iPhone 6 and 6 Plus

haven

Expedition Leader
Apple is scheduled to announce its next iPhone on Sept 9. That gives us a week to speculate about what new hardware, software and services might be offered.

I'll go first:

iPhone 6 rumors

two form factors:
4.7 inch screen, delivered in late Sept
estimated 1704 x 960 screen pixels, 416 ppi (many observers)
or perhaps 1334 × 750, 326 PPI (J Gruber)
increase from iPhone 5S 1136x640, 326 ppi in both dimensions
same 16:9 aspect ratio as current iPhone 5S, maybe sharper

5.5 inch screen, delivered later in Fall
maybe same pixel count, 1704 x 960, 365 ppi (many)
or 2208 × 1242, 461 PPI (J Gruber)

But what about Full HD for movies, 1920x1080, common on Android phones?
maybe the 5.5 inch screen will use the 2048x1536 pixel resolution of the iPad line
and use the 4x3 screen aspect ratio of the iPad, rather than narrow 16:9 iPhone screen

so the 5.5 inch model would be an "iPad Micro” more than an iPhone
maybe this will be the first iPad to have the ability to make phone calls

Sapphire crystal protective screen
tougher and more scratch-resistant than glass
currently used in Apple’s camera lens outer layer and the iPhone 5S fingerprint scanner
may be too expensive for phone screen, but not for “iWatch” wrist computer
or maybe Apple will charge a hefty premium for the more durable screen

A8 processor
faster and more energy efficient than A7 used in the iPhone 5s
so a battery of the size used in the iPhone 5S will offer similar runtime in the iPhone 6,
despite the larger screen

iWatch or some sort of wearable health monitoring gizmo

iOS 8
improved linkage betweeen iPhone, iPad and desktop Macs
improved connections and file sharing between apps, including 3rd party apps
improved access to camera settings for 3rd party apps
“family” support: separate books, apps, games, movies, iTunes
automatic Family sharing for Photo Stream, Calendar (if desired)

Health app may be adopted by health providers
http://www.forbes.com/sites/haydnsh...he-revolution-hidden-in-the-apple-health-kit/

Photos app
iCloud photo library, can store RAW format
smart seach and smart suggestion helps you find photos (replaces Aperture)
manually adjust brightness, contrast, exposure, highlights, shadows, colors

Camera app
new time-lapse mode, improved composition tools

some sort of NFS wireless payment system, partners with AmEx, Mastercard, Visa

iCloud storage for all sorts of files
5 GB free, 20 GB for $12/year, 200 GB for $48/year; larger plans available
(this looks expensive compared to other offerings)

the highly publicized recent hack of iCloud and theft of photos puts the notion of using
iCloud as a repository of personal financial and health information under scrutiny

haven

Expedition Leader
What about the current iPhone line? The iPhone 5C will continue as a lower cost model in some countries. The 5S will become the entry level phone in USA.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Apple losing market share
Smartphone app adoption declining
Cloud is NOT secure
For Apple, Google and Facebook - YOU are the product. They will sell you vs. protect your privacy.

Lipstick on a pig

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I'm still not in love with the bigger screen trend.

With the current screen size, I can barely reach the top/left corner with my thumb. Since the icons are all indexed off of that corner, I would lose one-handed operation of the touch screen.

zelatore

Explorer
I'm still not in love with the bigger screen trend.

With the current screen size, I can barely reach the top/left corner with my thumb. Since the icons are all indexed off of that corner, I would lose one-handed operation of the touch screen.

One of the main reasons I moved away from an iPhone a few years ago (3S) was to get a bigger screen. I use my phone at least partially as a web browser and the tiny screen was killing its usefulness. Still, I have no need to update phones at this point. I'm running a Galaxy S4 now and it's more than I'll ever use anyway.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
I always find it amusing how many folks get into "serious" discussions about a product that has not even been announced yet. Debating pros and cons and making decisions based on rumour and internet driven hype. We truly live among sheep, don't we?

haven

Expedition Leader
I found the iPhone 5 onscreen keyboard to be a little small for my fat fingers. My Galaxy S4 is a little too large in my hand, and a little uncomfortable to carry in my pocket. So I'm looking forward to trying the 4.7 inch size.

96Delica

Adventurer
I always find it amusing how many folks get into "serious" discussions about a product that has not even been announced yet. Debating pros and cons and making decisions based on rumour and internet driven hype. We truly live among sheep, don't we?
Baaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

In all seriousness, I'll be getting the smaller 6. As long as there's a huge difference between the 5s though. I would like a bigger screen and more memory. My 8gb iPhone 4 isn't cutting the mustard anymore.

Xrunner

Explorer
I'm hoping the iPhone 6 release causes the 5S to drop in price again, giving me a good reason to upgrade my iPhone 4.

Can you tell the latest and greatest and I don't usually play well together? :D

jerdog53

Explorer
I have the 5 and I think its screen is plenty big enough and I sure am disappointed in the battery life!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I have the 5 and I think its screen is plenty big enough and I sure am disappointed in the battery life!

The battery life does pretty much suck once you're a year or so in.

Apple is replacing some batteries at no cost - but my phone doesn't qualify. Go figure.

mpinco

Expedition Leader

Speaking of sheep ...........

The Comprehensive App Economics Blog 2014 - Yes Peak App is apt name - Sheer disaster industry with only one sector making money

"............The apps ecosystem employs 2.1 million developers globally and will make 35 Billion dollars in revenues this year. Thats up 67% from last year. Apps already are bigger than the global music industry and this year the apps economy becomes larger than total cinema box office revenues worldwide. Smartphone users now spend over 2 hours on apps every day. So isn’t this an awesome eldorado of a business opportunity? No. While all that is true, the business of smartphone apps is a total disaster. .........

............There is some good news. Some companies do actually make money and even profits in this struggling industry. But lets be very clear. When total developer-revenues (after Apple or Google has taken its cut) are divided by total apps in circulation, we get an average earned revenue of 5,250 US dollars per app that exists. Thats pretty pathetic when the average app development costs are about 25,000 dollars. When we remove the ‘zombie’ apps (ones that have been abandoned by their developer and aren’t updated anymore) then for currently supported ‘modern’ apps the average revenue per live app is $17,500. That sounds pretty good doesn’t it as everyone can't be a winner. Or is it? ..........

.........3.8% of smartphone app developers are able to turn some profit. Yes over 96% of smartphone app developers lose money on the project. Only 1.3% of developers have a hit product. This is essentially 10 times worse than normal hits businesses. Your chances of success are nearly as bad as 1 in 100. You are better off learning to rap or writing a book.........

........So yes, we use Facebook many times per day. But 85% of downloaded apps are deleted after one use. Of the 11 apps that remain, and the apps on our phone that we actually use, the average app gets less than one use per day. 0.5 uses per day. Or the average app that didn’t get deleted, is used only 14 times per month. This is the average across the total smartphone user base. ........

In summary, a phone only needs 10-12 apps. So do "smartphones" slowly become today's dumbphones as they become an appliance? Probably. Price point for this trajectory? $00.00

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94