Lets talk about gas storage

Louisd75

Adventurer
What is it, with the need to carry extra gasoline?

Has ANYONE here ever run out of gas, and needed the extra? Helping a beggar not included...

Just top off your tank before leaving pavement.

I've come close several times, usually breaking trail in snow. 2 or 3mpg isn't uncommon breaking trail in the deep stuff. I've also been in situations (Furnace Creek) where the gas station is out til the next fuel truck arrives, which might be a day, might be two. Similar situation a couple of times in Mexico, where the PEMEX station was no longer open. I always top off before I leave the pavement, but I also always have two full cans in the back of the truck.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Rotopax go on sale from time to time. Got a 4 gallon on sale last year for $85. They can mount to your spare tire.

i really want to avoid that extra strain on my tail gate. Jeeps are known for those being weak points. I could not justify spending $85 on a 4 gallon tank.

I've come close several times, usually breaking trail in snow. 2 or 3mpg isn't uncommon breaking trail in the deep stuff. I've also been in situations (Furnace Creek) where the gas station is out til the next fuel truck arrives, which might be a day, might be two. Similar situation a couple of times in Mexico, where the PEMEX station was no longer open. I always top off before I leave the pavement, but I also always have two full cans in the back of the truck.

I didn't even think about winter, breaking trail sure uses a lot and some gas stations are seasonal up here. Mostly because they are remote lodges selling at $8/gal to people on wheelers

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Do you have a roof rack? Although not the best that's an option

No I do not. Plain factory hard top. I may have to build a whole custom receiver mount. If I do that it will be set up to hold 4 cans. It will be slotted so I can safely use two tanks in it. It would let me get the water out of the cab too. If I can build it right it will slide to the drivers side for cargo access.

This whole thing is just motivation for me to get on building a trailer.

F350

Observer
Precision Powder - I'm in the same boat as you. I've got a smaller tank (2door JK) and would like at least 6 more gallons to carry with me. Based on the few trips I've taken off road so far, I could easily use that extra 6 gallons especially over a weekend or more. I'm not sure why the hesitation on the rotopax...yeah they're expensive but I see it as a one time expense. Same with some aftermarket carrier as well since the stock gate is not up to the task of carrying more weight. I'll be interested in what you come up with.

doug720

Expedition Leader
The only time you can have too much gas (fuel...), is when you're on fire!

We also travel to fairly remote areas with long distances between fuel stations, so extra carrying extra fuel is necessary. But I'm not a fan of gas cans, especially on the roof or inside the vehicle.

I don't know Jeeps, but are larger or second built-in fuel tanks available? Always safer and easier if they are.

We have an 800+ mile range on the stock tank and an added saddle tank on the our 60, and it works really well for us.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Precision Powder - I'm in the same boat as you. I've got a smaller tank (2door JK) and would like at least 6 more gallons to carry with me. Based on the few trips I've taken off road so far, I could easily use that extra 6 gallons especially over a weekend or more. I'm not sure why the hesitation on the rotopax...yeah they're expensive but I see it as a one time expense. Same with some aftermarket carrier as well since the stock gate is not up to the task of carrying more weight. I'll be interested in what you come up with.

Sure the Rotopax is nice but for the $85 price tag i could have 10 gallons of fuel with 2 jerry cans. Rotopax also take up a ton of room. I am just not ready to buy a $1000 rear bumper/carrier combo. I cannot bring myself to spend that. For $1000 I could build a killer trailer to haul all of that.

I am leaning towards building something that goes in the receiver, best option at the moment without spending a huge chunk of money. This winter I plan to build a trailer. It will be a very over the top function rich trailer. It is going to take me all winter to build, wire, plumb, and powder coat so this needs to be a cheap easy solution

libarata

Expedition Leader
My Briggs and Stratton 2, and 5 gallon gas cans are unvented. I keep a 2 gallon can in my forester most times, and never smell anything. I also keep a back window cracked at least half an inch anyways.

Last edited:

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
The only time you can have too much gas (fuel...), is when you're on fire!

We also travel to fairly remote areas with long distances between fuel stations, so extra carrying extra fuel is necessary. But I'm not a fan of gas cans, especially on the roof or inside the vehicle.

I don't know Jeeps, but are larger or second built-in fuel tanks available? Always safer and easier if they are.

We have an 800+ mile range on the stock tank and an added saddle tank on the our 60, and it works really well for us.

The only tanks I am aware of fit up where the muffler goes and replaces the stock tank. It is extremely expensive ($1800) also requires cutting part of the body out, building a custom exhaust, getting a Currie AntiRock sway bar setup, a new jeep fuel pump and other pita mods to make it work. I would have probably close to $3500 into just adding an extra 20 gallons. There are others I saw that mount near the frame rail but I have to do more investigation into those. They all start around $1300 for about 15 extra gallons

I use 2 of these. No leaks, no smells, no problem. Eligible for free shipping from Amazon.
http://amzn.com/B000MT94TC

I have also looked at those but they do not look as rugged as the mil spec ones?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier