Two Latvians overlanding south

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Did you actually drive that road in the second to last photo above!?!? Incredible photos!

Yes we did, that is road that leads to Shafer switchbacks and White Rim Trail. I wouldn't consider it 4x4 trail tough as it appears to be doable in a Prius or at least it was when we were there... :)

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
To many people Moab might appeal as place for 4x4 and mountain biking activates, but wait there are more things to do around it, like marvelous National Parks. One of them is already mentioned Canyonlands, other is Arches National Park. Arches are structures very similar to Natural Bridges, only difference – there is no river/water flowing underneath Arch. Our visit as always involved unplanned hike. We choose the longest one to Double O arch and went for it. First part of the trail was full of breathtaking views, however second, returning on “primitive trail” was technical and fun. Another day well spent. ;)

7EEUWgJ.jpg

cvcRaZY.jpg

7EEUWgJ.jpg

mWHyNz2.jpg

Check Facebook page for more pictures.

O'DubhGhaill

Yes we did, that is road that leads to Shafer switchbacks and White Rim Trail. I wouldn't consider it 4x4 trail tough as it appears to be doable in a Prius or at least it was when we were there... :)

I would have rapid heartbeat walking that road, as the drop-off appears as a near shear cliff at the very edge of the "road"!

O'DubhGhaill

Hah! The narrow road doesn't scare me...what scares me is the thought of falling off the cliff in my Jeep Patriot! :0 I would have to drive the direction you are in this photo so that my wife could be seated near the wall and not the abyss! She would completely freak out on this road even still! Outstanding guys!

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
We love nature and its creations. Slot canyons (narrow canyons) made us feel like kids in the candy store. They were that good! These canyons offer not only stunning views, but interesting hikes – to get into one of them you have to climb up a sandstone formation and some of them are so narrow that larger people or those who have problems with tight spaces (claustrophobic) are not even recommended to go there. This was certainly place which we left with a huge smiles and lots of positive emotions. ;) You know what else interesting happened?! We met cool Latvians with whom later we went for a Grand Canyon discovery hike, more about it another time. Small world, eh?! ;)

qqZTTLY.jpg

JbiAGxw.jpg

IVwLISQ.jpg

kY4zM9K.jpg

5EyJ1Gp.jpg

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
There are places that are so big and unique in their own ways that no picture will make justice. It’s possible to capture parts of the beauty, but it will never be a full picture. Bryce Canyon National Park is certainly one of them. Place is truly magnificent and we have to say it again – unique. If there is an opportunity to visit Bryce Canyon, it should be used. It’s one of the U.S. busiest parks for a reason. ;)

je3RgBi.jpg

VnZPzb2.jpg

MXLujjB.jpg

FQ5lIqK.jpg

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
When you go to some place, you shouldn’t expect much. It was our case in Zion, we knew it is something amazing, but because of planning phase (making list of place we want to see) took place quite a few months ago we have forgotten about what most places are about… Well Zion took us by surprise. Driving through the tunnel was like going through the teleport – suddenly everything changes around you and you end up in some place magical. Views were spectacular and left us speechless. We also managed to hike Angels Landing which just added that extra bit to our Zion visit. :)

W7GmNbv.jpg

NPBu9kn.jpg

8Kwqz84.jpg

ObUZYeg.jpg

ojPscSJ.jpg

fortel

Adventurer
Glad your trip is going so well. I'd love to get to do the Angel's Landing hike one day. Continued safe travels to you.

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
The Wave… Google it and you will get some outstanding photos of one of the finest and most colorful sandstone feature in the World. Reality is that no picture will fill you with excitement you get, when you actually see it in life. It’s not big, but it is very impressive. In our minds this is the must visit place in U.S. Yes, the problem is that you have to win lottery to get permit to go there, but it’s worth trying! We were lucky and won lottery with first try. So grateful and happy about it!!! :)

FZazhRd.jpg

D6aQE56.jpg

pSMrjIw.jpg

Check our Facebook page for more pictures.

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Not all places that are featured in magazines like National Geographic are hard to access. Some are very available. Horseshoe Bend is one of them, it's beautiful, easily accessible and offers superb view of the canyon and Colorado River below. We managed to pay a short visit to it, just before the Grand Canyon tour, more about it next time. In other news: We are a bit over a week from becoming illegal aliens in the U.S., which means - it's Mexico time soon. ;)

GSgrSW7.jpg

9dmZ3nA.jpg

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
We have heard good things about North Rim of Grand Canyon and it was on top of our list from the day we started this adventure. We haven’t been lied. North Rim is less popular amongst mainstream tourists, which means less visited. That however doesn’t mean it is less magnificent than South Rim. Actually we prefer North Rim over South and would love to return there one day again! One more thing – we had one of the best camping spots so far. ;)

bzrk2Gq.jpg

8HQQa7E.jpg

IahB23L.jpg

T1aOgRa.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz