Two Latvians overlanding south

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Are you planning to drive back home at the end of the trip?

No. We have though about it, but at the end of the day, it's just not worth it.

Even to ship vehicle (RORO) costs at least $2000+. And I think we would get more kick out of building a new one.

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Lots of driving and being back in the groove, check out new post: http://bit.ly/1GcCvZX

Despite the fact that we have turned wheels Northwards and finished our 6 month test drive, we haven't done with traveling and south.

As we start rebuilding Astrid and preparing for real journey south, new posts are going to come, stay tuned :victory:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Do you have a long term review of Astrid's "overlanding" performance? I am pretty sure I know how it would read, but just curious anyway.

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Do you have a long term review of Astrid's "overlanding" performance? I am pretty sure I know how it would read, but just curious anyway.

Not on a paper. But we do have a feel for what worked and what didn't (Cooper tires....). What we did underestimate as unnecessary and what we had to much of.

I am thinking about putting it down on paper, as well as we are looking forward talking about "Lessons learned on 6 month test drive" at NW Overland Rally in June.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Glad to see an update and that you've decided to stick with Astrid the Astro and perform a few modifications.

More puncture resistant tires and ARB compressor should reduce stress levels and you make great points not only about the fridge but about having a convertible couch to comfortably lounge in the van when you have to.

Excited to see what you come up with for convertible couch/bed and solar setup as well!

Wiley

Adventurer
I was lucky enough to avoid punctures down there with BFGoodrich AT/KOs 235/70R16s. Since I am under 6 foot I am planning a bed across the back to create some living space as that was one of my biggest complaints....I started with a bed for a king, and it kept getting smaller and smaller as I went.

Great photos.

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
I was lucky enough to avoid punctures down there with BFGoodrich AT/KOs 235/70R16s. Since I am under 6 foot I am planning a bed across the back to create some living space as that was one of my biggest complaints....I started with a bed for a king, and it kept getting smaller and smaller as I went.

Great photos.

Yeah, BFG appears to be a way to go on these trips. ;)

You are lucky in that sense, I am 6'2"-6'3" and my wife is ~ 5'9" and there is no way on earth we could sleep across. Will post pictures when I get to build of sleeping platform/couch. On a paper of course it looks easy. :)

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Just in case you were still wondering why we turned North after 6 months heading South - check out our latest blog post: http://bit.ly/1AebAwV

P.S. We are back to travels (initially Europe, then hopefully back south) in less than 2 months :)

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
We have started working on Astrid v0.2.

It is interesting and very challenging, as there are two of us, who have never built anything. Probably not going to be prettiest build, but it should work well. First thing we are building is "The Hub" – structure that is going to be a home to dual battery setup + ARB fridge + all controllers.

yWVUCdc.jpg

Will try to provide updates from time to time on how our build is progressing.

We hope to finish and test the build by mid-June, and attend NW Overland Rally 2015 at the end of June.

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
We have finished our Trip around Latvia on bikes, it was fantastic and you can read more about it on our blog: http://www.izaicinajums.com/p/apkart-latvijai.html

lv7RZ6S.jpg

Unfortunately at the very end of adventure Dace took a bad fall and has to stay in bed for two moths, which means we will have to delay our adventure South.

We are very positive that everything is going to heal well with enough time given and we will be able to return to Astrid and travels south sooner than later ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94