Lets talk about gas storage

brushogger

Explorer

This !!!! I have 4 of these and two have travel approximately 3000 off road miles and have never leaked a drop. These cans are advertised for non potable water only but have the UN stamping on them and Viton seals. One caveat. If your filling them up at 1000' altitude, and you're heading for 10,000' plus altitude, leave plenty of room for expansion. If you don't, they won't leak, but will surprise you when you pop the lid. These are great cans. Don't buy the cheap copies.

Last edited:

brushogger

Explorer
I have yet to have a CARB spout leak on me.

I never had one leak while it was in the rack, but I have never had one not dribble fuel on the ground when filling with it. Plus they are super slow. Someone made a &@?! Ton of money off CRAP spouts by forcing a change to them. They cause much more pollution than they prevent.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I have yet to have a CARB spout leak on me.

Have you ever actually tried to transfer fuel with a CARB-compliant filler spout in the "approved" method? They don't fit the filler necks of any of the vehicles I've ever tried to use them on, and they're absolutely worthless for trying to fuel lawn mowers, snow blowers, wood splitters, etc. so struggling to manually open the filler valve means you can't hold the can and support its weight properly. You also have no easy way to burp out the built-up pressure within the can before fueling, so when you do start fueling it's forced out under pressure, which squirts and splashes everywhere. The shut-off valve means the lawn mower's tank can't get past 1/2-full, but topping it off without spilling fuel takes a lot of practice because of the delayed shut-off when manually opening/closing the CARB spout's valve. The spouts that store inside the cans mean you drip gas and get it all over your hands before being able to fuel up, but if you store the spout in the installed, ready-to-fuel position then it's just asking to be hit by something and broken off, not to mention collecting dirt & dust in all its nooks & crannies that are relatively inaccessible to clean.

With a NATO can, you simply open the metal cam-lock cap, lock down the long flexible filler spout, and pour your fuel. No plastic parts to break, no spilled fuel, no frustration. The filler spout is long enough and flexible enough to fit any car's filler neck, no matter what its angle or how deeply it's recessed behind the fuel door. It works with all small engine fuel tanks, proper venting assures that it never "glugs" when pouring, and it can never spray pressurized fuel anywhere. Storing it in a sealed bag means it's always clean and ready for use, no matter how dirty the environment in which it's stored. And oh yeah - it's a lot cheaper.

DaveNay

Adventurer
I never had one leak while it was in the rack, but I have never had one not dribble fuel on the ground when filling with it. Plus they are super slow. Someone made a &@?! Ton of money off CRAP spouts by forcing a change to them. They cause much more pollution than they prevent.

The slow factor is what kills me! My Oliver 1850 tractor has the fuel filler about 6' off the ground and takes 30 gallons. Waiting for four or five gas cans to empty through the "approved" spout takes about 15 minutes. I have long since moved on to just taking the entire cap off and pouring through a 12" water filtering funnel.

brushogger

Explorer
As long as the funnel is CARB approved you're good man. I understand about the height. I used to run a "poppin' Johnny" when baling hay. I was tall for a 13-14 year old and fueling was still tough. Btw. Did I mention I had to walk to school barefoot in six foot of snow, uphill both directions? We carried hot potatoes in our pockets, yada, yada.

Last edited:

DaveNay

Adventurer
As long as the funnel is CARB approved you're good man. I understand about the height. I used to run a "poppin' Johnny" when baling hay. I was tall for a 13-14 year old and fueling was still tough. Btw. Did I mention I had to walk to school barefoot in six foot of snow, uphill both directions? We carried hot potatoes in our pockets, yada, yada.

You had HOT potaotes?!?! We only had cold ones and we had to eat them for lunch.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
When you price by the gallon, that is still cheaper than Rotopax. Roto, the Spanish word for broken.
Did you have a bad experiences with RotoPax cans or are you hearing this 2nd hand through the rumor mill? ;)
I've been running RotoPax 3 gallon cans for 3 years now, mounted flat and they've never leaked a drop. Even going from 5400' elevation to 11,000' (Eisenhower Tunnel) and then all the way down to -182' (Badwater Basin) and while they did "puff up", they never leaked.
The Carb compliant spouts do suck, but a non-CARB spout works just fine for pouring gas.

v_man

Explorer
yea in a possible Rotopax defense , I had them filled up at least 99% . I didn't leave much room for expansion ... perhaps that was a mistake on my part .

libarata

Expedition Leader
I use the CARB push button spouts. To relieve pressure before filling, I push the button while the can is level, release the button. I then put my FUNNEL in the filler hole, and pour into the funnel. Problem solved.
-
Now, those CARB nozzles you have to twist, and push against something do indeed suck donkey nutts. So I stopped buying them.
-
A practice I am switching to, is throwing the nozzles away, keeping the caps, and using a siphon. No need to hold anything, no spillage, and most of the time I never have to move the can.
-
Work smarter, and quite bitching.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
...those CARB nozzles you have to twist, and push against something do indeed suck donkey nutts. So I stopped buying them.
-
A practice I am switching to, is throwing the nozzles away, keeping the caps, and using a siphon. No need to hold anything, no spillage, and most of the time I never have to move the can.
-
Work smarter, and quit bitching.

Good suggestions for sure (especially dumping CARB nozzles altogether).

Doc Foster

Adventurer
They don't bust open like Rotopax.
This only seems to happen when you don't leave room for expansion due to heat or altitude.
I have travelled cross country several times (filling at altitude of 440' in MD), then checking them out at elevation in CO at over 10,000', yeah they swelled up a bit, but not a single drop leaked out, no smell etc. Now they were in the back of my truck, but inside a hard cap.

Like others have stated, I will never carry gas inside the passenger compartment of any vehicle for, Unless it was from the local gas station back to my home 4 miles, like for the lawn mower. When on trips, I usually carry 2-3 containers of fuel. Yes, I have had to use them.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I carry upwards of 10 gallons of gas around all of the time in my roo. I also drive with at least one back window cracked about 1-2 inches in all weather. I put them in one of the Plano Sportsmans trunks, and strap it down when I do.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Can you fit a bigger tank in the stock location ? Transferring fuel from cans sucks.

What sucks about it? 6'-8' of hose and a SuperSiphon and I don't even have to take the can out of its storage location. Just start the siphon action and go do something else for 4-1/2 mins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94