Lets talk about gas storage

What is it, with the need to carry extra gasoline?

Has ANYONE here ever run out of gas, and needed the extra? Helping a beggar not included...

Just top off your tank before leaving pavement.

I don't actually run out, I add fuel before sputtering to a stop. And I do that on about 50% of my wanderings in the west. Sometimes I plan on filling up in a remote hamlet and arrive to find the station closed.

With 10 extra gallons I have more options.

I use the NATO jerry cans. They don't leak and, with practice, you can transfer fuel without spilling. I would not store them inside a vehicle.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
When building an overland rig to drive through Central America, I too was looking for an inexpensive solution to carry fuel outside the vehicle. I purchased a Blitz gas can and one of these style mounts-
http://www.amazon.com/BLITZ-GAS-CAN...B004XCGFOQ/ref=pd_sxp_f_i/182-9287709-5852814

I like these mounts because they don't stick way out if the can of fuel is off (like the mounts that use the large platform for the can to sit on).
It was mounted to the side of my Toyota PU's bed (behind the rear wheel). I used steel backing on the inside, and never once had an issue in the jungles. Many folks don't like Jerry can style Blitz cans, but I've never had an issue with them leaking or venting.
Just be sure the top has a good o-ring and it's tightened down well. In fact, the cans seal so well that elevation changes can be seen as the can increases or decreases in pressure.
Good Luck

nnnnnate

Adventurer
I was looking at the same thing as you a few months ago. 2013 JK with a 18.5 gallon tank that has the fuel light turn on after 14 gallons is burned. I looked at bumpers, rear tire carrier, extended tank, hitch baskets, etc. I ended up buying a two jerry can hitch mount from a local friend and two scepter fuel cans for $70 each. We ran out to the backcountry in southern Utah and played for 4 days. BLM dirt roads that were in good condition is mostly what we saw. On the second day the welds broke on the carrier and I was SOL. I ended up emptying one fuel can into my tank but couldn't get the other one open, it had swelled too much.

The cans went in the back of my rig sandwiched around my gear and I strapped up the carrier as best I could. Two days later with the fuel cans (one empty one full) still in my rig and I wasn't dead. Who knew? I still haven't fixed the carrier although I intend to. If I were you I'd expo across the Canadian border and pick up a few of those sweet scepters with the correct gaskets for gasoline. I hear the scepters come with boxes of cracker jacks as prizes. Maine is right next door to the border isn't it? (I'm from the west, geography class didn't get that far east.) The "other" options are pretty expensive, I plan to get bumpers and all the other toys at some point, but while I'm working on it I'm going to go out and play. Be smart about it and you ought not have any problems.

Contrary to popular belief you won't spontaneously combust if you roll with fuel in your car.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Got my two Wavian cans today. So far just based on looks they look pretty nice. I have seen better, but I have seen a lot worse. Further testing needed, but I think I will be happy.

biere

Observer
In the jeep section, or just run a google because he pops up on jeep sites, jscherb has some options that might interest you.

I mostly read about his tj stuff because I own a tj. But for the following I think he has a setup for the wk.

Anyway, he has some side mount jerry can holders. Not really in production but probably not hard to look at his pics and your options and figure something out if the idea works for you.

The can winds up on the front fender in front of the door.

Lots of folks hate the idea of having fuel there, so if that won't work forget about it.

Having fuel on the back of the jeep in bumper to bumper traffic seems like a time you might have a neat accident and rupture a fuel can as well.

For those worried about the can being in the way when offroading, or even for those with the can on the back somehow, when you have room for 6 gallons of fuel siphon a can of fuel into the fuel tank on your jeep. This gets the weight of the fuel closer to the center of gravity for the jeep and gets the weight off the bumper or tire or where ever you had it.

His setup on the side of a tj is mostly removable, a hitch receiver is bolted to the frame and remains in place. The carrier and fuel can are only installed when needed and a hitch pin holds them in place. If worried about noise or movement read up on where to drill another hole and thread it and install a bolt to take up the play in the system.

Everyone has to decide on what will work for themselves.

I currently have not really gotten to where I was concerned about fuel but at some point I might.

I don't know if the kit to beef up the tj tailgate has been copied to beef up the other wrangler tailgates but for a few hundred bucks there is a setup out there from gr8tops that beefs up the tailgate hinges and allows it to easily support more weight. Jscherb also designed it and sold it to gr8tops.

A jeep is limited in many ways but I am always impressed with how light it is and how small it is compared to other vehicles I owned.

I figure I am more likely to go with a fuel can or two with the spare tire and beef up the tail gate hinges since I don't want a swingout rear bumper. I have an aftermarket bumper with a rated tow hitch and recovery points on it and I am happy with it.

To some extent I am wondering about the side mount idea for other stuff perhaps.

Not real sure, the jeep is mostly a daily driver right now and I need to finish a few things before I have to even come close to using it enough to figure out the decision I want to make.

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
It sounds like you're looking for a $100. fix for a $1K (or more) problem...
An after market bumper/tire rack can go along ways in areas other that just to carry fuel... but you've mentioned that isn't an option. How about the tire inside & a one off bumper with "fuel can carrier" ?
A roof rack can also help to remedy this... but you've mentioned that isn't an option...
You did mention a trailer which was going to be my suggestion, IMO your looking at a couple $K...

As you mentioned there are over sized tank options... which are pricey, but if they accomplish the end goal maybe they're worth the $... but the trailer might be a better place for the $...
The receiver hitch mount never appealed to me, but is probably the cheapest $ wise... will that be enough fuel ?

Maybe a few on the front bumper or on the side to the rear of the front tire G.I. style ?

I usually plan a gas stop as part of my trip... often knowing that the price for remote fuel will be more $$, but it's easier to find out here as opposed to where you are... Baja as mentioned has it''s own challenges with fuel & its quality... I probably wouldn't put it inside... just cause I would want the possible venting or spills...

What is the reason against a roof rack ?

Curt

monele

Adventurer
Does anyone have experience with the Gr8Tops exo-gate?

http://gr8tops.com/shop/wrangler-lj-2/tj-lj-exogate

It looks like an excellent way to beef up the support for a spare tire, and with the addition of a fabricated plate could be an excellent way to carry spare fuel, a jack or whatever else you might want to haul, at about 1/3-1/2 the cost of a bumper/swingaway system. I know Bestop made something similar for TJ's that opened with the gate (and I love Bestop's stuff) but the 2 I have experience with developed some serious rattles with trail use and a heavy tire. The Gr8tops looks to have fewer folding/moving parts.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Does anyone have experience with the Gr8Tops exo-gate?

http://gr8tops.com/shop/wrangler-lj-2/tj-lj-exogate

It looks like an excellent way to beef up the support for a spare tire, and with the addition of a fabricated plate could be an excellent way to carry spare fuel, a jack or whatever else you might want to haul, at about 1/3-1/2 the cost of a bumper/swingaway system. I know Bestop made something similar for TJ's that opened with the gate (and I love Bestop's stuff) but the 2 I have experience with developed some serious rattles with trail use and a heavy tire. The Gr8tops looks to have fewer folding/moving parts.

Terraflex makes one for the jk but it is like $600+

monele

Adventurer
A note to my post above. I just saw that the exogate is a product JSherb licensed to Gr8Tops and he has it on his LJ and a pic of him standing on the spare. He claims to weight 225# so that's darn beefy. I should think you could carry plenty of fuel off that mount if you fab up some brackets or know someone who can.

biere

Observer
I have a tj wranlger and on one of the jeep boards I read a thread by jscherb on most of the stuff he made for the tj and tj-long.

I don't own anything by him, but I consider the stuff well done and will own some once the budget recovers from a few hits from basic life.

He did do the exo-gate and with its basic design it is not hard to make brakets or modify something to attach to it. I use my tj for daily use and don't want to have a bumper/tire carrier with its own latch. I like the idea, but don't want the extra latch. I found a basic rear bumper that does what I want, rated hitch and good recovery points, and already have it. I have a stock size tire on the tailgate and before I add fuel cans or anything to that area I will get the exogate because it makes it easy to add some more brackets and it seems to handle the weight very well.

Jscherb also has a hard top, safaritop I think, for the tj and tj-long and it is for sale from gr8tops because he sold the idea to them.

His thread on the jeep forum shows him making prototypes and modifying stuff and he explains what he thinks rather well. Some folks have copied some of his ideas and he has no issues about it when he posts.

A search will turn up his stuff and by no means do I think his stuff has no competition, I just rather liked seeing how it was devoloped and tested and then put into production. While I wish the parts were cheaper, that is just my wallet talking. For the price I consider it fair and since stuff like the exogate is built so well I consider it a one time purchase that will only need replaced if it is damaged in a wreck.

86tuning

Adventurer
For all of you that are considering jerry cans for fuel, the NATO type steel ones with the flip tops are the best that I have ever used. Certified to not leak after a 10m drop (that's 33ft) is good enough for me. Easy to use, no wrenches required like with some of the mil spec ones to open after they've been tightened enough to not leak. Only catch? They're legal for sale in the whole world except USA and Canada.

v_man

Explorer
Just got these 2 three gallon Rotopax cans , they look good , can't wait to get them on the trail ...

IMG_3015.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94