Lets talk about gas storage

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
I suggest a little Google-****. I have seen a couple of Jerry can mounts that attach to the JK tailgate hinge. I have also seen a couple of different designs that bolt to the tramp stamp, or behind the spare mount, placing cans alongside the spare.

I searched the hell out of Google. The problem with using ANY tail gate mount is that these are heavy when full (6lbs per gallon x 5.28 gallons = 31.7 lbs PLUS the weight of the mount and the weight of the can). The sheet metal cannot handle that weight nor can the factory latch. The cans come in at roughly 10ish pounds, so 41-42 lbs per can, then I would guess another 10lbs for a mount rugged enough to handle that weight. The factory tail gate is just not designed for another 100 pounds on it. I am not all that inclined to go buy a Terraflex spare tire mount for nearly $500. At this point I am more worried about finding a quality can that I could put inside my Jeep til I get around to building a side mounted holder or a receiver mount.

DaveNay

Adventurer
Is this a good enough reason to not store gas cans inside your vehicle?

http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2...pped_in_car_overcome_by_fumes_police_say.html

Maria Fernandes worked four jobs, including shifts at two different Dunkin Donuts.

Often she drove from job to job, stopping along the road to catch a couple hours sleep, police said. She kept a container of gasoline in her 2001 Kia Sportage because occasionally she ran out of gas, authorities said.

Early Monday, the 32-year-old Newark woman pulled into a lot off Route 1 & 9 in Elizabeth for a nap. She apparently left the car running and was overcome by carbon monoxide mixed with fumes from the gas can that had overturned, police said. Fernandes was found dead in the car about eight hours later.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Is this a good enough reason to not store gas cans inside your vehicle?

http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2...pped_in_car_overcome_by_fumes_police_say.html

Multiple reasons she ended up dead. She slept in the car while it was running, she did not secure the can, and she did not clean up the mess. When I keep it inside it is strapped down, upright, and all the way at the back next to the vent. Windows stay open and I never sleep in there. The can comes out at night and sits in the shade. Like I said it is not the ideal way to transport it right now but until I find a solution that will not break things it will have to work. It really is not all that much different that people keeping propane tanks inside, or sleeping inside a camper. Cook tops can leak propane right into the cabin, or regulators can fail on a tank.

Erik N

Adventurer
What is it, with the need to carry extra gasoline?

Has ANYONE here ever run out of gas, and needed the extra? Helping a beggar not included...

Just top off your tank before leaving pavement.

Mo4130

Adventurer

Has ANYONE here ever run out of gas, and needed the extra? Helping a beggar not included...

You carry it as a safety buffer so in case you have to help someone or an emergency comes up you're prepared.
I have worked in the us coast guard for the better part of 8 years and it's that cavalier attitude that has me up all night looking for someone who just ran out of fuel or this old chestnut " I wasnt planning on being out that far/late". It's the unknowns that can suddenly change things for the worse.

And helping a begger you just proved the whole point of carrying extra gas.

Erik N

Adventurer
I have worked in the us coast guard for the better part of 8 years and it's that cavalier attitude that has me up all night looking for someone who just ran out of fuel or this old chestnut " I wasnt planning on being out that far/late".

Does the Coast Guard carry jerrycans w/ gasoline to distribute to trucks? Legitimate question. Those are not awash at sea. Drinking water, sure, but gas?

OK. You have a greater sense of charity than me. I deal w/ beggars/manipulators/victims/lost souls every day. I get paid to be compassionate, but off-duty my charity diminishes...

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer

I am not sure where you are but where I like to adventure to I could spend 2 or more weeks exploring all the roads and areas in a few unnamed areas. The ENTIRE North Wester area of of this state does not even have towns with names. They are owned by logging operations or a few people wanting a very distant cabin to get away or hunt at. It is not like we have gas stations all over the place like other states. From where my cabin is, only 6 miles off a paved road it takes about 45 minutes just to reach the closest town with gas, a town which I dont pass on my way there. Which means the closest place I can fuel up on my way up there is is about an hour and 15 minutes away, or 45 miles. That kind of limits how far I can go. When you drive on dirt roads you are going to burn more gas than you will on a highway which means more fill ups. There are places I go that I cant just say oh let me run to the store and get more gas...that might take 2-3 hours one way to get there, then turn around and drive back to waste 2-3 hours worth of fuel to get back to where I left off. I have needed extra multiple times. Hell just riding my wheeler in areas I have to bring fuel because I may not come across a place to get any for 2-3 days and there are places placed on wheeler/sled trails specifically for that that you cannot even drive to. The area I like to be in wheelers are not even allowed which means those places to not exist.

You carry it as a safety buffer so in case you have to help someone or an emergency comes up you're prepared.
I have worked in the us coast guard for the better part of 8 years and it's that cavalier attitude that has me up all night looking for someone who just ran out of fuel or this old chestnut " I wasnt planning on being out that far/late". It's the unknowns that can suddenly change things for the worse.

Exactly sir, what happens if you get stuck and you spend 2 hours trying to get yourself out. So much fuel wasted. Or if some poor guy pops a fuel line and dumps fuel on the ground, now he goes from half a tank to a few gallons. What happens if you get lost, or you want to get into those areas no one else goes. The extra gas is there to allow all that to happen. Having been in a SAR situation before having extra fuel let me stay out later and reach out farther than other people could. I NEVER push myself below 1/4 tank of fuel and I really do not like to get under 3/8 a tank before I fill up. You never know what can happen. Especially if you get stuck and get out late now the closest place is closed because it is after 6 (yes that happens ALL the time here, especially in the very rural areas). You going to sleep in the parking lot? What if you cant because you need to get to a hospital because you broke your arm or something else.

I am glad someone else understands.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
OK. You have a greater sense of charity than me. I deal w/ beggars/manipulators/victims/lost souls every day. I get paid to be compassionate, but off-duty my charity diminishes...

So you would leave a guy 100 miles from any form of civilization just because he ran out of gas? You might as well have his death on your hands. Maine isn't like Texas, you can't just pick up a phone and call for help, the whole north west region is undeveloped. You can't just hope AAA shows up to bail you out. The logging operations up there build giant base camps just for refueling equipment because it is not practical to find the nearest town if you want to fill up. Take 5 minutes and look at a map of Maine. Specifically the area east of Jackman and north Greenville. You will find nothing but thousands of miles of dirt roads.

Even when you want to get out there are no direct roads anywhere, you have to go where they went which makes no logical sense other than what areas they have to go around (all wetlands), or where the tress they want are. There are times where getting somewhere by where you think the road should be would only take an hour but because of how the roads actually run it might take 2-3. Add to that the roads are not maintained once logging in that area stops you may not be able to do more than 15-25mph or you may have to turn around and find a different route because a bridge washed out, the road washed out, or the road was physically blocked by nature or by the company.

Basically this ENTIRE area minus the camps around some lakes (which do not have power aside from what they generate) is all undeveloped (aside from old logging roads) and is uninhabited. You will find 3-4 air fields built by logging companies to get people out if they get hurt but that is it. They only way they can even call for help is by HAM, satellite, or by relaying messages via CB from truck to truck to get someone out there. That whole area is a giant mountain range.

10687986_10152986595124879_1899926032193576344_o.jpg

Last edited:

SnowedIn

Observer

Not everyone has a huge gas tank. Carrying a container of gas also gives you a lot more options for trail repairs, not to mention helping others out.

Robert Bills

Explorer
What is it with the need to carry extra gasoline? Has ANYONE here ever run out of gas, and needed the extra? Helping a beggar not included...

Yes. Three examples come to mind: (1) The Dusy Ershim trail, which takes 3 days to run and required all 20 gal. in my CJ-7's tank plus about 8 more from the two jerry cans I carried; and (2) a trip the length of Baja California (off pavement) which required the gas from both of my jerry cans when one of the Pemex stations on the way was out of gasoline and wouldn't have more until "manana" or perhaps the day after; and (3) loaning 5 gallons to a buddy when a rock punctured his fuel tank on the trail (temporarily repaired with a bar of soap wedged into the hole).

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Not everyone has a huge gas tank. Carrying a container of gas also gives you a lot more options for trail repairs, not to mention helping others out.

To make a point, my Jeep has a 22 gallon tank. Normal back roads driving I get 18-19 (50ish mph), which means if I ran my tank bone dry I could 418 miles on a tank. Toss in 250+ pounds of extra gear...water...people, then turn that speed down to 25 average maybe 35-40 tops that fuel mileage goes way down, now making sure I dont go under 1/4 tank (leaves me with 16.5 gallons, at say 15mpg), I get 247.5 miles out of a tank at best. I can eat that up in less than a day without ever seeing another person or a place I could get to for fuel.

Mo4130

Adventurer
Does the Coast Guard carry jerrycans w/ gasoline to distribute to trucks? Legitimate question. Those are not awash at sea. Drinking water, sure, but gas?

We used to carry gas but not anymore and we're not talking about taking extra gas for other people, I was more making the comment of you have a personal responsibility to have the basics to keep you out of a bind. I would say the same thing for an extra tire or something of the nature. I think we got off on a tangent about lending gas to other people.

What do you do for a job out curiosity?

jeepj667

Observer
I have two of the old NATO cans. Like the wavian ones. They are excellent. I have no qualms with putting them in the cab. They seal so well sometimes they are hard to open. They will either open with a burp, or the lids will be sucked closed and have to be forcefully pulled open. I've never had an issue with spilling gas on the outside of them either. I spent the night in the back of my runner with one on its side because I had thrown a blanket over it and forgot it was there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles