Lets talk about gas storage

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
I have been looking for a decent way to carry gas for trips. Really trying to go non vented as it sometimes will be carried inside my Jeep. Been thinking about going with Jerry cans but $60 a piece is more than I really want to spend for a can. Rotopax are out the question to me as I dont want to spend twice the money to carry the same fuel as a Jerry can.

Here is my real question, the rhino water cans are EXCELLENT for carrying water, what are the odds that the plastic is rugged enough to transport gas instead? Being $20 each appeals to me, I will never use the spout only siphon so that is not a problem there. Any other suggestions other than the cheap red cans?

Fyreman

Observer
Be patient and you can find scepter cans for $20-40 each. water cans just sound like a bad idea.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I still wouldn't store them inside a vehicle. Even non-vented cans will start to reek of gasoline once they start getting used. I suppose if you washed the cans completely every time you used them you might be able to keep the smell down but it certainly wouldn't be my first choice.

When I went to DVNP in 2011 I tried wrapping my old plastic "blitz" can in two heavy black plastic trash bags, thinking that would keep the gasoline stink out of the vehicle's interior. It didn't. Before the next trip I got a pair of RotoPax 3 gallon cans and they are easily mounted to the roof rack.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Be patient and you can find scepter cans for $20-40 each. water cans just sound like a bad idea.

I have been looking for weeks :/

I will take a look at those thanks.

I still wouldn't store them inside a vehicle. Even non-vented cans will start to reek of gasoline once they start getting used. I suppose if you washed the cans completely every time you used them you might be able to keep the smell down but it certainly wouldn't be my first choice.

When I went to DVNP in 2011 I tried wrapping my old plastic "blitz" can in two heavy black plastic trash bags, thinking that would keep the gasoline stink out of the vehicle's interior. It didn't. Before the next trip I got a pair of RotoPax 3 gallon cans and they are easily mounted to the roof rack.

Sometimes I do not have a choice. I do not have a roof rack, so my only other options are inside or on my hitch basket which I hate using because it kills my angles and it rattles SO bad. Plus it takes nothing to steal one off one of those. I remember a conversation with a vender not long ago (I forget which one), he told me that the water cans and the gas cans they had were the same thing only difference was color and the regulations that followed them. I checked out my rhino pack thing and I couldnt find a plastic type. Was hoping to see that is was hdpe.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Sounds like you have a Jeep... what kind?

I consider theft of a gas can a fairly faint worry, since I'm usually sleeping right next to the Jeep... :) I'll third the notion of not wanting to carry gas inside with you. Put it outside... You do NOT want a spill of gas inside. Ever. It stinks enough to give you a headache even with just a little spill... :)

That said, I have carried a 5 gallon plastic gas can inside my jeep, strapped down well. It didn't leak, and didn't stink, but it puffed up to about 20psi when shaken... Eeeek. Haven't needed to carry gas in a long time, but if I do, I'm going to a side mount Blitz like jscherb made. Or a 5 gal mounted to the tire rack, if I ever build a tire rack... Looks like jscherb did that too, later in the thread, though I want mine beside the tire, not in front of or behind it. :)

Chris

Last edited:

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Sounds like you have a Jeep... what kind?

I consider theft of a gas can a fairly faint worry, since I'm usually sleeping right next to the Jeep... :) I'll third the notion of not wanting to carry gas inside with you. Put it outside... You do NOT want a spill of gas inside. Ever. It stinks enough to give you a headache even with just a little spill... :)

That said, I have carried a 5 gallon plastic gas can inside my jeep, strapped down well. It didn't leak, and didn't stink, but it puffed up to about 20psi when shaken... Eeeek. Haven't needed to carry gas in a long time, but if I do, I'm going to a side mount Blitz like jscherb made. Or a 5 gal mounted to the tire rack, if I ever build a tire rack... Looks like jscherb did that too, later in the thread, though I want mine beside the tire, not in front of or behind it. :)

Chris

I have a JK wrangler. My mounting options are very limited currently. Having factory bumpers, no swing out tire holder, or anything else I could build onto. Also this being my daily driver I really do not want to go with something that is going to be on there all the time. This past weekend I threw a cheapy tank in the back and I got no smell but those cans are hard to store well. I thought about making a hitch mounted solution but then I cannot use my shackle mount should I need that for a recovery situation or a tie down point. I cannot mount off the spare tire mount as the factory gate/mount REALLY hates the extra weight.

Maybe I can weld something up like that guy made for the side of his jeep but make it bolt to the frame using existing holes so I can unbolt it when needed.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Can you fit a bigger tank in the stock location ? Transferring fuel from cans sucks.

No I cannot. Only way to put another take down there would cost me probably $2000 at least to move the exhaust and buy the tank.

There are places/trips I have wanted to go here that require extra fuel to carried, unless I want to drive hours back to a town to refuel. Only probably is, the areas I want to go have no towns.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
My Jeep YJ had a pretty good range with a full tank. If I refilled when I got off the highway, I was able to play around in Ocala National Forest all weekend. Must be one heck of an off road trip.

I'd bolt down a proper racing fuel cell in the back of the Jeep. Vent it outside, or to the existing fuel system, properly. Use a 12v DC pump to refill the main tank. Don't under estimate how badly it stinks to burn to death after a simple rollover splits a cheap plastic water jug like an egg. And Jeeps rollover often.

I would only use that tank when absolutely needed. I'd remove it whenever possible. An offroad trailer might be wiser if you have family with you.

Sadly this is one of those reasons I got rid of my Jeep. A pickup has 38 gallons, and plenty of room in the bed for drums, tanks, whatever the mission requires.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
I could do roughly 400-410 miles from completely full to running out of gas on normal roads. Turn that speed down to dirt road speed and that goes down quite a lot really. I hate going under 1/4 out there, just not safe. I can easily do 350miles in a day up there. It os outrageous the amount of logging roads up there, new and old.

Checkout this my thread to get some tips and see some alternatives you can buy at a great price. Whatever you decide to buy, I prefer plastic over can. Read my thread to see and decide for yourself what you wish to have or own. Rotoplax is a great plastic. The sceptre brand is plastic and is sturdy. Sceptre has some cheaper alternative plastic cans. Click on my thread and see pics below.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/129867-Plastic-fuel-Jerry-Can-VS-Metal-Fuel-Jerry-Can

Nf9UzQd.jpg

XB7LyN9.jpg

ejF3s5G.jpg

IxaCHk9.jpg

8rsYVtD.jpg

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I have a JK wrangler. My mounting options are very limited currently. Having factory bumpers, no swing out tire holder, or anything else I could build onto. Also this being my daily driver I really do not want to go with something that is going to be on there all the time. This past weekend I threw a cheapy tank in the back and I got no smell but those cans are hard to store well. I thought about making a hitch mounted solution but then I cannot use my shackle mount should I need that for a recovery situation or a tie down point. I cannot mount off the spare tire mount as the factory gate/mount REALLY hates the extra weight.

Maybe I can weld something up like that guy made for the side of his jeep but make it bolt to the frame using existing holes so I can unbolt it when needed.

I suggest a little Google-****. I have seen a couple of Jerry can mounts that attach to the JK tailgate hinge. I have also seen a couple of different designs that bolt to the tramp stamp, or behind the spare mount, placing cans alongside the spare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne