able to mount on a 1-ton.

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Porpoising update: Initially I had hoped that the new suspension of the 2014 Ram 2500 would suffice for this build. I was wrong. While there was no sway like that of my 2012 Ram 3500, I had a very annoying bobbing effect known as porpoising. Going over segmented road and dips would cause the cab over to practically hit the roof of the truck.
I knew I would need some support for the weight and went initially with Timbrens for the rear. They helped keep it level but they are basically solid rubber and provide little cushion.
So I did as before with my Tiger. Sumo's on the front and Hellwig air springs on the rear. Also replaced the factory 20 inch rims with 18's but retaining the same tire diameter for added cushion. Big difference, but still same issue. Next was the shocks. This being a new model, product is a little delayed in hitting the market. My preference was Bilstein heavy duty shocks, but they were not available. Fox had only the front available, so I got them. Finally bilstein came out with the rear and I got those. They mad a difference but still no satisfaction. I had been using a block of foam between the camper and cab and hoped with all the additions it would not be needed. Our last trip demonstrated how the foam over time loses its resiliency and will eventually blow out of position.
While the foam proves satisfactory, it looks like !^%$. Now I have cab over struts on order from Lance. This surely should solve the issue.
Note: When buying airsprings, the manufacturer recommends regular inflation check. I think its worth the money to purchase the on board wireless compressor. Just make sure you have a place to mount that protects it from the elements. I put mine in the floor storage compartment.
004.jpg
Also, with the cabover, my satellite antenna can not receive. Does anybody have a solution for this?

MYTACO

Adventurer
Terra Ops. My satellite antenna didn't work with my Phoenix either. I check some items out and also went to an after market electronics store. There are splitters that allow you to put two antennas up. Keeping your old one on truck and a second on the front corner of the windshield. I also asked about putting it on the camper, but with a detachable cord. That can be done too. Estimate here in San Antonio was $150. I haven't done it yet so can't tell you if it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terra Ops

Adventurer
I assume the splitter requires locating the antenna wire under the hood?
I wonder if any type of clip on is available or wireless extender?
Any links would be appreciated :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94