Yellow Frontier into Expedition truck

iron dingo

Observer
This is kinda my introduction post and will be my build thread for my Adventure truck.

I am mostly a bike guy but am getting into more winter hiking and camping, as well as wanting to go to places where bikes are not allowed but trucks are. I required a pickup because of the bikes and needing to transport them every once in a while. I currently don't have a place to store a trailer that is easy to get to. I also wanted a crew cab so I could lock up my gear and keep it out of the weather. My budget has been tight so i took a while in my search and I found and purchased this one:

a 2004 Frontier
Crew cab, Long bed with 68,000 miles on it
7kfLv2zSpfza1ug81ygNPqz8mgIge28BMjp5kI8jkA4f=w960-h720-no

It came with a tool box that I took out right away I want the bed space for bikes.

L5TkJHMPk9vAWDxKnUHOhH0TwvuIoA5zQ9ng8my81IjG=w960-h720-no

IMG_20140829_110924_183.jpg

My current plan is a suspension lift so I can put on taller tires
4X4parts.com has a bunch of suspension options I am looking at the 5100 series Bilstein kit, but I am not sure if I need to get the kit with the 3 leaf spring it.

Then new bumpers I am liking both the Shrockworks and the Tactical Armor bumpers.

there will be winches and rock rails and other things too I am sure.

I am thinking expedition, not mudder or rock crawler.

Attachments

• 10603664_10152694510718979_942444375800859048_n.jpg
    10603664_10152694510718979_942444375800859048_n.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 10649567_10152694510498979_7767441750798544189_n.jpg
    10649567_10152694510498979_7767441750798544189_n.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 53

theBostonianX

Adventurer
Nice truck!

I have a Shrockworks bumper for my Xterra, the quality was worth the 4 month long wait. I recommend you research the TAG bumpers a bit more before you decide. I have no first hand experience but have read varying reviews regarding the quality and customer service.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

iron dingo

Observer
Thanks, i am psyched.

Thanks for the advice I will continue to research. I think I will do the suspension first so i will have time to figure out the bumpers. I want to make sure i do it right.

xkid

Adventurer
Wow thats clean. I think the 3 leafs is better than the add a leaf and a bigger shackle.

iron dingo

Observer
Thanks,

so you would just spend the little extra and swap out the springs entirely. Will that give me a stiffer empty ride than having the Add a leaf? cause i still want it to be comfortable on the road

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Nice color-

My favorite !

If it was my truck, I'd get rid of the grill guard--they cause much more trouble than value-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Hey, nice truck!

The first gens are very cool rigs. I loved mine, here's my build thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/111452-WreckDiver1321-s-2003-Frontier-CC-SC

If you're looking at suspension options, there's a couple things to take in mind. Primarily, since you're carrying bikes, you really do want to increase the load capacity as much as possible without ruining the ride when it's empty. The bet option is getting new springs. Add-a-leafs are fine, but they won't ride and perform like a new spring pack will. You have a couple of options here. You can a) buy an OME leaf set, or b) get some custom springs made for you. The custom route is more expensive, but it's the best performing. Old Man Emu is a great company that makes fantastic springs, and I've been really impressed with their products in the past. When I built my truck, I used the medium duty OME springs and a set of 1.5" shackles. this got me 2.5" of lift overall, and it rode really well when unladen. It's a pretty cost effective system too.

As for the front setup, you can get up to 2" without actually buying anything. Some easy and simple adjustments can be made. The end result is a pretty good ride with that little extra clearance. With two inches, you can run 32" tires without any trouble, and I think 32s are an optimal size for these trucks. If you plan on wheeling it, I highly recommend getting a steering upgrade kit, as the tie rods are pretty flimsy, the idler arm needs a brace, and the system likes having a steering stabilizer.

For the bumper, I would definitely go Shrockworks. I think they have the toughest and best looking bumper out there for the D22. Yes, the wait times are bad, but in my opinion it's worthwhile. Be different and paint it yellow :D

Good luck and nice truck!

iron dingo

Observer
Hey, nice truck!

The first gens are very cool rigs. I loved mine, here's my build thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/111452-WreckDiver1321-s-2003-Frontier-CC-SC

If you're looking at suspension options, there's a couple things to take in mind. Primarily, since you're carrying bikes, you really do want to increase the load capacity as much as possible without ruining the ride when it's empty. The bet option is getting new springs. Add-a-leafs are fine, but they won't ride and perform like a new spring pack will. You have a couple of options here. You can a) buy an OME leaf set, or b) get some custom springs made for you. The custom route is more expensive, but it's the best performing. Old Man Emu is a great company that makes fantastic springs, and I've been really impressed with their products in the past. When I built my truck, I used the medium duty OME springs and a set of 1.5" shackles. this got me 2.5" of lift overall, and it rode really well when unladen. It's a pretty cost effective system too.

As for the front setup, you can get up to 2" without actually buying anything. Some easy and simple adjustments can be made. The end result is a pretty good ride with that little extra clearance. With two inches, you can run 32" tires without any trouble, and I think 32s are an optimal size for these trucks. If you plan on wheeling it, I highly recommend getting a steering upgrade kit, as the tie rods are pretty flimsy, the idler arm needs a brace, and the system likes having a steering stabilizer.

For the bumper, I would definitely go Shrockworks. I think they have the toughest and best looking bumper out there for the D22. Yes, the wait times are bad, but in my opinion it's worthwhile. Be different and paint it yellow :D

Good luck and nice truck!

The shocks are a bit tired on this truck so I was thinking of going for a kit like this one https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/del...dd-leaf-pack-5100-bilstein-shocks-p-6951.html

I have been reading your thread I am at the point where you got tires. Nice truck
OME does not do kits for 2004 I guess it is different enough from the 2005. :shrug:

The only temptation on the other bumper is the 2" receiver in the front so I can mount a Rokon on it.:p
3039.5.jpg

I will add the steering to my ever growing list.
The yellow was never the intent. every other thing I own is black. But, I figure I am man enough to rock the yellow.

Thank you all for the input I am new to this world and am really hoping to learn form others mistakes and successes. So, I can save a little $$ ;-)

Nice, where are you doing most of your wheeling? As for the lift for the bigger tires, I wouldn't go any higher than the 265/75 for mpg reasons. I went 285/75r16 and I really notice a different. I'm deciding to lower tire size down or just bite the bullet and re-gear up. Clean find.

iron dingo

Observer
Thank you everyone.

I am thinking i am going to do a shock and lift kit soon, see how the stock leafs act for a season then replace them. I might go with a local spring forge that i had good luck with in the past. (no shipping) :)

for tires i am thinking 265 i do not want wide tires i am thinking i want the 85's for clearance

as far as where i am going, not sure yet, southern Maine and white mountains NH. my bud "Screemin" does a bunch in the north Maine woods and has invited me to go up there. I am working on more hiking and camping so I am building with that in mind.

iron dingo

Observer
I have been neglecting my thread.

I have not had many adventures with my Bee yet. I did go paint-balling in a friends back lot and took the tractor path back to the field with all the gear ad he did quite well there were 2 thumps to the under-body so I am ready for that lift.
IMG_20140927_101405_060-EFFECTS.jpg

2014-09-30.jpg

and I noticed my steering gear was leaking fluid.

IMG_20140920_133737_646.jpg

So, last weekend I went down to my GF parents house to swap it out with a rebuilt. I had tried to do it the weekend before but my big wrench selection is lacking and getting the nut off the bottom was not happening. we got down there and started the day by swapping out all the rotors and break pads on my Girls Honda Civic, then pulled The Bee into the garage. The pitman arm nut and pitman arm came off no problem.

IMG_20141012_151511_981.jpg

But, then as I was working on breaking loose the power steering lines from the top of the gear it happened. the nut popped loose and I drove my hand into the bodywork at the underside of the fender gashing open my knuckles. I knew it was bad. I went inside to clean it up and as I was trying to wash it i could see inside my hand and see the tendons move.... crap.. hospital trip so we got in the civic and drove off to the ER where I got 8 stitches and a severe cleaning of the wound.

IMG_20141012_171939_745.jpg

They also splinted up my hand so I would not pull the stitches out since they are on my knuckles. We got back to the house in time to see My GF's dad and brother-in-law put the front wheel back on and to help refill the power steering fluid.

I totally lucked out did not damage any tendons and got someone else to finish the work on my truck. ;-)

Though I think I would prefer not to have needed stitches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior