2015 discovery sport

zelatore

Explorer
To further roverandom's thought, how is it that Fiat owns pretty much the entire Italian auto industry including such luminaries as Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Maserati, and yes Ferrari?

That's not to say I think rover needs to build a $25K rough and tumble pure utility vehicle. I'm fine with the image of Land Rover retaining a certain level of exclusivity. But there is certainly room in the portfolio for something more capable and less posh than the current US offerings. I'm not asking for the current Defender. I love the look and idea of it, but I also know I don't really want to own one as my only 4x4. What I want is a modern interpretation of the classic Defender. You don't have to give it away but price it reasonably. Again, look how many Wranglers are selling in our market. Rover is missing a chance to keep the image of capable, go-anywhere vehicles alive by not bringing us something that can go toe to toe with a Rubicon. Give it the expected LR traits of better road manners and greater load capacity than the Rubi and price it near the Rubi - you can go a little higher if you need to, but keep it reasonable. Say within $5-7K. That puts you in the $50K range for a modern Defender. Rover needs that vehicle to keep their image alive, and there's no reason they couldn't sell plenty of them to make a profit.

Please Rover, don't give in to just the uber-lux market. It's nice and profitable at the moment but it's built on your reputation as a go-anywhere/do-anything truck. Without the Defender you loose the foundation everything else is based on.

So go ahead and sell Discovery Sports and $120K Range Rovers. But don't forget who brought you to the dance.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
What bothers me about Land Rover as a company is their lack of support for the older vehicles.

Look at Mercedes - they have an entire factory supported business called MB Classic.

They embrace their history.

Porsche the same and called Porsche Classic.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/jaguar-land-rover-launches-special-operations

"Special Vehicle Operations will also work on restoring classic Land Rovers and Jaguars; this part of the business will utilize the existing workshop at Browns Lane in Coventry. In this regard, SVO will be like Mercedes-Benz's Classic Center, carrying out factory restorations to the highest standards."

haven

Expedition Leader
I continue to believe that Tata will introduce utility vehicles that are updates to the current Defender (introduced way back in 1983). The new vehicles won't be called Land Rovers, and they won't be sold in North America or Europe. So the "real" Defender won't die, it will just be sold as a Tata.

The new Land Rover utility vehicle may retain the Defender name, but it will be part of that "Leisure" group shown in a post above. LR is hoping the new Defender can take sales away from the Wrangler. I expect it will have some appeal in upscale neighborhoods in Park City, UT and Ketchum, ID.

roverandom

Adventurer
Yeah, Tata are moving the Defender tooling to India where it will continue production, this time with Indian build quality!!!!!

You will not be able to buy one in the western world. Third world only.

We will get the replacement. I hope it's going to be as good as we all hope but if they roll out another Gerry McGovern limp wristed special I can't say I would be very surprised.

Blueboy

Adventurer
"Special Vehicle Operations will also work on restoring classic Land Rovers and Jaguars; this part of the business will utilize the existing workshop at Browns Lane in Coventry. In this regard, SVO will be like Mercedes-Benz's Classic Center, carrying out factory restorations to the highest standards."

Yes, I've read that article and while a very nice service, I'll stick to ECR for my Rover restorations.

Thanks though for posting it.

The key for me is the other marques are offering parts to their customers and not just restoration or custom services.

To get my RRC finished, it took ECR 3 Rangies (2 of them mine and 1 Mike had on hand) and many, many phone calls to try and source parts many of which were just not available.

This is the support to which I refer and what Land Rover is not providing for whatever reasoning on their part.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
In fairness, I do not think that Mercedes provides all parts for all models going back indefinitely. Mechanical parts I would imagine they have good coverage on, but if you call your local Benz dealer and ask for a headliner or kick panel or dashboard assembly for a 1981 500SL I don't think you'll have much luck.

Land Rover sold off their "Classic Parts" division to Rovers North I think back around when the company changed hands from BMW --> Ford.

I also wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the new SVO division at JLR. have you seen the new lightweight E-Type they are building??

http://www.jaguar.com/news/lightweight-e-type-is-reborn.html

There aren't many (zero, in fact) other car companies that are doing something like this. So please, all of you, continue to crap on how the brand "doesn't understand their heritage".

Blueboy

Adventurer
I also wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the new SVO division at JLR. have you seen the new lightweight E-Type they are building??

Totally agree they are doing great work and that is a perfect example however it doesn't support me keeping an older Rover on the road.

From my review of Benz Classic parts is that yes, one can obtain parts like a dashboard assembly - on the site it is an example for an older Benz.

Also remember RN buying the Classic Parts from LR and they do have some good stuff especially for Series vehicles.

At the same point in time, there are no more parts being produced as in the case with MB and Porsche.

Both of them have shown it can be financially successful and for sure increases customer loyalty.

roverandom

Adventurer
[QUOTESo please, all of you, continue to crap on how the brand "doesn't understand their heritage".[/QUOTE]

I can crap on the brand because it no longer builds the type of vehicle I care to own. All the special six figure show off concepts and photo op's with the first Series One, HUEy in world doesn't change that.

Land Rover need to build working vehicles again. Best selling vehicle in North America----Ford F150. Not the high zoot Raptor or King Ranch trim levels. Just normal everyday work trucks sell the best because a guy can actually do something other than show off in it.

Mack73

Adventurer
Man some people need to let the past be the past. Look at the state of ALL the traditional offroad platforms: LandCrusier, Prado, 4Runner, Cherokee, Discovery, Range Rover. They are all running IFS and some IRS. Can't fit large tires, lots of plastic, too many electronics, etc.
Only things left pretty much in the old style:
Defender: Gone
G-Wagen: Gone soon
Wrangler: Rumor of IFS
70 series LandCruiser might be the only thing left just because the Aussies love it soo much.
Times have changed and the vehicles must do so as well. Yes I would love a new "old" platform again, as I was simply too young to buy most of the good ones back when they were new but I understand that what was possible back then isn't possible anymore. Too much regulation.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
View attachment 244028
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-land-rover-discovery-sport-official-photos-and-info-news

In what bubble world is this "grit"?

I mean I think it's a decent car, but this verbiage is embarrassing.

Oh yeah, that's gritty . . . If they're really serious though, they should take a bunch of these, kit them out and paint them in Camel Trophy colors and drive through the Amazon for a couple of weeks during rainy season. If they can do that then they will be all right in my book!

khronus79

Adventurer
Land Rover need to build working vehicles again. Best selling vehicle in North America----Ford F150. Not the high zoot Raptor or King Ranch trim levels. Just normal everyday work trucks sell the best because a guy can actually do something other than show off in it.

:clapsmile

Scott Brady

Founder
I just spent a few days in the Discovery Sport in Iceland. A well-built car that performs better than its competition in the dirt/ice/snow. It is a competitor to the X3 and Audi Q3, not the Wrangler, XTerra or 4Runner. They will sell a ton of them, and I hope they do- profit and volume from the Discovery Sport will fund and justify Defender in North America. As purists, we can whine all we want, but the only opportunity for the Defender is a profitable Land Rover NA and a sufficient fuel economy average. It is also important to note that the Discovery Sport is not a replacement for the LR4. There will be another Discovery in the line-up, hopefully emphasizing utility and 4WD performance as the LR4 does.

Discovery_Sport_3.jpg

Discovery_Sport_2.jpg

Discovery_Sport_1.jpg

Mack73

Adventurer
Good perspective Scott. Jeep doesn't live on the wrangler alone, but on all the 'Trail Rated' Mallroaders

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier