Two Latvians overlanding south

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
thanks for sharing! I totally agree about your statement about Nevada - I am liking that state more and more every time we go explore. We also just went to Great Basin last weekend and was totally impressed by this park - and there is no one around!

If you ever come back around Lake Tahoe let me know - we would love to show you around and you can stay at our place.

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
You timed your arrival in CO well! The weather has been great the last few days :)
Yeah, we heard that there was two weeks of rain. Can't complain about weather now at all. It's pure beauty ;)

thanks for sharing! I totally agree about your statement about Nevada - I am liking that state more and more every time we go explore. We also just went to Great Basin last weekend and was totally impressed by this park - and there is no one around!

If you ever come back around Lake Tahoe let me know - we would love to show you around and you can stay at our place.
Great Basin - must visit place in Nevada, I would say :)

Thanks a lot for the offer, if we will be in area again will contact you for sure ;)

Safe travels! :)

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Colorado… Despite the fact that we thought Colorado is going to be quick drive-thru tour and we are going to look at couple places, list of places we should visit has grown significantly (Thanks for the suggestions!!!). So far we have visited Rocky Mountains National Park and managed to hike to the first 4000m+ (13000ft+) point (!!!). We are slowly making our way towards Pikes Peak and enjoying beautiful fall in Colorado. Did we tell before, that fall seems to be right time to visit Colorado? :)

TOMeDx6.jpg

oKVsoqy.jpg

c6siOJr.jpg

BgCxVaD.jpg

Check Facebook for more pictures ;)

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Famous Pikes Peak – 4302m (14,115ft) has been conquered! If we had doubts about paying the entrance fee at the begging, they faded away soon after. It’s totally worth it! Truly one of the places that are worth visiting and experiencing! Other news: We came to know, that in US packages can be deliver to USPS post office (any) using “General Delivery” at no charge. First one is on the way, will see how it goes! ;)

pfRB1vi.jpg

wAAJd8j.jpg

cjwPS2U.jpg

RwNSbGv.jpg

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Visited Great Sand Dunes National Park – interesting place, surrounded by mountains and flatland and suddenly there are sand dunes 200m+ (600ft+) high (pictures to follow). Now in Rio Grande National Forest. Found a great dispersed camping spot at 3300m (10800ft) day before yesterday and stayed there for couple nights as weather has gone bad and it's raining (snowing?!) and quite windy all the time. When weather clears up, the views are fantastic of course, and it appears that the first snow is starting to fall. ;) Hoping for a better weather tomorrow, when we are planning to visit Engineer and Cinnamon passes. Some people say that it is one of Colorado's most scenic offroad drives.

6zghmPb.jpg

aVX4rVA.jpg

P.S. ARB if you are reading we would love to have AWNING 3-WALL SET 2500MM (ARB4408A) as addition to our ARB awning. :))

Last edited:

coax

Adventurer
Colorado… Despite the fact that we thought Colorado is going to be quick drive-thru tour and we are going to look at couple places, list of places we should visit has grown significantly (Thanks for the suggestions!!!). So far we have visited Rocky Mountains National Park and managed to hike to the first 4000m+ (13000ft+) point (!!!). We are slowly making our way towards Pikes Peak and enjoying beautiful fall in Colorado. Did we tell before, that fall seems to be right time to visit Colorado? :)

Looks like you timed it perfectly. And a great hike up longs peak it looks like. That's basically my back yard; I worked for the park for about 6 years. Glad you were able to spend a few days.

Do you have a rough estimate when you'll be arriving in south America? Meaning is it planned for their summer coming up or are you doing a multi year trek?

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Another Astro headed south, I am in!

:victory:

Looks like you timed it perfectly. And a great hike up longs peak it looks like. That's basically my back yard; I worked for the park for about 6 years. Glad you were able to spend a few days.

Do you have a rough estimate when you'll be arriving in south America? Meaning is it planned for their summer coming up or are you doing a multi year trek?

Well it has been great up to couple days ago, then the rain/snow started. Imogene is impossible *** far as we as we know. Met the guy on trail and he said, he was fighting trough 2ft of snow week ago, since then there has been couple good rain/snow days and we got snowed on today at campsite, which was at 8500 ft :)

Bottom line - we love Colorado and despite the early snow it's beautiful. So far our favorite state on the trip :)

As for South America - probably in a year or so. We have no set plans - it's adventure and we don't have to meet any deadlines. Except for visa, which dictates how long can we stay in certain country :)

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Snow? Colorado got snow! After posting last update, we got into a bit of snowstorm… Nothing special in a way, if you don’t think about the fact that it’s only September. :Wow1:And this wonder of nature has two sides. Positive – all mountains look more majestic and bigger. Negative – mountain passes are being covered with at least 50cm (~2ft) of snow. For us that means that long planned Imogene pass crossing will have to be left for another adventure. ;) Going back to positive – yesterday we managed to cross Cinnamon pass, and of course there was fair amount of snow there… But it turns out this “road” gets cleaned. And after a short wait bulldozer arrived and cleared our way allowing us to cross the mountain pass. It’s worth mentioning that road maintenance crew were fantastic human beings! It was pleasure to meet them and have a conversation! People like these make our adventure interesting! :)

VHf8e0e.jpg

UhiJvpN.jpg

FBe3Jsn.jpg

aFAfgEV.jpg

DAjgxD8.jpg

Check Facebook for more pictures

witt

Adventurer
Great to see photos from home. The rockies in the fall are just amazing!

Sounds like you guys are having a great time!

- Witt (from Denver, now in Colombia)

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
As promised pictures from Great Sand Dunes National Park are here! :) Place is unique – we managed to do a bit of hiking and get a little sunburn. ;) In other news: We are back in Utah. Nice thing about it – we can now wear shorts instead of jeans and there is no need for jacket as well. Views from camping spots have been world class, more about it in next updates. ;)

yZIm0CM.jpg

HzO2z5t.jpg

eeUymQK.jpg

Check Facebook page for more pictures.

P.S. Our car seems to be developing front diff pinion seal leak, to fix it we are looking for somebody with a impact gun in southern UT or Northern/Central AZ... If you can help, please let us know!!! :)

Scott Brady

Founder
P.S. Our car seems to be developing front diff pinion seal leak, to fix it we are looking for somebody with a impact gun in southern UT or Northern/Central AZ... If you can help, please let us know!!! :)

We have a complete shop. We also have access to ASE certified techs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles