iPhone 6 and 6 Plus

haven

Expedition Leader
Most interesting post about the iPhone 6 Plus
"it's hard to see why anyone would want an iPad mini if they have this larger iPhone."
http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/9/6124931/apple-iphone-6-plus-hands-on-video-photos-5-5

Here's a comparison. Assume you want a portable tablet with LTE data service and GPS.

iPhone 6 Plus
6.22 x 3.06 x 0.28 inches
6.07 ounces
5.5 inch display, 1920x1080 resolution (16:9 aspect ratio), 401 ppi
64 GB model costs $399 with two year service contract, or $849 without contract

iPad Mini with Retina Display
7.87 x 5.3 x 0.29 inches
12 ounces
7.9 inch display, 2048x1536 resolution (4:3 aspect ratio), 326 ppi
64 GB storage, WiFi+ Cellular $729 without contract

Of course, the Mini with Retina Display does not offer traditional phone service
while the iPhone 6 Plus does.

The 6 Plus has a faster processor, improved camera, NFC payment possibility, and Touch ID
I assume these features will appear in the next generation iPad Mini, which will likely be announced
this Fall. Will the next gen iPad Mini price go up a bit? I think it's likely.

So which tablet appeals to you? The 5.5 inch iPhone 6 Plus or the 7.9 inch iPad Mini?

robgendreau

Explorer
Yeah, wristwatches became popular as clocks miniaturized and folks needed something, like on horseback, they didn't have to pull from a pocket. But pocket watches stayed popular for quite a while. Indeed, the smartphone pocket watch supplanted wristwatches again in the recent decade; lots of kids would never wear a wristwatch. So why is Apple going retro? They won't ever compete with existing sports or outdoor watches, why such an old wheeze?

Re iPhones, the 6+ has a barometer, which might be handy.

mikelite80

Adventurer
I'd just like to point out the iCloud hack wasn't really a hack. It was a social engineering "hack". Weak passwords and easy to figure out emails used for backups. So you can't say it was apple's fault.

I'm going iPhone 6. The plus is just way to big to live in my pocket. I'm not in the big phone band wagon.

abruzzi

Adventurer
I'm sad. I have a iPhone 5S, and in my opinion it is already too big. The 3.5" screen on previous iPhones was perfect, but I really don't want to carry a 4.6" monstrosity. For now I'll be fine, but the 7 and 8 come out, and push the 5S and 5C out of production, will Apple keep a small phone around for those of us that use our phone single handed?

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I'd just like to point out the iCloud hack wasn't really a hack. It was a social engineering "hack". Weak passwords and easy to figure out emails used for backups. So you can't say it was apple's fault.

Argh

Not only is Apple storing data on Chinese goverment systems, consider the following:

Apple's iCloud iConundrum - does convenience mean insecurity?

"........Last week at the Hack in The Box conference in Malaysia, researcher Vladimir Katalov made some rather bold claims about the security of Apple's iCloud backups and iCloud document storage........

In his talk, "Cracking and Analyzing Apple's iCloud Protocols", Katalov showed how Apple's optional two-factor authentication is selective in its application, even where it is available......

Passwords are just too vulnerable and unfortunately two-factor has become the bare minimum for cloud services if you don't want others accessing your information.......

What Katalov discovered is that iCloud backups and iCloud documents are not protected by the two-factor system and that they are stored on Microsoft Azure and Amazon AWS cloud services.

Additionally, while the files are stored encrypted, the encryption keys are stored with the files. . . rendering the encryption largely worthless. .......

Katalov demonstrated that by simply acquiring the Apple ID and password of another user, whether they have enabled two-factor authentication or not, he can download their iPhone/iPad/iPod backups and documents from iCloud and see their pictures, music, emails, contacts, documents, presentations, spreadsheets or anything else without the victim being alerted.

Most users likely assume that by enabling two-factor authentication they are protecting their iCloud data from being stolen if their password is guessed, get infected with a keylogger or are phished. That is true for making an App Store purchase, but all bets are off for iCloud..........

Katalov's research shows that Apple has only half implemented their two-factor technology and has chosen convenience over actual security.........

Apple's marketing position that "It wasn't us" is intended for damage control

haven

Expedition Leader
Pre-orders for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus started at midnight last night. The demand caused servers to crash and networks to overload at Apple and the cell phone companies that will carry the 6. By morning, the 6 Plus was "sold out" and the 6 had received "unprecedented" pre-orders. (Apple's words.) And that's with the products being available in only 8 countries. Apple plans to open pre-orders for many other countries on Sept. 26.

Update: Apple fans ordered 4 million new iPhones during the first 24 hours. When the iPhone 5 was introduced, the 24 hour number was a mere 2 million.

iphone_6_troll_main_article_1_1410422913_540x540.jpg

mikelite80

Adventurer
Just cause someone did it first doesn't mean it was done well.

I'm a fan boy but also familiar with many other devices. There are features of android I wish apple would allow, but I enjoy an eco-system that for the most parts works well together. Android has problems with fragmentation and carrier control. If you are going android the only way to go is with a pure android with a device "from" google. Don't say you can root the device. I'm not going to try to walk my parents thru rooting a device.

mikelite80

Adventurer
Apple is storing Chinese user's data in China. They aren't shipping your data off to China. You should be more worried about Facebook.

No where in that article does it say that servers were hack. "acquiring the Apple ID and password of another user" is a social engineering hack. This is a wide spread problem with internet data in general. How many people use the same password on EVERY website? How many people here use an email with their name in it? Is Apple's system perfect, no. Are they working to improve it and create better systems, yes. Two factor authentication is only few years old and cloud storage (as we know it now) just a bit longer. Want to be sure your data is safe, then store it at home.

If you want to be safe use WAY stronger passwords, different on every site. Also use an email that doesn't contain your name. This should be a learning and teaching moment, not a bashing any company. Educate the masses on security.

Also if you are famous....don't store naked pictures on your phone!!!!! DUH! If someone has the physical device there isn't much you can do to keep your info safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94