iPhone 6 and 6 Plus

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I am an iPhone fan and user, but I have to admit that Samsung kicked Apple's bee-hind with this one:

attachment.php

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I saw a funny article yesterday that had me chuckling. It was on MacRumors or Re/Code or one of those sites. It offered an 'indepth analysis of the iPhone 6+ bending issue". The article consisted of one line of prose:

"It turns out, that if you bend your iPhone, it will bend."

LOL

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's a plausible explanation for the bendable iPhone 6 Plus. They say there's a poorly designed reinforcement behind the volume control, so the case is vulnerable if you put your thumb right under that location and push up with considerable force. http://imgur.com/a/FBegH

Sounds like bending the phone requires a "perfect storm" of conditions to make it happen. Of course, now every 12 year old in the country will be trying to bend his parent's new phone.

A reporter for The Next Web learned that replacement of a damaged phone under warranty is a judgement call made by staff at the Apple store. The guideline is

“The iPhone warranty covers failures caused solely by manufacturing defects” and “Catastrophic damage caused by abuse...is not serviceable.”

So it remains to be seen how Apple will address the "bent phone" issue. Here's the link
http://thenextweb.com/apple/2014/09...sual-inspection-qualify-warranty-replacement/

Mad Matt

Adventurer
Most interesting post about the iPhone 6 Plus
"it's hard to see why anyone would want an iPad mini if they have this larger iPhone."
http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/9/6124931/apple-iphone-6-plus-hands-on-video-photos-5-5

Here's a comparison. Assume you want a portable tablet with LTE data service and GPS.

iPhone 6 Plus
6.22 x 3.06 x 0.28 inches
6.07 ounces
5.5 inch display, 1920x1080 resolution (16:9 aspect ratio), 401 ppi
64 GB model costs $399 with two year service contract, or $849 without contract

iPad Mini with Retina Display
7.87 x 5.3 x 0.29 inches
12 ounces
7.9 inch display, 2048x1536 resolution (4:3 aspect ratio), 326 ppi
64 GB storage, WiFi+ Cellular $729 without contract

Of course, the Mini with Retina Display does not offer traditional phone service
while the iPhone 6 Plus does.

The 6 Plus has a faster processor, improved camera, NFC payment possibility, and Touch ID
I assume these features will appear in the next generation iPad Mini, which will likely be announced
this Fall. Will the next gen iPad Mini price go up a bit? I think it’s likely.

So which tablet appeals to you? The 5.5 inch iPhone 6 Plus or the 7.9 inch iPad Mini?

This is exactly what I was thinking. I cannot afford to upgrade my 1st Gen 32GB 3G iPad, but an 6+ just might work.

robgendreau

Explorer
I was in a similar situation. I'm running out of space on my iPhone, and ditto for an iPad. I had budgeted for a new iPhone, and was strongly considering the 6+. Until I tried it in the store. For me, it's like the reviewer who said both too small and too big.

Another consideration is that Minis are NOT like big iPhones in a couple of ways. Obviously, they aren't phones in that even with a SIM card they are data only. A huge problem with Minis is that if you don't get one with cellular data (like you already have another device with tethering, or just don't need it) then you are SOL for navigation because they don't have GPS. Furthermore, the 6+ cannot use the camera connection kit, so you can't even copy photos from your camera without wifi, which is too slow anyway for bulk transfer. Meh.

My solution was to stick with the iPhone I had. But to offload some of what I used it for, like navigation, to another device. So I got a Samsung Tab Pro 8.4". It was a third of the cost of the Mini retina Haven cited, has GPS, no cellular (don't need it), a better screen, internal micro SD storage, a USB port (I can use SD cards, keyboards, HDMI and even ethernet through it), and is about the same size. Not quite as fast, 16:10 aspect (some like that better, some don't). No NFC and payment. A benefit is Android; there are some OBDII and nav apps that are Android only that I can now use. And it works with BT GPS dongles I had that don't work with iOS.

I find the Mini (or any 7" or 8") format way better than the bigger iPad I had, especially since the screens have gotten much better. Easier to stow, handle and view, at least for me.

So if your need for the 6+ was based in part on the need for a bigger screen, consider the smaller tablets. There are also some Windows tablets in this size for amazing prices. And just use it in addition to your existing kit, rather than trying to get a one size fits all that might turn out to be a one size fits nothing.

4x4tripping

Adventurer
-
I use the iPhone6 plus now since a while. It is big yes, but it is on to replace too my iPad.
-
Also in the evening on the couch, I start to use more the iPhone than my iPad Air.
-
A good size for road navigation with apps like Navigon or TomTom, too a "just ok" size for track navigation with offline satellite images view - within motionX. I just need something to mount it to the car, like my Ram-Mount for the iPad.
-
I didnt use it in one hand, also with the iPhone5s i usually use one hand to carry and the other for using the touchscreen.
-
You should definetively try it out - bevore you buy - so find a good size for your need. My Girlfriend at sample, don`t want the iPhone6 or iPhone 6 plus - both are to big for her.
-
The Picture Quality of the iPhone6 plus is amazing: i did upload some pictures of the Octoberfest in munich, germany
-
4x4tripping

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles