2015 discovery sport

umbertob

Adventurer
And they hiered the ****iest commercial producers really rreally what are they showing in this commercial a bicycle rack and a roof box and that back road they call it offroad ,this should replace the Lr2 not the discovery ,i will be surprized that the lr2 will look like a Minivan
In case it wasn't abundantly clear, the Discovery Sport IS the LR2 replacement. It is a compact crossover, nothing more, nothing less. It has pretty much the same off-roading capabilities the LR2 has - basic capabilities at best, although still better than its direct competitors from BMW, Audi, Acura, etc. The Discovery Sport is not the LR3, LR4, Disco1 or Disco2 replacement. That vehicle will come too, probably not until late next year though.

94Discovery

Adventurer
In case it wasn't abundantly clear, the Discovery Sport IS the LR2 replacement. It is a compact crossover, nothing more, nothing less. It has pretty much the same off-roading capabilities the LR2 has - basic capabilities at best, although still better than its direct competitors from BMW, Audi, Acura, etc. The Discovery Sport is not the LR3, LR4, Disco1 or Disco2 replacement. That vehicle will come too, probably not until late next year though.
I hope so but why use the name ?

umbertob

Adventurer
Same reason they used the Range Rover name for the RR Sport and the RR Evoque, to identify a family of vehicles. The Discovery family will include the "little" Sport here, and a couple of new, larger models that will eventually replace the current Disco/LR4. Think of the Discovery Sport as the "family-friendly" equivalent of Range Rover Evoque in the Range Rover family, smaller and cheaper than its big brothers, and much more at home on pavement than in the dirt.

Mack73

Adventurer
Lets just clear this up for everyone
3 families of vehicles: Luxury = Range Rover, Leisure = Discovery, Dual Purpose = Defender.
Discovery and Defender are now more than just models - they are model families.
The Discovery Sport is the first in the family of "Discovery". It is not the LR4 replacement
photo-2_0.jpg

article-2229044-15E21C92000005DC-266_964x1146.jpg

JimBiram

Adventurer
While I usually like the "don't fix it if it ain't broke" philosophy, if we always followed that we wouldn't have the iPad, the IPhone, Gps's, etc., all things that have not only improved our lives, but also the offroad experience. I applaud LR for their creativity, and willingness to push the envelope, while also keeping an eye on the economics of their business. Let's face it, only 5% of LR owners actually offroad or overland their vehicles, yet nearly all are capable of it. That's is to be applauded, along with their move to embrace the sense of adventure we all seek. Are they selling the sizzle with the steak, YES! The sizzle sounds good and the steak tastes great, new seasonings and all. I'm looking forward to the future of LR vehicles with excitement.

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
While I usually like the "don't fix it if it ain't broke" philosophy, if we always followed that we wouldn't have the iPad, the IPhone, Gps's, etc., all things that have not only improved our lives, but also the offroad experience. I applaud LR for their creativity, and willingness to push the envelope, while also keeping an eye on the economics of their business. Let's face it, only 5% of LR owners actually offroad or overland their vehicles, yet nearly all are capable of it. That's is to be applauded, along with their move to embrace the sense of adventure we all seek. Are they selling the sizzle with the steak, YES! The sizzle sounds good and the steak tastes great, new seasonings and all. I'm looking forward to the future of LR vehicles with excitement.

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The "sizzle" and the "taste" all depend on the new Defender if and when it's existence or nonexistence actually surfaces. That will tell if Land Rover still deserves the "Land" in it's name. I'm an old fashioned guy/dinosaur and like old fashioned things. Extreme HP and extreme electronic gizmos and extreme pavement manners give me no "sizzle".

roverandom

Adventurer
I haven't been excited about any new LR product since the Tata takeover.

I have watch them kill the G4. Take style over substance. Invest heavily in road orientated vehicles and high dollar image all in the name of smart "business".

optimusprime

Proffessional daydreamer.
The introduction of the first generation Discovery was the biggest changed in the future of Land Rover. They couldn't compete with the likes of Toyota/Nissan/Mitsubishi etc in the basic 4X4 class ( remember at the time,it was part of the Rover group,so had to compete with the car division for design and engineering budgets)
They moved the Range Rover further upmarket,a market with very little competition at that time.
The discovery was to fill the gap left behind by the RaRO,and it took off big time over here..... Yes we now know about rust ect,hindsight is a wonderful thing ......

The defender costs more to make than they could sell if for,it is very labour intensive, and it's legislation that's now killed it off, occupant safety,pedestrian safety,emissions,fuel economy .... These are the watch words nowadays .........

optimusprime

Proffessional daydreamer.
I haven't been excited about any new LR product since the Tata takeover.

I have watch them kill the G4. Take style over substance. Invest heavily in road orientated vehicles and high dollar image all in the name of smart "business".

Completely agree.
It's just another high profile brand to make money from.

xCSx

Adventurer
Lets just clear this up for everyone
3 families of vehicles: Luxury = Range Rover, Leisure = Discovery, Dual Purpose = Defender.
Discovery and Defender are now more than just models - they are model families.
The Discovery Sport is the first in the family of "Discovery". It is not the LR4 replacement
photo-2_0.jpg

article-2229044-15E21C92000005DC-266_964x1146.jpg

This is outdated for the defender series imo.

Again and again just look at what JEEP is doing - look at the current wrangler, why can't they make a defender that is up to date yet still looks like a defender... jeep did it

roverandom

Adventurer
The introduction of the first generation Discovery was the biggest changed in the future of Land Rover. They couldn't compete with the likes of Toyota/Nissan/Mitsubishi etc in the basic 4X4 class ( remember at the time,it was part of the Rover group,so had to compete with the car division for design and engineering budgets)
They moved the Range Rover further upmarket,a market with very little competition at that time.
The discovery was to fill the gap left behind by the RaRO,and it took off big time over here..... Yes we now know about rust ect,hindsight is a wonderful thing ......

The defender costs more to make than they could sell if for,it is very labour intensive, and it's legislation that's now killed it off, occupant safety,pedestrian safety,emissions,fuel economy .... These are the watch words nowadays .........

Seen this argument before. The Utility Land Rovers deserves to make a loss for its owners. Each successive owner has done the bare minimum since 1958 to keep it in production.

Range Rover and Discovery were both introduced in North America with massive domestic and Japanese competition. Every single major player in the NA market had at least one SUV in various trim levels in 87 and 94. At the time of their release the Land Rover products were already dated, smaller, less powerful and significantly more expensive. Add to this a small dealer network and crap build quality and its s wonder LR survived at all.

They don't sell Defenders here because they don't want to.

The old BS arguments about "safety" or "can't play in Jeeps back yard" or "too expensive to build" or even "lack of demand" is just wrong.

Land Rover, stop messing about with status symbols, spend some money on development for the Defender and get them on the dealer lots already. LR got their start as a luxury car manufacturer making utility vehicles. By 1952 Land-Rover out sold Rover cars by a significant number. Time for a return to utility vehicles.

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
You guys are leaving out the fact that the company is making more money than ever. Literally smashing records. So they should just stop, fall on their sword, and choose to go bankrupt (again) by producing leaky, slow, narrow market appeal 4x4s? Give me a break.

I love the vintage models as much or more than anyone, but I am also a businessperson so it's impossible for me to ignore the success the brand has had in the last 5 years.

JLRprofit.JPG
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_Land_Rover

"Tata Motors has reported a big jump in profits thanks to strong sales at its Jaguar Land Rover business.

Net profits at India's biggest carmaker tripled to 53.98bn rupees ($882m; £525m) in the three months to the end of June, far more than analysts had expected. Revenue grew by almost 40%.

Retail sales at Jaguar Land Rover rose by 22% over the period."

from http://www.bbc.com/news/business-28743111

Last edited:

brickpaul65

Adventurer
Yep. I don't think anyone in this thread would do any different. Land Rover is a company. Profits matter. So it stands to reason they want to sell cars to as many people they can. Hopefully they maintain capable vehicles. My LR3 is as capable as I need it to be.

roverandom

Adventurer
Land Rover has always made money for its owners but its only recently (starting with BMW) they have seen any serious investment.

2012 LR sold its 1 000,000 Discovery of all generations. About a month later Jeep sold its 1 000,000 JK. That's just The JK from 2007-2012.

Luxury vehicles are high profit no doubt but low volume.

Better to sell more lower profit vehicles than a few high profit units. If you bother to look every major OEM makes their bread and butter this way.

So while more variations of $80,000-$100,000 Range Rovers is initially impressive on quarterly profit statements it has a limited future. If not so Rolls Royce would be the world #1 car maker and not Toyota.

Blueboy

Adventurer
What bothers me about Land Rover as a company is their lack of support for the older vehicles.

Look at Mercedes - they have an entire factory supported business called MB Classic.

They embrace their history.

Porsche the same and called Porsche Classic.

This sums their philosophy:
"A deep relationship simply cannot be maintained through fleeting contact.

Porsche Classic. Care, restoration, original parts and technical literature."

Both companies have evolved like LR and have gone more upscale, yet, unlike LR who just shows pictures of past vehicles (and on occasion rolls out something from the Heritage) they really support their customers - all of them, not just current ones.

With my 94 RRC LWB, which isn't really that old compared to a 356 Porsche, I'm faced with "unobtamium" parts for numerous items.

I'll always have an older Rover in the family, yet, my respect for the brand is diluted from what it once was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior