2015 discovery sport

umbertob

Adventurer
Compared to the LR2, which it replaces? No.

L359_15_EXT_LOC04_vdd_1_04_293-83946_670x385.jpg

L550_15_EXT_LOC01_FC_04-670x385_293-112019_670x385.jpg

http://www.landroverusa.com/vehicles/discovery-sport-compact-crossover/index.html

Last edited:
If it is replacing the LR2 it makes sense, and I don't think its ugly, just looks like every other crossover, which is what it is competing with. I like the fact they actually tested it, or they said they did, if land rover holds on to some of its heritage I think we will all make out ok.

zelatore

Explorer
When the drawings and spy photos were first coming out and they were claiming this was the Disco5 I was upset/worried. Then when it became understood that this was to replace the LR2 I let out a sigh of relief. I don't find it unattractive, just a little boring. Sort of like a cross between an Explorer and an Evoke. It may lack the capabilities of the Disco line, but the LR2 it's replacing was never in that class anyway.

Now we wait for the new Defender and Disco....and again hold our breath in hopes they don't go to soft or bland.

haven

Expedition Leader
The Discovery Sport will cost a shade less than $40,000 USD, so its competitors are compact SUVs from Audi, BMW and Mercedes, all of which use a turbo 2 liter gas engine. Small SUVs from Lexus and Acura pack a V6, and suffer about a 3 mpg penalty in combined driving. BMW and Mercedes offer a small diesel engine in this class.

There are plenty of midsize and larger SUVs at this price point, so Land Rover has to hope the Discovery Sport's style will help prospective buyers overlook the smaller interior space and 2.0 L four cylinder engine.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Not to be a shameless self-promoter, but I wrote this piece quite some time ago about the Vision Concept.

http://expeditionportal.com/jumping-the-shark-land-rovers-discovery-vision-concept/

Not to put too fine a point on it, my takeaway is thus: Overlanders obviously love the Land Rover brand. Land Rover clearly doesn't give a rip about overlanders, and why should they? Their market is clearly desirous of these more refined road machines and they sell them faster than they can build them.

I have to wonder if the horse and boat trailer crowd won't be steered towards the RRS, and the LR4 successors will become even less off-road oriented.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
I can only hope there are minds within the company who value the Defender as their cornerstone product and see all other product offerings as necessary evils to fund the Defender's rugged existence.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I never thought I'd say this: I like the Discovery Vision concept better.

As said above, as a replacement to the LR2 it's not half bad... sort of like a luxury Forester. I'm anxious to see what the other 4 Discoverys will be (remember, Discovery is supposed to be a "line" now like Range Rover).

zelatore

Explorer
Not to be a shameless self-promoter, but I wrote this piece quite some time ago about the Vision Concept.

http://expeditionportal.com/jumping-the-shark-land-rovers-discovery-vision-concept/

Not to put too fine a point on it, my takeaway is thus: Overlanders obviously love the Land Rover brand. Land Rover clearly doesn't give a rip about overlanders, and why should they? Their market is clearly desirous of these more refined road machines and they sell them faster than they can build them.

I have to wonder if the horse and boat trailer crowd won't be steered towards the RRS, and the LR4 successors will become even less off-road oriented.

Don't say it - if you don't say it, it can't come true!

OK, OK, I know it's already coming true.

Still, there is some hope. Last month when the new LR Reno Store was opening they invited our club to bring rigs up to display for the grand opening. Unfortunately it coincided with a trip we had planned and most of the members who would likely have shown a vehicle (such as my LR3, which looks close enough to the current LR4 to sort of fit in with the new trucks) were unable to attend.

Similarly, if I stop by my local Sacramento dealer with my expo-y truck all the staff is very excited to see it. So I can only hope they realize the company's foundation lies in the expo/overland image forged by the earlier trucks and don't go totally starbucks on us.
(not that I haven't driven my truck to starbucks, but you get the idea...)

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Discovery Sport will do well with it's targeted market.

Little know fact - Heuberger Motors, a Subaru dealer in Colorado Springs, is the largest volume Subaru dealership in the United States since 2007. Thinking every garage in Colorado has at least one Subaru.

In addition IT is in growth along the Front Range, from the Springs to Ft. Collins. The spendable income is there.

94Discovery

Adventurer
It look like a Mercedes ML 320
Slowly but surly Land rover is fading away from being different having its own identity,now it looks like everything else and why someone wants to buy something that looks like everything else ?

Eniam17

Adventurer
It's 2014. Like it or not, LR can either stick with the strategy of making 3 or 4 models which are all gas guzzling boxes on wheels (which I personally love because I have 3 of them) and be driven to failure as the brand has been numerous times over the last 50+ years, or it can evolve and change with the times and offer a more diverse product line. Most of us don't like it, but the Evoque is the best selling Rover model now for 2014. We are all in for a lot of surprised over the next decade from Rover. I think all of these crossover/AWD models could end up being a good thing for the Defender as it will remain the true utilitarian model in the lineup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles