Overlanding an LJ

LowBudget

GPS Man
So I've got an early 06 LJ.

You know, the old timey one that so many people say you cant overland in because its not a 4-door JK. Or because its not a Defender, even though the wheelbase is pretty much the same. I know, I know its nowhere near a Defender, I'm just kidding...I like JK's, and Defenders, BTW. I just don't have one so don't get your panties in a wad. I digress.

Its what I've got so its what I overland in. Hoping to do more over the next few years. I bought it new and I'm knocking on 80k miles' door. Its bone stock (non-rubi) drive line with a RE superflex 3.5" and 33x10.5's, auto, soft top, full steel doors.

My questions are: Do any of you have ingenious mods that YOU have made to your LJ that you are exceptionally proud of? I'm not talking kits, I can operate the internet. Most importantly, what electrical/mechanical issues have you had whilst overlanding in your beloved LJ? What drive line spares do you carry on a trip? What of those spares have you had to use? Drive shafts? U-joints? Sensors? Whats the longest trip you have taken with your LJ? Did you sell it when you got home? Where does your dog go? Will your wife go with you? Does she still like you?? Do JK dudes not wave at you either? What has actually broken and left you on the side of the road with the hood up? What should I be thinking about replacing, now that I am close to 80k mi? There aren't a whole lot of us rolling around in these. I would like to know your experience. I would also like to know if you are close to where I am. If you are in the Nashville area, where in the heck do you go????? Most everything here is Pay-To-Break OHV parks. Your input is greatly anticipated.

Thanks

JMichaelsJeep

GaiaExplorer
I am in an LJ rubicon that I am building for over landing.....I don't have a lot of custom mods, but do have a couple in mind :). Btw I'm in Maryland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

camodog

Adventurer
There are too many jeeps in Colorado. I stopped waving because I hardly ever got a response. Nothing from CJs YJs TJs LJs JKs, no one. it became disheartening.
Its very similar on my motorcycle, maybe Colorado riders and drivers are too snooty or whatever but it's weird how other bikers don't acknowledge you. Maybe its because I am usually on the V-Strom, and the majority of riders here are on Big Bad *** Hogs or sportbike squids riding in shorts, wifebeaters, and backwards hats.

Anyways, my two dogs ride in the backseat (they are small) my wife rides shotgun and she loves it.

tweenerlj

Adventurer
So I've got an early 06 LJ.

My questions are: Do any of you have ingenious mods that YOU have made to your LJ that you are exceptionally proud of?

Here is the first custom mod that I really love, a tool/recovery gear storage system:

DSC_4600_zps0ba67f4b.jpg

Build thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/90170-LJ-Cargo-Area-Drawer-Build

Next would be my JK seatback:

3F79E09E-0BA0-41D5-B449-F89EBAE8DB5A_zpsvkzndtax.jpg

Build thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/119472-JK-Rear-seat-back-in-a-LJ

The problem with my storage bins is that it raised my deck such that I have to unzip the soft-top rear window every time I want in my cooler, so I made this:

Here is a link to more specs on my LJ: http://nm4w.org/rigs/?tr_id=2

Most importantly, what electrical/mechanical issues have you had whilst overlanding in your beloved LJ?

Let's see, My rear locker decided it no longer wanted to be selectable and locked up like a spool. I tore the track bar mount off the axle tube recently. The planetary assembly in my Klune-V wore out probably due to allowing it to spin up too fast (user error)

What drive line spares do you carry on a trip? What of those spares have you had to use? Drive shafts? U-joints? Sensors?

I must admit that I do mostly day trips rather than long overlanding stuff, or we drag the Jeep behind the RV and set up a base camp and then do day outings. I carry (in the RV) the stock steering, U-joints, and a spare rear axleshaft, none of which I have ever had to use so far when out and about.

Whats the longest trip you have taken with your LJ? Did you sell it when you got home?

In terms of seat time in the Jeep, it would have to be a 15 hour local day trip. A second would be an overnighter done when borrowing a trailer from a fellow club member

DSC_3151-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Where does your dog go?

No dog.

Will your wife go with you? Does she still like you??

Yes! we make it a family affair along with our two daughters.

Do JK dudes not wave at you either?

Mixed results

What has actually broken and left you on the side of the road with the hood up?

So far, I have always made it back to base camp/home on my own. The track bar incident mentioned above was the near miss where we got creative with ratchet straps to limp back to base camp and re-welded. Since then, a friend of mine has made up a trail welder that would have been nice. Here is his build thread on that: http://www.nmoffroad.com/forumvb/showthread.php?t=18664 The key for me is to not go alone. Usually, even in a small group, collectively we all have what is needed to solve most any problem we have encountered to date.

What should I be thinking about replacing, now that I am close to 80k mi?

I can't help much there as I only have ~25K hard miles on my ticker. All that I have replaced besides fluids are the cheap OEM spark plugs.

There aren't a whole lot of us rolling around in these. I would like to know your experience. I would also like to know if you are close to where I am. If you are in the Nashville area, where in the heck do you go????? Most everything here is Pay-To-Break OHV parks. Your input is greatly anticipated.

Thanks

I am very fortunate to live in the southwest where I am 1 day drive or less to some of the most notable 4WD opportunities known in our country. However, it is a constant battle to keep what we have and that is why I am a board member for the New Mexico Off Highway Vehicle Alliance and support BRC and UFWDA.

Have fun with that LJ, it is a great platform!

Ryan Matthes

Adventurer and Explorer
I think the LJ is a fantastic platform for Overlanding personally. Shorter WB, narrower, crazy capable...

I am on my second version of a rear storage drawer and cargo retention platform. This is a must in my opinion. I am starting version 2 of my roof platform this weekend. Also a must if you have someone sitting in the back seat (mine is a 2 year old) and you aren't planning on a trailer.

DSC_0013.jpgDSC_0005.jpgDSC_0006.jpgDSC_0012.jpgIMG_0011_2.jpgIMG_0048_2.jpg

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
I recently sold my beloved LJ but there were very few things I hadn't done to it. I have lots of pics in my albums under my profile. and I'll try to find some links associated with it. perhaps I'm foolhearty but I never carried spare anything other than fuses and a tire. If you build it right and drive it within its limits you shouldn't really break anything.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/125658-My-2006-LJOE

Last edited:

tweenerlj

Adventurer
Do you have a write up on this? Love my soft top but hate that rear window.

I didn't take many pictures as I was building it. I will be making another one for my brother-in-law before winter sets in and will try to remember to take pictures for a write up.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
IMO LJ's are some of the best jeeps ever made...

"People", by and large are none too bright... by the very nature of the fact that you are driving it, living out of it, exploring new places, does that not make it an "Expo vehicle"??? Isn't it the TRIP that makes it an "Expedition" rather then the vehicle you do it in??? I've heard the same thing said about my 1st Gen 4Runner and it's seen more trail miles/trips and significantly longer self-supported intervals then most JKU's out on the road. "Expedition/Overland", like many kitch words get over used and become kind of meaningless at times ('bushcraft", "Tactical" and "Survival" all come to mind these days too :rolleyes: ) so...

Enjoy your great LJ and ignore "people" ;)

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
I have to agree. Not becaue I'm biased but because I've heard time and again from complete strangers that the LJ was the last "real Jeep". Not to take away from the JK, which is a great and capable platform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier